1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Level SPIKE!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Santanj, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Santanj

Santanj Active Member

Hi folks,

So, I have my cutting diet and workout plan that I've been following exactly (no missed workouts, no missed meals) for the first 40 days of my cut. I noticed slightly decreased energy levels for most of the 40 days until yesterday. Yesterday morning I woke up 3 hours earlier than usual, absolutely wired. My workout felt almost effortless and I had MUCH more energy than I would typically have on your average Wednesday. Today I seem to be back to normal.

Under uncontrolled circumstances, I would chalk this up to maybe a dietary thing ("Oh, those chocolate covered espresso beans for breakfast were a bad decision"), but my meals haven't changed in nearly 7 weeks. My sleep schedule (aside from the unplanned super early wake up time) hasn't changed. I'm a graduate student who's in the middle of writing his thesis; all 7 days of the week are identical in terms of structure.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of anomalous energy swing? Any educated thoughts as to potential causes? I'm not complaining, I just found it curious/odd.

Thanks!

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Don't really know your carb intake, but it sounds like the classic mood swings people go through when on a hypo-caloric diet. Especially if carb intake is low. Combine this with the neurological factor where motivation is high, desire is strong, and you will have a clash with what is going on physiologically and psychologically. Very normal. Good luck with your cut. :)

3. Santanj

Santanj Active Member

Huh, thanks Mastover! I wasn't aware that mood swings can be normal. I just concluded Week 6, and though things seem to be going pretty well (haven't missed a meal or a workout, weight loss seems to be going as planned, measurements are reasonable, and strength hasn't started dropping off at all - though I may have plateaued on a lift or two) - this feedback in conjunction with John Stone's post today about hitting the wall last year may make me more critical of the psychological aspects of my progress as I dig deeper.

All told, I'm nearing the halfway point (anticipate a ~14 week cut) - and while I'm usually a very all-or-nothing sort of person, I would be wise to leave my plan adaptable so I don't totally burn out before the summer.

As an aside, my carb intake is ~40% of my overall calories, as a 40/40/20 split seemed to work for me on my last cut. I'm considering tinkering around with the ratios (particularly in the realm of adding a bit of fat in place of some carbs), but I may save that for summer maintenance to see how that affects my overall mental and physical shape.

Thanks again!