1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Drop and give me 10% (in July)!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by FatLenny, Mar 26, 2012.

1. jmike

jmike Active Member

weight - 215
    BF -- 18%

Lean Mass 176.3 pounds
    Fat 38.7

not making any progress

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Don't get down, here, man. Adjust. My first suggestion would be to drop some of that metcon stuff you're doing in favor of some more strength focused rep ranges. You need to go heavy to maintain your LBM on a cut. Metcon doesn't allow for heavy enough resistance for your body to know it needs to keep the mass.

;)

I'll measure in the next few days so we can compare results, since our training methods are so different, atm. :D

3. jmike

jmike Active Member

still lifting heavy 3 times a week :)

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Sure, but all that cardio might be causing you to drop some of the lean mass you have. I also noticed how much different our intake is.

What kind of caloric deficit are you using?

The other variable is how accurate the measurements are, of course.I think we can all make mistakes sometimes. Maybe next week it will fall back in line... besides, sometimes a drop in sodium in your diet could cause a drop in lean mass. Water is lean, too, you know. :lol:

EDIT: After looking at your journal, I'm gonna have to call B.S. on you lifting heavy 3 times a week. You're one week into your cut, and how many heavy lifts have you hit, let alone heavy days? Most of what I see is BB complexes(cardio/metcon) and o-lift marathons(cardio/metcon/superfun). Those are the things I am talking about. 20-30 reps is not heavy in any way shape of form. How many times have you squatted or deadlifted? How many sets this past week were between 85-100% of a 1RM? I'll guess that number is pretty small.

This is why you keep a log, right? Go back and look at what you've actually been doing. Adjust. Set another plan and check your results later.

#24 FatLenny, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. jmike

jmike Active Member

could be it -- i am eating a lot less salty meaty awesome foods

my deficit should be right around 1,000 calories .. from 3200-ish

using a 3-point body caliper -- cheap piece of crap really ... i figure it might be accurate to within 2-3%

but it has only been a week since i switched programs --- you might be right -- feels like i switched a month ago though -- i am exhausted

6. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Interesting choice. I'm staying around 300-500 for mine. Did you drop 1 pound last week? Any variance may indicate a fluctuation of water weight...

This is what I'm talking about... and part of why I edited my previous post with this:

Metcon will wear you out, but won't necessarily encourage mass retention. :)

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

i am thinking it was just water weight -- i think 2 pounds

3 so far this week

1 rep max test -- following by some fun stuff

next day was heavy weights -- bench press -- 5 reps at 205

skip a day and the next one was heavy back and biceps -- pullup marathon and curls

tomorrow night is shoulders

8. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

New Stats:

BW: 207.0 lbs. (-3.8 lbs total / +2.4 lbs from last)
    BF: 19.6%
    LBM: 166.4 lbs. (-1.0 lbs total / +1.9 from last)
    FAT: 40.6 lbs (-2.8 lbs total / +0.5 from last )

Back to baseline after dropping the IF routine. Should be easier to compare results on nay given day, now. Gained 2.4 lbs getting stable again, though. I'm sure a portion of that gain is water. If I had to estimate, I would guess around 1.5-1.9 lbs is water weight, since I was close to maintenance intake levels most of this past week(within 200 kcal for the week).

Still 1% lower than the starting BF%, so that's good. Losing fat at just under 3:1 ratio, fat:LBM is fantastic! Progress seems slower than I'd like for this goal, but I'll chalk it up to leveling off from the fasting.

We'll see for next week. Until then, I am not changing my plan. :D

9. jmike

jmike Active Member

weight: 215

BF% 17.5

fat 37.625

LBM 177.375

10. jmike

jmike Active Member

weight: 213

BF% 15.5

fat 33.015

LBM 179.985

making progress ... not in exactly the way i originally thought ... but progress is progress

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Those are some phenomenal results! Nice work! :claplow:

I had almost forgotten about this challenge... I'm pretty sure my results will pale in comparison. I've run into some difficulties and have veered off course for a while. Maybe your dedication will nudge me back in the right direction.

12. jmike

jmike Active Member

for me it hasn't really been the diet

added squats back in, back squats on thursdays and front squats on tuesdays

i didn't even think of checking until cookee said i looked less "fluffy" in my log -- she has a damn good eye

13. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

New Stats:

BW: 209.0 lbs. (-1.8 lbs total / +2.0 lbs from last)
    BF: 17.5%
    LBM: 172.4 lbs. (+5.0 lbs total / +7.9 from last)
    FAT: 36.6 lbs (-2.8 lbs total / -3.5 from last )

The fat loss here seems reasonable, but I am unsure about the possibility of that amount of lean mass gain. It doesn't seem feasible. It pretty much amounts to 1 pound per week of lean gains since the last measurements were taken.

Looking at it from the first measurements makes it more reasonable, though. Gaining half a pound of lean per week might be possible and fat loss of a third of a pound per week at the same time is definitely reasonable.

I've been pushing hard with 80-100% of my 1RM and 4-10 sets of 1-6 reps (depending on the day) on the major compound lifts(primarily squats, deadlifts, overhead/military press, cleans, clean & jerk, and rows(pendlay and kroc style). I have thrown in plenty of push ups, l-sit pull ups, GHRs(weighted and BW) as well.

I definitely feel leaner. I'll see if I can get progress pics done soon. I've been eating close to maintenance calories on average and not very focused on eating clean. Lots of days with ice cream, candy, pizza, restaurant food, and the like, but calories were almost always in check... lots of days with clean food, too, though. It has been a nice balance.

Overall, I am relatively happy with my progress, but it doesn't look like 10% BF is going to happen anytime in July unless I bear down, eat clean more often and lower my calories slightly... not sure I want to do that, though. :lol:

:tu:

14. jmike

jmike Active Member

i won't know what my weight is until i hit the gym tonight

i am at 15% BF -- got to move the stupid slide thingy up a year since i am fixing to turn 34 :mad:

i weighed in at 216 that night

so

fat 32.4 pounds
    LBM 183.6 pounds

#34 jmike, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  15. jmike

jmike Active Member

backwards progress

weight 212
    BF% 16

Fat 33.92
    LBM 178.08

16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Been almost a month and a half since I posted here...

About a week away from my deadline...

Am I close?

:nope:

:o

Better get moving again, eh?

:whistle:

17. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

7/15/12: 17.1% Body Fat.

Missed by a long shot. How is it going for everyone else?

18. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member