1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Dymatize Protein Shake

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by BigieSmallz, Apr 11, 2012.

1. BigieSmallz

BigieSmallz Member

I was just wondering if taking this shake that has Casein and Whey in it if it's acceptable to replay that with a meal or not? I usually will drink one in the morning for breakfast and then one at night before I go to bed. I have not started to train yet trying to shed the pounds?

Thanks

2. jmike

jmike Active Member

what do you mean "replay with a meal" ?

i like shakes that have cassein and whey in them --- you get the rapid uptake with one and long lasting availability with the other.

i try to take one when i wake up to get my metabolism started ... and i try to take one before i go to bed to have so my body has amino acids to use overnight

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I think he wants to know if protein shakes are usable as a meal replacement.

My opinion is.. it depends. Do they fill you up like a meal? Do they fit into your macros and nutritional plan that way?

If both answers are yes, I would say they are suitable as a meal replacement.

4. jmike

jmike Active Member

Lenny makes a good point

what is the point of using protein shakes to replace a meal if you end up binging on non-healthy foods as a result of not eating real food.

most protein shakes are relatively low in calories ... and it is hard to feel full when you are drinking your calories.

i think protein shakes are an excellent tool to increase protein intake and most (not all) are relatively low in fat and carbs.

So there shouldn't be a problem with having a light meal with a protein shake ---- as long as it doesn't push you over your calorie limit.

5. scohen158

scohen158 Well-Known Member

I use them as my first meal of the day around 6:00am I have 2 scoops of Dymatize and add it to 16oz of Skim Milk for right around 400 calories. I am never hungry before my 9 am meal. I eat 5-6 meals a day though so they aren't that big individually but when you eat every 2-3 hours you are up you rarely feel hungry.

6. jmike

jmike Active Member

i do something similar -- i wake up at 6pm and have a shake -- it does well to curb my appetite for my first real meal of the day

hard to eat light when the first meal of the day is dinner