1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Emoticons

Discussion in 'Technical' started by NME, Jan 30, 2004.

1. NME

NME Well-Known Member

I've noticed while posting at work that when I click on an emoticon I get a javascript error. I'm using IE 6, so it may be a browser issue (I haven't noticed a problem using Safari or Opera at home). As opposed to asking to you to look into this "error" (which may just be on my end), I have a request:

Instead of having the mouse over text output the name of the emoticon that my cursor is on top of, could you have the mouse over text show the key combination required to output that particular emoticon (i.e. ; + ) = ;) )?

I know that may be a bit tedious to do for just one person, but I imagine others may have this issue (if so, I'm sure they'll confirm it here). You'd also be surprised how many times I've tried to use the "thumbs up" emoticon with no luck only to have to resort to the "wink" emoticon instead.

If you get around to this at some point, I'd appreciate it.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Interesting error. I'm not able to duplicate it running IE 6 under NT, XP, 2000 and 98. Maybe try putting the forums in your "trusted" zone temporarily and see if it is a browser security setting issue.

All that aside, I like your idea a lot. People don't need to know the "name" of the emoticon they are about to use, but the keystroke information would be much more useful. I'll get it changed while I eat my lunch. :)

3. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

I notice a different error in Safari -- the smilies box runs off the side and a horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear. In Mozilla the smilie box (beige?) runs off the side into the background (dark blue) area and totally kills itself.

It's probably an HTML issue with the smilies table being a fixed width (133) and that not being wide enough. I'm not exactly sure.

I'm willing to do some testing or put up screenshots if anybody's going to look into it.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Could you please? That would help, I'll look into it for sure.

5. andi

andi Well-Known Member

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks, that picture helps. When using IE, the "Message" window resizes itself to automatically allow for the 4-column smile box. Firebird does not seem to do this correctly. Can you please try clearing your cache and see if the problem remains? Thanks.

7. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Nope, still get the same thing. It's not that big a deal for me, I rarely use smilies aside from the wink anyway ;-)

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've reported the problem to vB, I'll let you all know what they say!

9. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

<Don't want to start a holy war>
    I'd ask them to test in a standards compliant browser, like Mozilla or Firebird. If they test in IE they'll never see this problem, or any others.
    </war avoided>

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Actually they do comprehensive testing using all kinds of browsers, and in fact report Firebird to be the most compatible with vB! Keep in mind that this is a RC (Release Candidate) version, so there are still some bugs to be squashed. :)

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Andi and Daveo,

No one at vB has responded yet, so I've been doing some noodling on my own. How's it look now?

12. andi

andi Well-Known Member

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Well darn. I can't just make one strip of all of them, as it would extend to far down the page. I could display just 13 or so at once, but then the user would have to click a "more smiles" link to see the rest.

I think since you can see them all well enough now to use them and at this point it's mainly an aesthetics issue, I'll leave it like this for a day or two and see if the developers have vB have anything to add. If not, I'll probably restrict it to one column and 13 or 14 smiles and add the "more smiles" link.

14. andi

andi Well-Known Member

ain't no big thang John- thanks for all you've already done! This place rocks!

:spaz:

I just like that one.

15. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

I saw on the vB forums that one (lady?) wanted to put her smilies in rows beneath the composition box.

That'd make it cleaner when/if you want to add smilies.

BUT, it's working just fine for me in Safari. It works well enough in Camino, but I really don't think anybody uses that :o

And I agree with Andi, this one rocks :spaz:

Yup. :nod:

And now that I've figured out how, here's how it looks now.

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

It sure would... I might be able to hack a new template, but in the meantime I may have figured out a more simple workaround.

How's it look now in Firebird?

17. andi

andi Well-Known Member

sexy!! I can see 'em all and they're all in their nice little box and everything! (I'd show you but I'm at work now).

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Very cool, glad all is well in smileland.