1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Bike Tires / Tubes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by chicanerous, Sep 14, 2014.

1. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So, my bike came with Kenda K152 700x25c tires. My rear tire hasn't really held its air since I bought it, which was earlier in the summer. (Probably should have made a claim.) After a good pump, it would typically stay inflated for the length of my bike ride and then be deflated the next day. I continued riding it this way up until yesterday when I realized it was severely deflated 8 miles out from my house.

I was thinking about upgrading the tires to some Continental Ultra Gatorskins. Does it matter what brand of tubes I get for the bike? I assume the problem is actually with the inner tube. Mainly I would like them to last a while and not cost me too much given the low mileage I put on my bike currently (about 10-25 miles / day around town for my aerobic health).

Any suggestions?

#1 chicanerous, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

The Gatorskins will serve you well. They are my current training tire of choice. The roads around here are littered with glass and other hazards, and after putting thousands of training miles on several pair I've only suffered one flat.

The downsides of Gatorskins are that they are not that great on wet roads, they are not the fastest rolling tires around, they don't provide the smoothest ride quality and they don't corner as well as many other tires. These shortcomings are not a big deal in most circumstances, but I thought I'd mention them for posterity.

Your bike came stock with 25c tires, and I'd stick with that size when you get your new Gatorskins. Just make sure you get 700x25c tubes (I've had good luck with Sunlite tubes) and you should be good to go for a long time. Be sure to check your tire pressure before each ride, as it's normal for them to lose a little pressure overnight.

Always carry a spare tube and some means of inflating it, of course. I recently wrote an article detailing what I carry on road rides, which may be of interest: http://www.johnstonefitness.com/2014/06/30/what-i-carry-on-road-rides/

3. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

You're right to ask about inner tubes: in your case an inner tube holds the air, not the tire itself.

John made some good tire suggestions, but for about $5 you can replace the original tube in your tire, and you should be good to go. However, before installing the new tube, run your hand around the inside of the tire to see if there's small piece of wire or glass that pierced the tire and the tube. If you install the new tube without removing the object from the tire casing, instant flat!

There are many YouTube videos on repairing flats and installing tubes. It's an essential skill for a cyclist to have.

Good luck.

4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thanks for your suggestions! Bike is working great now.