1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Drinks While Cutting?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by recyfer, Dec 18, 2005.

1. recyfer

recyfer Well-Known Member

I was wondering if drinking Full Throttle Energy drinks and Monster Enery drinks would give me the same empty calories that beer and soda. Wondering because they had a similar fizz and had approximately 120 - 130 calories each. Thanks

2. hyoogeness

hyoogeness Well-Known Member

Yes, they are just as bad as non-"energy" sodas. Energy Drinks are sodas with different flavourings and the same "stuff" (whatever it is they're pitching, caffeine, taurine, etc) that you get with energy drinks can usually be bought in a zero calorie form.

3. Lost

Lost Well-Known Member

i think txitalian used to drink energy drinks all the time. maybe he will drop in with some insight.

4. sigakoer

sigakoer Well-Known Member

I believe the only soft drinks you should be looking at are special sports drinks with minerals and electrolytes, and which are sweetened with glucose and maltodextrin. Those would be fine to drink inbetween sets while lifting, and could in fact improve your results. Just put comparably less carbs in your PWO shake to compensate.

5. RM. Andersson

RM. Andersson Well-Known Member

If you drink sport/energy drinks during your training it might make it possible to train longer and/or harder.

I think it would probably be OK if you are bulking and the goal is to build muscle fast. I wouldn´t do it if I´m cutting and want to get rid of fat fast. In that case I prefer to drink water during training and eat carbs and protein after training.

6. AngelOfMusic

AngelOfMusic Well-Known Member

7. sigakoer

sigakoer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely boosts the lifts, which is great. Come to think of it, why shouldn't your drinking your protein+carbs while lifting be superior to PWO? I read an article by John Berardi where he advises people on cutting diet to drink all their protein/carb shake while lifting and no PWO at all, to feed the muscles when they need the energy the most while avoiding the insulin boost in the first place. Haven't put any more research in this subject, but it kinda makes sense.

8. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

diet energy drinks...

diet rockstar and diet redbull sometimes become my pre-cardio friends

9. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Try the low carb Monsters(with the blue M). They have 20 calories, 6 carbs/6 sugar. I also like diet rock star as they have 0 calories/carbs/sugar.

Jason

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I like the diet energy drinks flavor about as much as the sugared ones, since energy drinks generally have a bit of bitter taste to them anyway.

I personally like Sobe No Fear, Full Throttle, Rock Star, and Monster, in that order. I'd put Mountain Dew MDX sugar free in there somewhere, but I'm not sure how much of a real energy drink it is compared to the additives in the others. It might be more of a standard soda with a higher caffine level.

11. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

Wut It Dew!

12. ToddB

ToddB Well-Known Member

A friend has been touting Redline as his pre workout energy drink. It comes in a can the size of Redbull, and he only drinks half of it and he is amped.

13. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Coffee.

14. ToddB

ToddB Well-Known Member

Now you're talking. Being in the land of the green mermaid will do that to you, although I won't drink there.