1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Nice hikes. 40 pounds is a heavy load.

Snow in Vancouver? Does Seattle have snow as well? That explains San Francisco being grey and rainy this winter. Everything has shifted south.

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: nohomo :o

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

When my daughter was born I bought a jogging stroller and used it for years; a very worthwhile investment. Check your local classifieds or sites like Craigslist; you'll likely come across a good used one that a family has outgrown.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

We've been up above freezing for several days now, so the snow is starting to fade, which is nice. Seattle got hit fairly hard, as well, I believe. I don't really watch the news but heard something about it. Are you in SF? My recollection is foggy.

Yep, we have a BOB that will function well enough....when the aforementioned snow clears.

UPDATE

Weekend wasn't stellar in terms of nutrition (not awful, but just not great) but I did very well in terms of keeping moving and getting out with the dog, at a minimum.

Fitbit Charge HR strap is falling apart again, so I think I'm going to move over the Garmin World and grab a Garmin Approach X40. It's actually a golf band; however, has all of the standard fitness tracker goodies therein...and it's waterproof. And I've never had a Garmin device fail on me.

I'm already sporting a Fenix 3 Sapphire as my main watch, so going whole-hog Garmin won't hurt, I don't think.

Trying to figure out how to plan out my workout life. Three evenings/week are eaten up with childcare until at least 9:30 (well, he's usually asleep and done with me by 8:30). I figure that I should dedicate those evenings to my spin workouts in between when he's gone to sleep and the wife gets home around 9 or 9:30.

But...my regular workouts with the trainer at the gym are W/F at 8am. So do I want hard spins followed up by hard trainer workouts 11 hours later? Tough call on that one. Maybe one spin night....

And now just finding a time to fit in yoga classes. A client teaches a "Healthy Back and Hips" yoga class that I think I could benefit from.

Have a lovely evening, friends. Journal catchup later...

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I may be in a similar spot here, soon. One of the librarians at Sara's branch is leaving so she may pick up a couple of weeknights. She's also going to try to go to the local yoga studio in the evenings. I love hanging out with the kid, but that - on top of a full work day - is a long day. :sleep:

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

That's definitely a long day, particularly as you get up so early. What time does he go to sleep?

I usually take Mac up for bed between 7-7:30, read some books ("CURIOUS GEORGE AND THE BICYCLE!!!!" repeated ad nauseum...), have a before bed bottle, and listen to some music and snuggle in. Asleep around 8pm....transfer him to his crib between 8:15-8:30. Then, if he stays asleep (not common these days) until at least 10pm, that would give me time to do a home spin workout. I'm going to start trying to do that one or two nights/week. The especially important part is that, knowing that I'll be working out later will prevent me from eating crap during the afternoon/evening.

I'm also going to try to fit in an actual spin workout on Monday evenings at 6pm at the gym. My trainer's wife teaches it and she's badass.

I've been having a lot of "challenges" with food, lately. I simply don't seem to have the willpower to get past the cravings. It seems like such a simple thing..."just don't eat it." But, realistically, it's an addiction. I'm verging on a light form of depression when it comes to my food because I know I ought not eat much of what I do, but I do it anyhow, so I'm angry at myself for doing it. But I want it. On the plus side, today was a good day. I'm going to go make one of Gord's old protein/oats/milk/ff-sf pudding things for an evening snack. It's a start.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

I was looking for an article I have read in the last few years that discusses why assigning good / bad labels to different foods and putting groups of foods off limits tends to backfire. I can't find the article right now. Anyways, the point was essentially we all want what we cant have. The article recommended allowing desserts and such foods at specific times and events but not as a reward. Using these as rewards makes the craving worse. The article suggested eating foods that you like which are filling, contain sufficient nutrients, and are generally satisfying as the basis. If you are full from the huge salad and lean beef you had for lunch you are less likely to binge on the candy jar at the office.

Changing how we think of food is probably the best way to eat reasonably healthy.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's all over the place right now. He'll go down sometime between 8:00 pm and 11:00 pm. It used to be 8:00 pm like clockwork, but everything changed back when we went into daylight savings time. :confused:

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Fuck, I hate that I don't have time to go over journals, etc. It's annoying me. I will, though.

I've been good since my last post. I wouldn't say 100% perfect, but probably 90%. And that's good for me. For now, at least.

I dropped about 4 lbs (mostly water weight, I'm sure). 262 to 257.8 this morning. Am going to buy a new bike trainer to make it more feasible to use Zwift and others...deciding between a Cycleops Magnus and a Wahoo Kickr Snap. Magnus will have to be ordered from the US but can be had for almost $200 less than the Snap...and that's pretty snappy. Hah.

Been walking with the heavy bag the last couple of nights. Makes my knee twinge a bit, but I think that's a strengthening thing.

Just gotta keep it rollin'.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

No worries. You logging your own journal is the important part.

I saw a fitness motivational quote that read "It is not about perfection, it is about consistency". I though about making it my signature.

Good job dropping a few pounds.

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: You've got enough on your plate. Don't take on things that aren't useful. :nod:

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I'm not gone. Still working at it. Just quietly :)

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

Stealth mode is good. Quietly get buffed.

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :spaz: