1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Eat Stop Eat - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by bradh, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Not sure how many here have heard of it but its basically a diet that includes 1-2 24H fasts per week.

I'm sure this will fly in the face of some people here but i was just looking for some thoughts. I came across it on the Turbulence Training forums, a good amount of people are on it over there and some are pretty excited about the results.

It seems you either have breakfast and you don't eat again in 24H. So technically a good portion of the fast you will be asleep.

Some are having the last meal in the evening and start eating again the next evening. So in effect you don't go a whole day without eating.

I realize this is for fatloss; its not a bodybuilding or athletic meal plan.

Here's the notorious sales page: http://www.eatstopeat.com/

#1 bradh, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

I have read up quite a bit recently about intermittant fasting and I think probably eat-stop-eat is slightly easier to follow than the warrior diet or Fast 5, which are the other main versions. They fly in the face of present body building lore and there is no adequate scientific evidence for or against them yet. I suspect giving the body a break from 6 - 7 meals a day may not be a bad thing and there seems some evidence that fasting up to 24 hours, if you then eat adequately afterwards, doesn't slow down the metabolism, as most body builders will tell you. i suspect for fat loss, this method may suit some people's habits/preferences/lifestyle... So if you were interested I would say give it a go ;) I would suggest you read a little about the warrior diet and its arguments, too.

3. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I fast fairly regularly, though when I fast I drink fresh vegetable juice. I find it quite beneficial, and with the amounts of carrot and spinach juice I drink, I'm certainly not left lacking for nutritition. Most of the time I just fast on Sundays. But the end of July I'm going to try for a 7 day fast to finish off a cut.

Fasting is said to increase the effectiveness of ones immune system, consume fat and excess skin, and detoxify the body.

4. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Cool guys, yeah Jedi i think it would fit my lifestyle and goals very well. I just want to be lean, i'm not looking to be a bodybuilder.

I'm pretty sure i'll be giving it a go.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It sounds really exciting. I'm surprised that more people haven't tried it, but I wonder if it might be really inconvenient. :confused: I also wonder about how your mood and energy levels would be like in the fasting periods. Like one of the guys on that page says, I'd be extremely bored on fasting days; it would be really, really hard for me to do if I didn't have a really busy day planned. But with a full day of activity, I'm pretty sure it would be fine.

This method is also believed to contribute to longevity, so it would be really exciting if you find that it works out for you. How long are you planning to follow it?

6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Some people have experienced moods swings and such but i think that's all in the head so to speak. :D It might take a few times to get use to it.

Its a pretty popular diet on the turbulence training forums. Some people are adapting it fulltime. Once you get to you goal weight its recommended to do 1 fast per week. Its very flexible.

I'm 10h in my first fast now, i am alittle hungry but that's expected.

Its a pretty simple way to reduce calories.

If this works it will be the best thing i ever done for my body because its so easy. I never could get into calorie counting.

7. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this?

http://eatstopeat.com/eat-stop-eat-vs-6-meals-a-day.html

FYI i don't feel there's anything wrong with eating 6 meals a day but i just don't like counting calories and measuring food.

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I don't like that guy's logic. :( He's not a 130 pound woman, so I'm not sure why he thinks he can judge that a 220 calorie meal is "pitiful". Difficult to manage when eating at restaurants, but entirely plausible on home cooked foods. Does he not realize that those people who are on 1300 calorie diets have less appetite than those on 2400 calorie diets?

I have other complaints about this rant:
    a) It wouldn't be smart for a 130 pound woman want to lose weight on a 1300 calorie diet unless she was less than 5 feet tall
    b) It's not fair to women who are experiencing premenstrual cravings to be fasting. Or to women who are menstruating. Fasting can upset your chemical balance.

The bottom line is, I think intermittent fasting is a perfectly reasonable way for a person to eat, but I also think 6 meals a day is a perfectly reasonable way for a person to eat. I don't think we need to tell people that they must eat a certain way. It's upsetting for me to see someone coming along and saying "you shouldn't be doing it that way" to a person who is on track to meet their goals with their current meal plan.

I think if you're bored with your current method, or not getting the results you want, then it's a great idea to try new things, but I don't think that it's smart to change a successful diet and exercise plan just because someone else claims that it's not a successful plan.

9. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

He lost me frankly when he started talking about 130lb women. I'm twice that. :)

I've read alot about IF the last fews days, i really can't believe i never bumped into it before. Its perfect for me!

I've done 2 15-18h fasts now and i find them easy and feel find.

The leangains.com site has a bunch of impressive body transformations using IF.

When i was in high school i kind of followed the daily fast lifestyle and i was my leanest then.

10. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I just like to add i'm not following ESE but rather a different variation of intermittent fasting - 16-18 hour fast followed by a 6-8 eating window.

So far i feel great and my performance or mood hasn't changed much. I do feel more energetic sometimes though, during the fast.

I'm starting to believe this might be an excellent way for me to eat. I'm rather big, don't like counting calories and i drink alot. No drinking on a fast.

I feel much tighter the last 3 days. The biggest factor being water lost i'm sure.

If 6 meals a day isn't working (fatloss) for you don't be afraid to try this.

However, train hard and heavy.

#10 bradh, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. gentlesavage

gentlesavage Well-Known Member

12. thevinery

thevinery Active Member

Hey Bradh -- I took a look at the leangains site and the pictures are of course very impressive. Keep us posted with how you do.

13. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

14. Toni

Toni Well-Known Member

any updates on this? I m thinking to give it a go. Do ypu lose too much muscle? Can you adopt it as an every-day life-style??

Thanks for any replies.

15. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I fast when I sleep. Have my whole life.

16. Toni

Toni Well-Known Member

perhaps you may need to fast more in order to de-tox your body?? eh?

No seriously, would like to hear results from those who tried it.

17. madamert

madamert Well-Known Member

I'm really not a fan of fasting. It's more of a bandaid approach to bad nutrition. If one does feel compelled to try something like it, I recommend just doing all protein shake days instead. Try 6-8 servings of 100-200 calorie protein shakes.

Remember that the plural of anecdote isn't data. One can lose weight doing all kinds of crazy diets. You see that kind of crap on infomercials all the time. I have yet to read a peer reviewed study that suggest any benefit of intermittent fasting that is greater than just good nutrition.

18. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    To anyone who wants to try it but is worried about the science behind it, I'd recommend reading the Eat Stop Eat book. Madmamert, this post here suggests to me that you haven't read it; though your comment about anecdotes not equating to data is completely correct, your assessment of fasting being a bandaid to bad nutrition sounds rather anecdotal, itself. I totally respect your opinion on the matter, but your recommendation for protein shakes will not help people who want to garner the full benefits of the Eat Stop Eat plan.

I recommend reading the ESE book because it is full of science and studies, and it delves into what actually goes on in the body during the time after eating. At around the 16-18 hour mark, there are some interesting hormonal changes, which last up well bast the 36 hour mark. Taking protein shakes prevents the body from entering the fasted state (which is much different then a starvation state).

Sure you can look at fasting as a balancing of calories. If you look for a weekly deficit, you can achieve this deficit even when over-eating 5 days of the week if you fast 2 days. That can be viewed as a bandaid for bad nutrition. But that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

It can also be viewed (to put a positive spin on the same idea) as an easy way to balance social engagements (which easily led to overeating) or dealing with a spouse who isn't trying to stick to a specific way of eating.

But there is more to it than that due to the different hormonal environments in the body after an extended fast. Cals in vs. cals out is the big equation, but if you see what the body does during and after a fast, you can see there are lot of little equations that can help

Jaer
    has followed the ESE diet on and off for a while. His lowest weights were achieved on that plan--without any significant/abnormal muscle/strength loss.

20. madamert

madamert Well-Known Member

Hello Jaer,

I appreciate your comments. Let me be more specific about my concerns with this type of dieting.

First, if you are a person who has incorporated fitness and nutrition into your life you are most likely accomplishing your goals with nearly any type of long term program. Whether or not a program is successful is almost entirely dependent on the dedication of the individual. Some programs may provide somewhat faster results than others, but all end in the same place.

Second, if you are a person who has attempted to include fitness and nutrition into one's but has failed, it is almost always attributable to inconsistency. And I have found that inconsistency is mostly the result of mental rationalization. People find ways to rationalize skipping workouts and eating poor foods. So, when I'm evaluating a plan, I always try to ask myself how could an individual rationalize ways of breaking the plan. With regards to this particular plan, I feel that people will use fasted days as rationalizations to gorge the day after or to skip workouts on the fasted days.

Accordingly, that is why I do not recommend plans like intermittent fasting.

I'm not going to debate the potential physiological merits of intermittent fasting. I will concede that there could be some potential advantages over typical eating patterns if the plan is carried out perfectly. However, I feel that the majority of those benefits are from the weight training that is part of the program and not from the intermittent fasting itself.