1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

E-mail dilemma

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Seltzer, May 16, 2008.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi John:

I once again want to thank you for the tremendous effort and time you put towards this site. With all the new changes I decided to review some of my details and found that the e-mail I have listed in my profile is not one that I currently use or check. I attempted to change it to the correct one and got an error message saying that the requested e-mail was already in use.

For some reason that I can't for the life of me remember now I originally registered at JSF using another screen name and then wound up registering again using the the now inactive e-mail address. So I have an inactive e-mail address associated with my active JSF account and an active e-mail address associated with an inactive JSF account. A poor combination by any standard.

This is where I need your assistance as I can't even figure out how to access the original account. The account is Sayheywillie and the e-mail associated with it is I would like that e-mail to be associated with my Seltzer account instead of the current one, Whatever manner is easiest for you is fine with me even if it means eliminating the Sayheywillie account. I have no intent to use it and had actually forgotten about it. If there's something I can do on my end to facilitate, I'm more than happy to do so.

Thanks in advance for the help and once again, thanks for this site.

#1 Seltzer, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

No big deal. :)

Can I just combine the two accounts into your Seltzer account (so your posts under the old account will go under your current name) and then change the email to [REMOVED]?

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Absolutely. Thanks.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

No trouble, I'll make it so now. :)

EDIT: All done, let me know if something is not as expected.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not too up on these types of issues, but you might want to obscure your email address somewhat in your posts or remove them now that John has addressed your problem to keep automated spam indexers or whatever they're using these days from grabbing it.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks John. Everything is as I wanted it to be.

Thanks for your input, but could you please elaborate on what you mean by obscuring my email address? It's interesting that you wrote what you did because I initially typed out the original post in this thread as a PM to John, but wound up sending it as I did. I'm going to go back and edit my post to eliminate the addresses, but did you have anything else in mind? Again, thanks.

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Spambots that crawl the web will harvest your email address and add it to even more spam lists than it's already on. I'll obfuscate it.

8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Obscuring just means placing some gibberish within the address that is easy for a human to recognize as not belonging, but hard for an automated machine.

Edit: "Obfuscating" is the more appropriate term. Thanks, John.