1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Eating before bed

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by GuitarNWeights, Jun 18, 2008.

1. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I would steer very clear of the "vegetable crackers".

Nothing more than a white flour, extremely processed, boxed preservative ridden offering. That's no good for ya buddy! :cool:

I don't consume any carbohydrates before bed in my last meal, as my last meal is always protein/fat. However, if you want to eat protein and have carbs as well in your offering before bed for whatever reason, clean carbs such as brown rice/yams/sweet potatoes/wild rice/etc. are the types of foods you'd want to choose, not crackers which are basically junk food.

~SC~

2. gareth

gareth Active Member

I always have oats (about 3 oz)and milk (to soak the oats)before bed - I know it`s not very good but if I don`t have this I will not be able to sleep/wake up in the middle of the night with a stomachache. (I am a very bad sleeper)

I have tried cottage cheese/cup of milk/nuts but they just give me stomachache - maybe becuae I sleep on my stomach,

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

It depends on what diet I am currently following, but in general I like to keep my carbs high year round, so when the time arrives to lower carbs, I don't have to do so at ridiculously low levels. Depletion can be done with higher amounts, as well. I like to eat carbs in my last meal, even when I'm on a low carb diet. Sometimes I like to carb load for the final meal on MONDAYS and THURSDAYS. This meal will replace my usual final meal and usually consists of regular potato, a banana, a cup of oatmeal, some green veggies, and almond butter. The fat helps to give a trickle effect on the insulin flow during the evening fast (sleep). I also add sea salt to my final meal, whatever it may be. Fitness enthusiasts are too sodium-phobic. Sodium is quite important to the weight trained athlete/bodybuilder and I like to add sea salt to my meals. The only time a person should be concerned with sodium is if they have high blood pressure, or are in the final 1-2 days leading into a bodybuilding show. Sodium increases intracellular water. Remember.... a wet cell, is an anabolic one. ;)

4. GuitarNWeights

GuitarNWeights Active Member

so lately all I've been having was 1 cup of 1% cottage cheese and 1 tbsp of natty pb.

Made a big difference in my fat loss.

5. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

6 eggwhites almost every day.... very occasionally about 1/2T with that.

6. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

If cutting and just trying to get myself to quit feeding myself for the night, sometimes just make an ENORMOUS salad with a little balsamic and oil, bit of salt and pepper. That works for nights where I need to be tricked by volume as opposed to just getting in fat/protein.

Also excellent and really satisfying when I feel like I want a real meal --- half a can of tuna and half a cucumber. Add some plain yogurt (and spice if you like) to the tuna, cut the cucumber in half and hollow it out a little bit, and you have two little tuna cucumber sandwiches. :) Get some protein in at the end of the night and feels lovely.

7. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

Pretzels and alcohol.

Seriously. After finally getting the kids to sleep, we both camp out on the couch, have some wine or an occasional margarita, and watch whatever we have stored up on the DVR.

What good is being in great shape if you don't ever take advantage of the fact that you CAN have carbs at night and not gain weight? I am religious about protein and calories, but don't really follow any timing strategies.

8. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

ROCK... ON.

Dude, if you can get away with that, more power to you. :claplow:

9. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

Make no mistake - this is only happening AFTER I lost a ton of weight. During my cut I was ridiculously strict, keeping carbs below 160 gm and fat at or below 50 gms for months on end. I never really focused on timing though, just keeping to my calories and daily targets.

Nowadays, I can relax a bit in the evenings and be a social eater, rather than a "role model".

10. fattytuna

fattytuna Active Member

since everyone says protein and fat, how about hard boiled eggs with the yolks.

11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:nod: I whole eat eggs 80% of the time with cheese as my last meal.

But then, I tend to eat more fat than most around here.

12. smuhhh

smuhhh Well-Known Member

We all know that yolks are high cholesterol, but I wonder just how bad whole eggs are for a person. I read a study a while back about how men who ate 6 or more eggs per week were more likely to die young than those who don't. I love whole eggs but try to avoid eating them.

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I don't think it's that simple. I think we are coming to find out that a lot of the problems initially tied to saturated fats and cholesterol aren't really caused solely by saturated fats and cholesterol alone, but those in concert with transfats and overly processed junk carbs which help to raise serum triglycerides and create insulin resistant people who are screwed up on many other levels.

In my personally experience, I was able to cut my triglycerides in half, raise my HDL and lower my LDL and total cholesterol by switching to a higher fat, moderate protein, cycling carbs kind of diet.

In my case, the added benefit of some of the recent findings in keeping cancer in check via insulin control is a nice thing, too.

So from personal experience (and YMMV, as we respond differently), my egg consumption did not hurt my lipid panel. In fact, upping my red meat and eggs along with a lot of green vegetables actually resulted in better blood work.

I eat probably 6-8 eggs a day on average.

Additionally, the cholesterol in eggs seems to be of the more benign kind for most people. There are two kinds of cholesterol molecules, big ones and little ones. The big ones combined with good HDL seem to not hurt people, but small cholesterol molecules seem to be the plaque forming kind.

Not to mention inflammatory ties to all this stuff.

14. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

1/2 cup cottage cheese, 12-15 raw almonds, cinnamon to taste. Pro/fat lo-carb cut the hunger meal.

15. havinafett

havinafett Well-Known Member

Lately I've been mixing one scoop of strawberry Nitrean with some water and 1 tbsp of natural PB and adding some splenda... And I think it's delicious. I know it may sound gross, but it actually tastes like a weird pudding...

16. GuitarNWeights

GuitarNWeights Active Member

Eating 2 cans of tuna right now as a last meal. Don't know if it would be something that I'd be able to eat regularly.

I would like to hear some more suggestions :)

17. CuTe PoIsOn

CuTe PoIsOn Active Member

45g Protein blend with semi skimmed milk & 2-3tsb natural peanut butter

18. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

For me...the evening snack is simply a small salad or an apple and a bananna.i gotta watch everything i eat or ill be like the king...FAT IN MY 40'S:nono:

19. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

I do not eat past 8:30pm or 8 if I can.

Last meal before bed. 1 cup - 1 1/2 cup of Cottage cheese (4%) with 1 of those little fruit cups (peaches or mixed). I pour out the syrup and mix with my cottage cheese. This fills me up for the night and gives me extra protein. In the morning I feel good and not bloated.

20. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I've also found this works well, and (with the right choice of fat and protein) it often helps me to moderate my nighttime appetite (which, like that of the OP, is susceptible to big increases).

Tonight, for example, I cooked my version of chop suey, consisting of skinless chicken breast fried in butter ghee, stir fried beansprouts, asparagus, salad onions, tomato puree, garlic, coriander, mace, fenugreek sends, fennel seeds and jalapeno peppers. The sauce was made using chicken stock and thickened a little by adding a teaspoon of butter ghee.

While I could very comfortable eat a bunch more food in my remaining half hour or so before bed, a nice satisfying meal like that makes it easier to resist the temptation.