1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Egg Beaters: Inconsistent quality lately?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by John Stone, Jun 29, 2005.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Have any of you Egg Beater eaters noticed a problem with quality lately? I've been eating them pretty much every day for almost 3 years, and lately there have been a lot of problems with poor product.

The way I cook Egg Beaters is to lightly coat the pan with Pam, preheat the pan, pour half the carton into the pan and let it cook until the bottom is golden brown, then I flip the whole thing over and let the other side cook until it's golden brown. Lately the eggs have been bubbling up (they are not supposed to do this), have not been turning an even golden brown (more of a splotchy brown), and they fall apart when I try to flip them. They also have an off taste and "powdery" texture. I can't get them down without gagging. I've had the same problem with the both the Southwestern and the Garden Vegetable varieties, and I've purchased them from 2 different stores. I used to see this problem once in a blue moon, but lately (past month or two) the problem has been with 90% of the product I've purchased. I don't know if the eggs are not being properly handled (refrigerated) at some point along the line, or if there is a quality control problem at the plant.

I've contacted ConAgra Foods about the problem several times, but they don't seem to be able to figure it out (although they say they are still working on it). They say there's been no change in formulation. I've all but given up. I'm going to stop eating them if they can't make them good again.

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I eat them all the time too. I haven't had any problems with them. I always check the dates on the cartons. A couple of times in the not too distant past, I've accidentally purchased some older cartons of EB that I wasn't thrilled about using because they were near the expiration date, so I tossed them and I'm more cogniscent of the dates on dairy products now.

I always buy the bulk plain cartons at Sam's Club, and I buy one or two cartons of the flavored ones at the regular supermarket to mix in with the plain to give 'em some flavor. I made myself EB's a couple of nights ago, and they were just fine. I guess that ain't much help to ya.

-R

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Maybe I'll have to try the plain style from Costco and see if they suffer from the same problem. I don't care for the plain Egg Beaters that much, but I can always doctor them up, I suppose.

The problem with the ones I've been buying is definitely not that they've expired. I'm a total nut when it comes to food freshness, cross contamination and kitchen cleanliness. :spaz:

4. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

I just finished a cartion of southerwestern and veggie. The veggie tasted alright, but I experienced the same awful texture and cooking issues. Because of this, I bought 4 dozen eggs, and have been manually separating the eggs.

Hopefully, the store brand will be better. I also bought the stop and shop variety, and they tasted awful.

5. dso

dso Well-Known Member

If its really the texture that bothers you, why don't you try to scramble them instead of frying them they way you do now? Im picky about my food texture, and I noticed when I fry them the way you said you did I don't like the texture...its almost to dry on the outside, and not enough on the inside. But when I scramble them, they are alot more moist and fluffy. Granted, I dont eat egg beaters, I eat a whole egg with 5 whites, but they are the same in the fact that they will have a better texture (IMO) when they are scrambled. Maybe throw some fat free cheese in there too. I do that to hide up any part of the egg that didn't get cooked. :tu:

6. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

I *do* scramble these bad boys with a whole egg. They taste and cook better this way, but the recent batch of EB have been, as John noted, weaker in quality.

7. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Hmm. I haven't noticed anything. Maybe your supermarket is not refrigerating them correctly or something?

8. mereduke

mereduke Well-Known Member

I notice when I make an omelet with the plain kind the fall apart really easy...but my biggest complaint is that they seem really runny when I make scrambled eggs. I just figured it was because it isn't real eggs so its not going to have the same consistency as them. But in your case, John, you probably have been getting a bad batch! :nod:

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Mine are never runny - it's all in how they are prepared! The instructions on the box are silly (if you ask me).

I hate runny eggs! I think I'll make a video on how I prepare them: if I ever get a good batch again I'll show how I cook them and post it on my site.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

That's what I thought, too, but I've purchased from two different stores and same problem. It's really getting annoying.

11. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

has the problem been happening ever since you got the new stove top?

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Nah, I've had some great eggs since then! There's something wrong with the product itself or the handling of the product before I buy them.

13. DeaCerte33

DeaCerte33 Well-Known Member

I know that Publix makes their own brand of egg subsitute. Perhaps you should try those?

I too eat EB every morning, and I purchase them in bulk at Sam's. I haven't noticed any texture problems. I microwave them and they are always fluffy and good. I have noticed a little bit of an odd taste in the last batch I bough but I also switched the salsa I put on them and attributed the taste issue to that.

14. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

I always get the southwestern eggbeaters. No problems here.

15. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

I buy mine in bulk (the plain ones) from Sam's club. I've never noticed a problem like you mentioned, John. Maybe it's the distributor in your part of the country not handling them right (I'm in Austin, TX).

16. Lindsay

Lindsay Well-Known Member

egg beaters vs eggwhites

since we are on this subject, i'm wondering the difference between egg beaters and egg whites..i buy cartons of egg whites..nothing else added. I had egg beaters once and they tasted a lot better and they were a different texture than the plain egg whites..do they add a lot of crap too them??

lindsay

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Nah, it's pretty much egg whites with some vitamins and food coloring.

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I bought a new batch this morning and they were bad. I forced them down and they made my stomach hurt. I'm done with Egg Beaters until they call me and tell me the problem has been found and resolved (I'm not holding my breath).

I picked up Costco's store brand today (plain, but I'll doctor them up). Hopefully they will be okay.

19. thirtysomething

thirtysomething Well-Known Member

Yes! I recently stopped eating them, just too repulsive.

20. Almost 50

Almost 50 Well-Known Member

I tried egg beaters once and didn't like them. I've been enjoying Better'N Eggs. They make a tasty omelette even my 11 daughter likes. :)