1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

evening out the arms

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by tammy, Oct 21, 2004.

1. tammy

tammy Well-Known Member

My right arm is significantly stronger than my left arm. I've been using the same weights for both because I don't want to end up with asymmetrical arms, but I feel like I'm probably struggling with my left arm more than I should and I wonder if I'm doing more damage than good.

Before I started working out, I really didn't have any visible muscle definition so I never thought much of it, but today I flexed and I already notice that my right arm is bigger than my left.

So how do you resolve this problem? Should I just stop working my right arm until my left arm can catch up? Maybe lower the weights for my right arm or just do fewer sets on the right arm than the left?

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

Weakside rules

Tammy ...

1. Use unilateral (one-sided) movements, i.e. one-armed rows or one-armed curls versus two-armed

2. Always train the WEAK SIDE FIRST

3. Never do more repetitions with the strong side than the weak side. For example, if your weak side can only handle 12 reps, then use the same weight and stop at 12 reps for the strong side

Jeremy

3. billy_everette

billy_everette Well-Known Member

Several months ago, I experienced this when performing alternating DB curls. I suggest that you start with your left hand first, then the right. If you can't complete a rep with your left hand, do not finish off your right hand.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Could you use the same approach for dumbell flyes?