1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Not much better, at this point, tbh. But I just deal with it. Hop off every now and then for a butt break.

Speaking of which, even though it's 11pm, I should probably do something. Although shoveling snow for two hours doesn't count as nothing, I should do more.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I ended up doing a short ride that was the terminus of my "Fondo Training Plan" on Sunday.

Then, on Monday, I decided to do a FTP test. I did a bit of reading on FTP testing and most things I read considered it brutal and hard on the body and hard to get a good result. As an alternative, I discovered that Trainer Road developed something called "Ramp Testing" whereby one rides at short but progressively harder intervals (with no breaks) until you "pop" (charming term). Then, through a calculation, you get your FTP. I dug around a bit and found a Zwift adapted version of this with a calculator for the testing. My previous estimate was ~190.

I did a ten minute warmup (with FTP set to 100 for the purpose of the test) then did 150 seconds at 150W and progressing in 25W intervals every 150 seconds. I cleared 300 and stopped 6 seconds into 325. This put my estimated FTP at 248. WAY higher than I thought.

I'm going to see if I can do the ramp test on TR and see if it comes in similar. But it also may explain why I was rarely truly gassed after rides. I felt good and like I'd put out effort, but never felt overdone. This may change things, hah. We'll see how it goes.