1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Not much better, at this point, tbh. But I just deal with it. Hop off every now and then for a butt break.

Speaking of which, even though it's 11pm, I should probably do something. Although shoveling snow for two hours doesn't count as nothing, I should do more.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I ended up doing a short ride that was the terminus of my "Fondo Training Plan" on Sunday.

Then, on Monday, I decided to do a FTP test. I did a bit of reading on FTP testing and most things I read considered it brutal and hard on the body and hard to get a good result. As an alternative, I discovered that Trainer Road developed something called "Ramp Testing" whereby one rides at short but progressively harder intervals (with no breaks) until you "pop" (charming term). Then, through a calculation, you get your FTP. I dug around a bit and found a Zwift adapted version of this with a calculator for the testing. My previous estimate was ~190.

I did a ten minute warmup (with FTP set to 100 for the purpose of the test) then did 150 seconds at 150W and progressing in 25W intervals every 150 seconds. I cleared 300 and stopped 6 seconds into 325. This put my estimated FTP at 248. WAY higher than I thought.

I'm going to see if I can do the ramp test on TR and see if it comes in similar. But it also may explain why I was rarely truly gassed after rides. I felt good and like I'd put out effort, but never felt overdone. This may change things, hah. We'll see how it goes.

3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Chugging along. Higher FTP has proven to be doable after 2 rides, but WAY more challenging. Did a tempo ride Thursday and felt like I got my butt kicked and then did a foundation ride last night and feel alright. Will do a longer, harder tempo ride tomorrow.

Have to find time for actual workouts, too.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Did a late, late ride yesterday - finished around 11:30pm. Long 1:22, 30km ride around Central Park. Tempo ride, but felt more challenging to me, but still good. Made it and wasn't sore today.

Did a freeletics workout tonight.

Usual Dynamic Warmup
    10x side lunges
    6x shoulder pullups (except that my "door hanging bar" isn't high enough to REALLY be able to hang low enough, so knees are up, and I'm not strong enough to do these well, but I gave it what I could)

4x intervals of:
    10x crunches
    3x leg raises (supposed to be hanging leg raises, but because of the low bar, did them from laying...very hard for me with my tight hams)
    8x ground supermen
    5x negative pushups

10 knee pushups

Usual active cooldown

Followed it all with a cupcake.

Will ride tomorrow night!

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Child took a full 150 minutes to put to sleep tonight. It's usually less than 60. That really ate into my cycling time. I was grumpy by the time I came downstairs at 10pm. Came downstairs to do my Duolingo Spanish for the day and then decided, y'know what, I'm gonna ride and hopped on the bike at 10:45pm. Not gonna let a not-quite-4-year-old ruin my fitness goals. Just a foundation ride - 50:00 around London tonight. Surrey Hills, mostly. Tomorrow will be a Freeletics workout if I can get home in enough time to get it done before it being way too late. Thursday will be another ride (Strength) then Friday will be a Foundation ride. Saturday will be Freeletics and Sunday will be a Tempo ride. Keep at'er. .

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

When did you move to London? I thought you lived in Vancouver, BC.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but my thought is that he has a program on his bike that allows to experience different locales and terrains.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:nod:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2161878921 - all cycling via Zwift (www.zwift.com - pretty cool, check it out)

Last night was London. Sunday was Central Park in NYC. Friday was Richmond, VA. One day last week was Innsbruck. The only other "location" is their fictional island, Watopia. The whole thing is pretty cool and the tech that you can get for it is lots of fun.

----------------------------------------------

Did a Freeletics workout tonight. Wasn't feeling awesome going into it, but didn't want to bail on it as I've done so many evenings for the non-cycling workouts lately.

Dynamic Warmup

Upper Body interval of 3 rounds of
    20s Active Hang
    25x Crunches
    15x Negative Pushups
    30s Rest

Left biceps is screwy with certain movements right now so had to go Neutral for hang (wide really hurt). 25x Crunches is okay the first round, but the next two? Not so much. Same with the Negs.

Then did a PB of 10 Negative Pushups. Tried to maintain form so took me :51...should be like 30-40s, I think. but hard to make my body do what I think it should.

Active cooldown.

-----------------------------------------

Tomorrow's ridhe, I think I'll do in Watopia.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Duh. I should have realized that.

I'll have to check into this and see if they have something for running.

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:dance:You're in luck! Zwift There's a god video at that link. Good luck!

* runners pass me all of the time when I'm doing power based ascents, so am only going at 4-7 km/h or so....runners go blasting by me all of the time. Almost embarrassing, but I don't actually care. But it is kinda funny to see them go zooming by.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Strength" ride tonight. Innsbruck was available and I'd only ridden there once, so I decided to do that rather than Watopia. Basically, a couple of warmup intervals at progressively more difficult power settings and then a series of 2 minute intervals of 0:10 at 395 watts and 1:50 at 130 watts, but all at 100 rpm cadence (my preferred cadence is more like 90, so it's a bit tough). Did 5 or so of those, then 10 minutes at 130, then 5 more strength intervals, then a 10 minute "Cooldown" (and I use that term loosely as the power shot up to 186 for the cooldown!!!).

And I had McDonald's for lunch. :bang:

Our fridge compressor died on Friday right before the long weekend, so we had to move everything down to the basement fridge...thankfully, my bro moved out a few months ago so that was even an option. Repair guy came back today to diagnose exactly what he needed so now parts are on order and we're just waiting for him to come back.

3.5 year old Samsung that we paid far too much for. Grr!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about the fridge. Since it's only 3.5 years old it should be under warranty; still it's a PIA and you're fortunate to have a back up so that you don't experience food spoilage.

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Fridge is finally scheduled for repair NEXT TUESDAY. That's 2.5 weeks fridgeless. Well, not fridgeless, but it's hard to believe how spoiled we are with the simplest things until just having to go downstairs to hit the fridge becomes a supreme annoyance.

I've kept up with the cyling over the past week. Tonight was a late night Strength ride around Watopia. Tuesday was a foundation ride, Sunday was a Tempo ride, and Saturday was also a Foundation ride.

I'm doing a program that's designed to help increase my FTP (functional threshold power, if I correctly remember the acronym). Weeks get progressively more challenging and extend the intervals of higher output. I'm not sure where I'll end up but I came into it at 248. I'd like to eventually get up to ~300. Maybe even 325. It's a bit much but a good goal.

Had more to say but it's been a busy week and I remember nothing, hah. Have a good one, friends.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I can definitely understand how not having one's primary refrigerator would be a pain; fortunately you have a second one to alleviate what would really be a pain.

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yep, as frustrating as it is, I'm obviously very fortunate to not have the situation be a real problem. Guess it was worth buying that extended warranty...(which in and of itself speaks volumes about the quality of products these days).

Just finished another Foundation ride. Now if I could just motivate myself to eat as well as I'm exercising.

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Two weeks with out a fridge would be tough. Glad you have a backup

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Especially since my parents arrived today and are here to visit a sick relative for a week or so. Ah well, I guess we'll survive. Should be fixed on Tuesday.

Busy week ahead...dentist in the morning tomorrow, then late client meetings until ~9pm tomorrow night then Tuesday is good then Wednesday is a run up to Whistler for early in the AM and then rushing back to the office for a meeting (Whistler is about two hours away) and then Thursday is another early day for my BNI Group's visitor's day. I'll be a tired boy this week.

Just finished a tempo ride around Richmond, VA. 1:22, 34 km (just a bit over 20 miles). Butt hurts. But feeling good. Off to bed for an early day tomorrow!

Have a great week, everyone!

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Enjoy your busy week.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You must be glad you bought the extended warranty. I had a refrigerator that needed to be replaced after less than 6 years. It is ashamed to get rid of something so new, but it cost so much to repair, it usually is not worth it to repair (I think that is their plan).

You seem pretty consistent on your workouts.

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

The guy that finally came to finish fixing the fridge on Friday (!!!! --- the guy's tool was broken that was needed to repair it on Tuesday so they tried to rebook me for Tuesday of this coming week and I said no way and made them come on Friday...which meant I had to stay home from work...what a mess) was explaining some of the differences to me and how the old fridges were way more reliable and why; however, also less efficient. He also described it as engineers just finding a way to justify their jobs, hah.

Firstly, I know I've been shit at keeping up with your journals. I hope that changes soon, but for now, I'm just trying to get into the groove of being back and posting and taking care of my life. I do appreciate that some of you have still found time to come here, though. It means a lot.

The week was super busy. Parents ended up going home on Thursday (which they weren't supposed to...and was one of the reasons I booked the fridge repair for Friday!). Step-aunt had three days of surgery and survived, so that's good. Last thing my family needs is more stress. They went home, though, because step-sis has an infection and she also has an auto-immune disorder where any illness is potentially life threatening, so they have to take care of her. She's doing alright now (I think), so that's good.

Work was busy. Didn't get my workouts in on Tuesday or Wednesday like I hoped (knew I wouldn't on Monday or Thursday). But wife was away from Thursday to tonight (late Sunday night), and son was with Grammie for Thursday and Friday night, so I got home to a house to myself on Thursday evening, got up and did a Foundation (basically LISS with long periods of lower-mid intensity) ride on Friday AM. Then walked the dog, then ran up to the office for 15 minutes then came back home in time for the repair guy to get here at about 10:15. Worked from home until he finished at 6:15. Ran Angus out for a quick second walk in there as well. Then went to friend's for an awesome dinner (he does amazing steaks). Got home late but got up on Saturday and then did a 'strength' ride (longer ride but with short bursts of very high intensity). Got the dog out for another walk. Picked up kiddo, helped Grammie with some stuff then helped wife's aunt with some stuff then came home and played outside with kiddo (beautiful here the past few days). After he went to bed, I did another Foundation ride (I was playing deep catch up at this point) and got to bed not TOO late.

Today was a slower day...pancakes and eggs with offspring, dog walk, bit of garage cleanup, Costco run, playing outside with offspring, he went to bed way too late due to DST, then I was down to start my final ride of the week at approx 10:30 but then wife got home. So I didn't even get on the bike until about midnight and it was a long ride tonight, too. 1:26 Tempo ride. Finished at 1:30am, which is why I'm still up now. Good thing I got a short nap in when putting kiddo to sleep. Watched Expendables 3 while riding last night and tonight. Cool (dumb) movie.

I think I'll be able to be around more this week. Which is good, because I have some training planning to do, beyond my riding. Conference on Friday, though, so I have to get things figured out.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad your step aunt's surgery went well and that you step sister is doing okay.