1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Erythritol

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Justitia, May 28, 2006.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I haven't found much in this forum about Erythritol, a product used as a sweetner in a protein bar that looks rather clean: Parrillo Bars

I did find this post, however, about sugar and sugar substitutes in general that was interesting... but nothing about Erythritol.

I would like to order protein bars to keep on hand. But I find in general, protein bars don't keep "on hand" but find their way to my stomach rather quickly. They taste so good, I start eating them like candy and it is hard for me to stop. I assume that the prtein bars I have had, have some form of sugar buried in them (though I looked). I find when I eat sugar I get triggered to eat more and it is hard for me to stop.

I don't seem to be triggerd by artificial sweetners. I drink at most 5 cans of diet soda a week, some itmes I won't have one for months... I will use splenda in stuff occaisionally but mostly I drink my coffee & tea without sweetner.

Whenever I have boght protein bars before, it does nto take long for me to gain weight from them. Again I am presuming hidden junk.

SO what do people know about Erythritol?

I am thinking of trying one box of these bars and see what happens. If I get out of control, I will give them away. But I would rather avoid risking a binge on them.

2. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

It's a wonderful sweetener - a 'natural' sugar alcohol with only 0.2 cals/gm, making it fewer calories than that bulked up powdered splenda and the regular sugar alcohols. I buy tons of it from honeyville grain for use in baking. It's also digested differently than other sugar alcohols so it won't cause the bathroom two-step problems :). Only negatives - when baking with it it can crystalize up (which can be a good thing) and it also has a 'cool' taste like some of the other sugar alcohols. Another negative is the cost- it's very expensive!
    ----------------------
    Erythritol is a white crystalline powder that is odorless, with a clean sweet taste that is similar to sucrose. It is approximately 70% as sweet as sucrose and flows easily due to its non-hygroscopic character. Like other polyols, erythritol does not promote tooth decay and is safe for people with diabetes. However, erythritol’s caloric value of 0.2 calories per gram and high digestive tolerance distinguishes it from some other polyols. It has approximately 7 to 13% the calories of other polyols and 5% the calories of sucrose. Because erythritol is rapidly absorbed in the small intestine and rapidly eliminated by the body within 24 hours, laxative side effects sometimes associated with excessive polyol consumption are unlikely when consuming erythritol containing foods.

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/erythritol.html