1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Endomorphs

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by mastover, Jul 4, 2011.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

The following is what I stress and coach for my competitive bodybuilder/figure athletes but this can also apply to the recreational lifter, as well. Especially if they have the desire and consistency required.

Nutrition will be the most crucial factor for endomorphs. They seem to hold a lot of water and may also have a very sluggish thyroid coupled with severe insulin resistance. They also hold onto glycogen stores at a very stubborn rate and may not even use up all glycogen stores with 4-5 days of zero (or close to zero) carbs. An endomorph can actually go as long as 7-9 days before glycogen stores are depleted. The best course of action is cycling carbs/protein. High fat/high protein/low carb for several days, followed by a moderate carb/low fat day.

For cardio, endomorphs respond more favorably to high intensity cardio for 15-25 minutes, 5x per week. They also respond better to multiple short bursts of hard cardio spread out during the day. As an example, 24 minutes of cardio for an endo would be optimal when splitting it into two 12 minute bouts, or three 8 minutes sessions for effective fat burning. Endomorphs also respond better with shorter rest times between sets with weight lifting, where the lifting session becomes more aerobic in nature, as opposed to longer rest times. Cutting rest intervals to 30-40 seconds will burn a great amount of body fat. Further, endomorphs are very resilient to overtraining and thrive on volume training, while pushing the envelope with intensity and keeping short rest times between sets.

For a possible under-functioning thyroid, take your body temperature 10 minutes after waking up in the morning. If the reading is 97.6 or below, the evidence points to an under-active thyroid gland.

#1 mastover, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Being a Endo myself, can I pick your brain further on this issue?

I enjoy endurance type training because it does burn more fat. But, am I doing myself any justice by doing pure strength training where the rest periods are longer? In a endurance routine, the rest period may be as little as 30 seconds while in doing a strength routine, the rest can be anywhere from a minute to 2 minutes. Do I drop the strength and stick with endurance or keep mixing it up?

I've started following a modified Paleo diet as too many complex carbs just leave me bloated. I have a serving of complex carbs post workout and that is it. The rest of my carbs come in the form of veggies. 9 cups of veggies per day is my minimum. If I'm having a extra hungry day, I can eat up to 12.

Do you find any problem with that? My energy is good and my lifts are progressing.

I don't have any thyroid issues. I just had my yearly check everything blood work done a couple of months ago. The only thing that is off is my Vitamin D levels ( too low) so that is being dealt with.

3. mastover

Hi Zilla, it depends on your goals. What do you want to achieve short term and long term. Strength training is fine, but if you are an endomorph, strict attention to the diet will be the most critical component for fat loss - especially if you are bouncing back and forth with strength training and more aerobic type training. You have to know your macro requirements, then eat the foods you enjoy to meet the aforementioned requirements, by day's end.

4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

My goals are simple. Drop the fat and end up with a athletic-type build. Think Janet Jackson when she isn't going through one of her pudgy phases. I'm built too much like a tank to aim for any other dancer-type body. :lol:

I lift 3 days a week and I enjoy it. Sometimes I get in cardio on lifting days other times I don't. Lately my choice for cardio on those days is 20minutes with the jump rope. Non-liftting days I do whatever form of cardio tickles my funny bone with a single rest day every week.

I'm still working on the macro issue. I think I've got it down for the most part, but I'm still fine tuning.

5. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

Speaking as an endomorph, what you are saying mirrors my personal experience almost exactly. My best results were obtained while doing high volumes of HIIT (4-6 times per week) of 15-20 minute bouts. I can push the volume on strength training as well, although not nearly as much as cardio. I've dieted with no grains/carbs whatsoever outside of fruits and vegetables for months on end, all the while with increases in my performance (speed and strength), an increase in muscle size, and a decrease in bodyfat.

My advice to other endomorphs out there would be to heed mastover's advice. Stick to the high fat/high protein/low carb diet with the occasional carb-up. It does wonders for me.

Very solid advice. Thanks again, Mastover. :tu::nod:

6. Jnwaco

Jnwaco Member

I'm endo as well. Body temp normally runs from 96.8 to 97.2. Had my thyroid checked last year during my annual physical and they said it was fine. I'm sure they just check to make sure it's within a healthy range, but I'm sure mine is running on the low end.

I've also found a lower carb diet to have the best effects for me, though for "cardio" I do about an hour of hill walking every day - just a little over 2 miles, pushing my son in his stroller. Builds crazy calf muscles. So far, 13 weeks, and I've lost 44 pounds, though 9 of that was in the first week, going from 267 to 223 during this time. I'm just now starting to see the 1.5-2 pounds per week weight loss, whereas before I was losing about 3. I have a carb-up meal once a week that I look forward to, but I'm still eating a bit below maintenance that day.

7. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

The temperature thing really freaked me out. I checked mine this morning several times and it was around 96.5 degrees give or take .3 degrees....and I'm not sick or anything. Damn, I should probably get my thyroid checked out.

8. raptor

raptor Well-Known Member

Aram, thank you for posting this great information.

9. mastover

My pleasure.... that is why I am here. :)

10. mastover

Another great option for pure endo's is a different approach entirely. A modified anabolic diet. Take in 20-30 grams of carbs for breakfeast and some carbs intra and post workout. (Amount depends on your personal stats) The rest of the time eat 20-25 grams of fat and 45-50 grams protien per meal, only when you get hungry.

Stay with fruits, veggies for the majority of your carbs and avoid starchy carbs like oatmeal, potatoes, etc. Omega 3's for fats would be very, very important for an endo. I got endo's who are hitting 12% BF WITH THIS STRATEGY.

A mild carb load with the starchy carbs should be taken in every 5-9 days depending on your personal insulin sensitivity. Water intake should be high and constant.

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I'm not a true endo, but rather a meso with endo leanings, and this has worked nicely for me in the past. From memory, I think I dropped around 30 pounds in 4 months eating like this. I ended up with four meals each day and had fruit as my PWO snacks. The weekly carb load was lot of fun, too. ;)

12. aimforcute

aimforcute Active Member

I did the temperature check and sure enough, it was 96.5. I always felt like I saw the best results when I cut my carbs as low as possible. Great thread, it may have just steered me in the right direction. Thanks Aram for this!

13. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Aram - Is there a benchmark or "celing" for calories on these days, or is it as simple as eating fat and protein every time you feel hungry?

Any formula for determining the carb load totals? How many grams that day?

Sounds like something I may give a shot at some point.

14. mastover

Yes, eat only when hungry. There is no arbitrary "one-size-fits-all" number. This depends upon the individual. This diet can also be used for any body type. As an example, a mesomorph would eat only when hungry with 50gP, 30gC, 20gF. This is how I dieted for my last show. I was about 150 lbs. A meso who is 25 lbs. heavier than me would probably have to increase his macro's for each meal.

15. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

What about a meso who is 80 pounds heavier? :lol:

Sorry... :o I'll wait for a meso-specific thread if one pops up. I promise no more hijacking the endo thread. :D

16. mastover

Endo/Mesomorphs have a tendency to gain fat easily. They need to follow a program geared toward building a harder and leaner physique. They respond well to heavy, high-rep work. There is also a need to include basic movements without neglecting detail and finishing exercises. For example, a leg workout could be comprised of heavy high rep squats followed by leg extensions and lunges. Endo/Mesomorphs can overtrain somewhat and can get away with doing more heavy sets than their ecto/mesomorph counterparts. It is possible to overtrain an endo/mesomorph, but not as quickly as an ecto/mesomorph type. Endo/mesomorphs also respond well to variety. For example, try hitting muscles from a large number of angles in each workout, then totally changing workouts in three to four week increments. Cardiovascular activity is another aspect of preparation. Endo/mesomorphs can look soft if too many long duration cardio sessions are performed.

Diet should be High protein, moderate carb, moderate fat. But total calories should be cycled. Maybe 3 weeks high carbs, followed with two week lower carbs/higher protein.

If you are a true mesomorph, you are truly blessed and will respond to any type of training and diet protocol. I also believe that as one progresses, your body type can change. When I first began dieting and training, I was a pure ectomorph complete with many physical and medical problems. Over time, with patience, persistence, and pain toleration (my "3 P's" for success) I transcended into a mesomorph.... The perfect body type for the competitive bodybuilder.