1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Dumb question about Mixing Protein Shakes

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by car104, Apr 17, 2009.

1. car104

car104 Active Member

Yup, this is a rather dumb question, but here goes.

How do you make your protein shakes thicker? I'm using Precision Engineered Whey Powder. The instructions say to mix 1 scoop of Whey powder with 8oz water. I measure out the 8oz water then add the powder to the water in a protein shaker. I shake it up for about a minute or so. When I drink it, it's more of a protein water than a protein shake. Would only adding milk to it be the way? I'd like to keep it milk free for now.

2. needachange

needachange Active Member

If you are using it PWO don't use milk. You want the protein to absorb immediately after a workout. If you add milk that's got casein protein which will slow down the absorption of the protein. If you do use milk drink that shake before bed.

Try using a little less water. I use about 5 - 6 oz of water and it makes it a little thicker. The flavor comes through better too since it won't be so watered down.

3. George

George Senior Member

The easiest way would probably be to reduce the water content or increase the protein content. :)

4. car104

car104 Active Member

Thanks for that tip. I am using the shake PWO. And I can down it while it's watery, just a little consistency would be nice. I am trying to avoid adding milk to it.

5. SWO LIFE

SWO LIFE Active Member

Measuring the water isn't really important, just do it by feel. I do it reverse though, I put the two scoops of protein in the shaker then I add water. Get a blender bottle and do this and it will be smooth and creamy every time.

6. car104

car104 Active Member

I think my bottle is a blender bottle. It's a Precision Engineered shaker that's got a round insert that goes about 1/2 inch into the bottle. It kind of looks like the blades on an apple slicer, except plastic.

7. SWO LIFE

SWO LIFE Active Member

Blender Bottle has a ball in it that acts like a whisk when you shake the bottle. Oddly enough, it also says "blender bottle" on the side. I know what you're talking about, it's like an ice strainer near the top. Blender bottle is nice, but not worth going out of your way to get.

8. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've been doing post-workout shakes wrong all this time!? :D

:tucool:

Less water is the easiest solution. You could try adding ice to a blender, but I find a blender makes it less thick than a shaker. Another option - and this should work good for your post-training shake - is to add more food to the recipe. Try ground oats (coffee bean grinder works best for me), or maybe even some fruit if you want to use a blender.

9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

:lol:

10. needachange

needachange Active Member

I thought the point of taking whey protein directly after a workout was to get the protein into the system ASAP. From what I've read everywhere and even seen on here repeated over and over and over is milk with whey or blended protein powders slow down protein absorbtion due to casein. Which I though was not the most essential PWO and better for a meal replacement or Pre Bed :confused:

Plus when I used milk it made me gain fat easily. I would only use it now if I didn't have anything for a pre bed snack.