1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Eat Stop Eat - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by bradh, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Agreed. I don't actually think ESE provides faster results. It is not a rapid loss program meant to be done once or twice for significant drops. It is meant to be adapted as a lifestyle, not a starve-off-the-pounds-quickly crash diet.

Agree. However, ESE can be added consistently to a lifestyle plan.

Also agree. But for some people, it isn't just a rationalization to not stay consistent and on goals, it is kind of necessary. For example, the past few days I was traveling for work. My group works remotely with another group; we see each other rarely, and we were meeting up in New York. We ate as a group, and we celebrated our year's achievements as a group, going out to dinner at a really nice place, getting drinks, and having a good time. I could not be consistent.

Sure, there is the argument that I could have not had alcohol or not shared dessert or just ordered a salad for dinner. But there are social implications inherent in doing that. It shouldn't matter to people what I eat, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I could just say "eff it, I don't care how people are going to react to this" or I can go with the flow, not even need to mention having an eating plan, and use fasting to average it out across the week.

Similarly, this allows me to have lunch with coworkers during the week, even if they decided to go somewhere with less healthy options.

And people might. If I were a personal trainer, I would ask those same questions. However, having experience in the system, I can tell you I hit PR lifts while training completely fasted and have finished fast days with only have a small salad. Like all diets and workout plans, you get out of it what you put into it. If your gorge, if you skip, it breaks, but neither of those things are a part of the plan.

I have had the fasting days that have had me completely pigging out after, but I've learned what causes that: when I do super intense cardio during the fast. Lifting fasted, I'm fine. It is learning how the body responds and working in the system.

And just so you know, I appreciate the way you framed your statements in your posts, making it known it was your opinion.

The three main advantages I like about the program are as follows:
    1 - It helps maintain a weekly average for me without feeling I need to stop doing things I enjoy, like the occasional lunch with coworkers.

2 - It makes staying on track easier. Yesterday was a fasting day for me (balancing out the NYC trip). Turns out it was the office potluck lunch. Had I gone to the potluck, I'd have over-eaten. I wouldn't be measuring, I'd be sampling lots of everything, and being a social event, I'd have had more than I should without realizing. I know myself enough to know how I am.

Since it was a fasting day, there was no temptation. I never once considered checking it out, I never longed for the desserts. Same thing when coworkers bring in cupcakes and such to the office. On a regular day, there is that temptation, that thought that I can have it and work it off or eat a little less at dinner to even it out. On a fasting day, I don't even feel tempted. It makes staying on course easier.

3 - It's cheaper. I'm eating less of the course of the week, which is the goal of any fat-loss meal plan. But I see the difference more when fasting then when cutting portion sizes.

Reasons 2 and 3 are part of why I, personally, dislike the protein shake day idea. If I'm consuming anything, I am suddenly making food decisions. It is easier for me to rationalize "I can have a cupcake and drop a shake--even swap!" than to rationalize having the cupcake while 16 hours in to a fast. And since I'm not consuming anything, that is one less tub of protein powder I'm going through.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and the discussion. I appreciate your reasoning and rational for not recommending ESE. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone; I would say that it can work for a number of reasons and I like the simplicity of the system. It has worked for me.

Jaer
    apologizes for the verbose post. He does that sometimes...well, a lot, really.

2. Simonic

Simonic Active Member

A bit late...

I fail to see how it is a band-aid. It is a different approach, and one that is starting to provide decent results/benefits from the medical/research channels.

The reasons given to not advise the plan are the reasons that could be leveled against any diet/exercise plan. Asking someone to eat 4-6 meals a day can easily be broken. Asking someone to weight train 3 times a week can easily be broken.

Diet and exercise has, and always will, required a dedicated decision to stick to the whatever plan in chosen. ESE/IF are among the most versatile plans out there in terms of "what can I eat on my fasted day?" The answer is fairly simple, and not complex. Unlike building a regimen of 4-6 meals to eat throughout the day. It also allows for a greater degree of "failing" on non-fasting days. Sure, some people might binge eat, but they arguably have a greater degree of "padding" than those on strict dietary plans.

Do other plans work? Yes. Does ESE/IF work? Yes. Are different plans better for different people? Yes.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

And, a leangains review of ESE:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/eat-stop-eat-expanded-edition-review.html

Point is -- don't totally disregard something because you don't think other people could follow it.

3. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I've been doing intermittent fasting for a few weeks now. Its actually much easier to follow with my lifestyle.

I usually do about 16/8 on weekdays, limiting carbs on non workout and cardio days. Getting great results, 9.6 lbs in about 3 weeks and increased all lifts.