1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

eating late at night adds weight

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Wic, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Wic

Wic Active Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8234386.stm

Link to original study:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tm2hndryykz

As far as I can tell, this could be fairly groundbreaking. The only way I can understand this for now is that metabolism is adjusted by the body based on when the body gets food. So the body is constantly adjusting its metabolic rate based on meal times, and metabolism will slow dramatically if you don't eat anything during the day, so that by the time you eat at night you will end up with a caloric surplus by eating the same amount of food.

2. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

It has been said that eating your biggest meal in the morning and gradually decreasing the size of meals toward the end of the day is better for weight management. I imagine for people who really don't work out intensely that this is a good way to keep weight off. However, you probably have a number of JSF members that will attest to having no problem keeping weight off even when they eat large meals in the evening due to their fitness level being greater than the average person.

3. needachange

needachange Active Member

Hmmm that's unusual considering I eat basically all my calories before I go to bed. I'm losing weight on my cut consistently every week. I must be doing it wrong :rolleyes:

I think "humans" tend to gain more weight from eating at night because we tend to make shitty food choices i.e. ice cream, snacks, ect.

I know the article said they gave the mice the same foods and excersize but it just seems like a bunch of crap to me.

4. Medhatter

Medhatter Active Member

I only read the BBC story, but from what they said, it seems to me as though the weight gain came from eating at an "unusual" time, so perhaps if you're usually asleep then eating at that time might affect you differently, but it doesn't particularly say that late-night eating in itself has any effect.

It may also be down to the fact that if someone gets peckish in the middle of the night, they'll come down and grab a fistful of chocolate or a pork pie rather than prepare themselves a salad.

5. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

That's a good point Medhatter. Someone like Needachange that routinely eats at night probably has his metabolism follow accordingly. However, if he suddenly changed when he ate, it might cause a temporary change in his metabolism. Ok, who is doing the next study on that?

6. needachange

needachange Active Member

Medhatter has a good first point but even then I think it's bogus.

I used to work night shift from 9 p.m. - 5 a.m. (mostly longer hours due to overtime) at that point for the 3 years I worked that job I was the leanest and best shape of my life. Majority of all the people I worked with were the same too.

I think maybe someone who works at say a gas station/convenience store or even an office environment at night is going to be relatively sedentary. Plus people who work nights and are by themselves eat out of boredom most likely and make unhealthy food choices.

7. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Yeah throw exercise in the mix and this study doesn't mean much.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

"At this stage, the results could still be interpreted as controversial when applied to humans. "

You don't say.

The rats that got fat ate during the light stage, the rats that gained less weight ate at night. Rats are more nocturnal in typical feeding according to the study, but I'm not sure how applicable this would be to diurnal humans.

Interesting, but as is typical the way the media wrote it up seems overhyped.

9. Flex

Flex Well-Known Member

I eat my biggest meal at night! Loaded with slow digesting protein, like milk, with a moderate amount of carbs. For bulking, there is nothing worse than going 10 hours without food while sleeping! Sleeping is your #1 anabolic growth period, I say give it the fuel it needs!! :tu: