1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Embarrassed to post but...

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by davey_fl, Jan 31, 2004.

1. davey_fl

davey_fl Well-Known Member

First read about John over at fark. This happens to me every winter. I usually run a marathon in October and after that... nothing until April. During which time I put on 20 lbs (or more). Well this time I'm sticking to John's program and want end results something like his. I only started on the 13th of January. The scale says I've lost 5lbs but I don't really see it yet. I'm doing HIIT and Max-OT so maybe I'm putting muscle on at the same time? Anyway, here are my week-to-week pictures (don't laugh). One thing I think I have to accept is that initially I might not see much change... anyway... here ya go:

Week1
    [​IMG]

Week2
    [​IMG]

Week3
    [​IMG]

By the way... also a Net Admin ;)

davey

2. neckowi

neckowi Well-Known Member

From everything I've read, you won't notice change for several more weeks. I've been going since November, and honestly I don't see much if a difference. However, I've gotten many comments about how much weight I've lost. When we look at ourselves every day, it's hard to notice sometimes. :confused: But all we can do is keep going. :claplow:

3. JazzyJersey

JazzyJersey Well-Known Member

You're on your way! Congratulations.

Tell us about your training and diet. We all know that food makes the man.

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Congratulations for getting started and posting your pictures -- welcome to the forums!

Looks to me like your face is a little more lean now, and you should be seeing results in other areas within a few more weeks. Keep it up and good luck!

:tu:

5. davey_fl

thank you very much for the kind words and positive feedback! I'm following John's routine quite closely. I'm doing cardio HIIT for 23-25 minutes 6 times a week. Also, Sunday I do Back and Trapezius workout MAX-OT, Tuesday I do Pecs and Triceps MAX-OT, Thusday I do Biceps and Deltoids MAX-OT. I'm also doing crunches 6 times a week, 100-200 a day. I'm using the speadsheet John used, modified a bit for myself. I'd love some feedback on the eating and workout if you don't mind. I'm trying to follow the 40-40-20 as much as possible, but I see that my fat intake is generally around 8-9% per day, and sometimes carbs are higher than protein. I'm using supplements as shown on the speadsheet:

http://www.kulkarnicorp.com/~dms12/transform/transformation.html

Thanks to all! It's this forum (and John) that keeps me motivated for that final outcome and life change!

take care

davey

6. Poetik Proze

Poetik Proze Well-Known Member

I can see some good improvements. This is from personal experience, but you will start to see more of a change after the fourth week and 5th week. Keep it up! There is no reason for anybody to laugh at you now because a lot of us are going through the same thing; there will be no reason for you to be laughed at in maybe a few months!

7. davey_fl

Hi guys... any comments on the workout/diet info?

thanks!

8. Greensheep

Greensheep Well-Known Member

Hi Davey, i'll just throw in my 2 cents in relation to your workouts
    if i were you, i'd change a couple of things:
    firstly, i would reduce the frequency of your ab workouts. Although they do tend to recover quicker than most muscle groups, i would still not work them more than twice or at most three times per week. Try to give them a really tough workout to promote the maximum growth (it's perfectly possible for your abs to grow during a fat-loss program despite calorie restrictions. Mine do, lol).
    As an example, i'd do 6 sets of approx 30 crunches, and when i say crunch, i mean CRUNCH, lol remember that the abdominals work like an accordian, no a hinge, so take the crunches nice and slow and squeeze your abs as tight as possible. I'd say if you can do more than 30 crunches in a set then ur not squeezing hard enough, lol.

In terms of your other weights workouts, the only thing that i would loosely reccommend is a little re-organisation of when certain muscle groups are worked.
    I use a 3 day split as you do, but i split as follows:

Chest/Delt/Tri
    Back/Bi/Traps
    Legs (dont forget those legs! lol I dont know where i'd be without the glorious squat, lol))

I split like this mainly because the muscles in each group are all closely related. For example: when you do bench press for chest, you also work the Delts and triceps. When you work military press for delts, you also work triceps.
    The same goes for the second split, exercises for the back like deadlift and pull-ups also work the biceps. The traps also come into play with back exercises like deadlift.

So what your effectively doing is working related muscle groups as hard as possible in a single workout, and then you're giving them a full week to repair. The last thing a muscle wants is to be worked when it's still trying to repair itself (no, i dont talk to my muscles! lol.... They talk to me but i just ignore them, lolol.)

As always, this is just my own opinion that i've gained from my own training. I'll have a look at your nurition in a while and see if i can make any reccomendations.
    Keep up the good work, this game is all about consistant dedication. Stick with it and you'll reach your goals in no time!

Greeno :)

EDIT: i'm afraid i cant make any comments on you HIIT, i havent done any research into the method yet, but am planning to implement it in a few weeks.

9. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Actually, I do have few suggestions as far as your diet goes:

- Oatmeal or Kashi instead of Special K.
    - Drop the white rice, have brown rice instead.
    - Fruit is not that good when cutting, it's loaded with sugars. If you are going to eat fruit, do it in the morning, not at 5:00 or 10:00 PM! I'd switch the fruit out for a can of tuna or something for a mid-afternoon snack.
    - Potatoes are not good while cutting. Loads of carbs, high GI. Sweet potato would be better if you must have a spud, lower GI.
    - I'd eliminate the corn for dinner and have a green veggie. Corn has lots of carbs and sugars (I'm not sure why your nutritional info shows 0 sugars for corn, that can't be correct).
    - Try to eat dinner earlier if possible.
    - Limit your dinner to a lean meat and as many green veggies as you can eat. Drop the processed carbs like the hamburger bun!
    - Try to get more of your protein from food sources and save the shakes for post-workout.

Hope this helps!

10. Greensheep

Damn your fast John, lol, I was just about to recommend droppin the special K for oatmeal, lol.
    Cant beat Johns advice in terms of nutrition. I would just add, that if you're having trouble gettin your fat intake up to your plan, then try supplementing with an unsaturated fat, possible sources are:
    - Flax seed oil(if you're in the UK, this is very expensive)
    - Safflower oil
    - High Strength Cod Liver Oil (my favourite! admitadly, it tastes like licking out an old sardine can lol, but it's much cheaper than flax oil in the UK)
    - Olive oil (can be used in some of your cooking)

just be careful with the servings

11. davey_fl

John and Greeno...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll swap the rice out for brown rice, and do away with the potato. I had come to the conclusion that corn was bad and I've switched to broccoli and peas. About the Cereal, I looked at the numbers re: Special K, Kashi (not avail in Canada) and Oatmeal but I'm not seeing much of a difference - what am I missing and why are they better? I'll drop the fruit. I'm not a big fruit eater anyway but found it helped me over the hunger periods to the next meal. If I were to have something like the GardenBurger, what type of bun would be better, if any? Or do I drop the garden/soy burger altogether?

Is it necessary to have the fat up to about 20? If I'm hanging around 10% is that bad?

Thanks for the workout tips. Now that I've added weight to the crunches they are quite a bit harder, so I'll need the rest.

Thanks guys!

davey

12. Greensheep

Hey davey,
    if you check out the ingredients and nutritional information you can see that your special K contains added sugar (must likely added to the cereal and the berries). Pure sugar like this is termed a 'simple carbohydrate'. This is beecause it's very simple and quick for your body to digest and send into the blood stream as glucose, and hence will give you a quick boost of energy. This is not ideal, as one of the main foundations of fat-loss is to maintain a constant metabolism, this is why you try to eat more than the normal 3 meals throughout the day. Our bodies dont like too many 'spikes' while they're trying to loose fat.
    Oatmeal on the other hand contains no added sugar (depending on brand). I dont eat oatmeal myself so i'm not sure what form the cardohydrates are in. But i'm pretty sure they they're in a more 'complex' form. I'm sure you've heard talk about 'complex carbohydrates' this basically means that it takes your body longer to digest and thus longer to extract the sugar (glucose into the bloodstream). This helps your body to maintain a more constant metabolism.

In terms of your garden burger bun, complex carbs come into play again. White bread is digested quite quickly (and often has added sugar and too much salt among other things). try to go for a wholemeal bun, like granary. Organic breads are also preferable as they tend to have fewer undesirable addatives.

In terms of fat, I havent looked to closely into why 20% is often recommended. But i know that just a teaspoon of my fat supplement (cod liver oil in my case) really takes a chunk out of my appetite for a while, lol. If you feel you need more justification, then a site like bodybuilding.com will have lots of info about our bodies fat requirement.

good luck

13. brownguy

brownguy Well-Known Member

You need fat in your diet because "good" fats can actually prevent heart disease and help you lose weight. Good fats can be found in olive and canola oil, most fish, avocados, and certain nuts (like peanuts). Good fats are polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats. You still have to limit how much to take, though. But go to low and you can be depriving your body of fat it needs for biological processes.

You do have to make sure to avoid "bad" fats, which are usually the manufactured fats you find in cookies and cakes.

Oatmeal is probably better than something like Special K because it has a lower glycemic index (the regular kind, not the instant one). Since it's less processed, it will take longer to digest and won't spike your insulin.

You can actually find Kashi in Ontario. You have to go to the health food section of the store -- it's not with the regular cereals. I get mine at Fortino's

Hope this helps.