1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Seattle's definitely a fun and manageable town. I had forgotten how hilly parts of it are. When I was there in July and went for my run I avoided the really steep hills. :D

We stayed in the center of the city at the hotel where the rehearsal dinner was held and the bus to the wedding left from. Convenient, but pricey. Even with the wedding group discount I paid north of $250 a night.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I hear ya, I Hotwired for $265/night! (turns out it was super busy because of the Seahawks home opener the next day).

No gym last night. I had an errand to run (Costco) which ended in me eating too much (I love their hot dogs and pizza) and made me run out of time. I'll make up for it tonight, I hope.

3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Still trying to get into the groove. On Wednesday, I had promised R that I'd make dinner so I threw a chicken onto the rotisserie before my planned gym outing (after a very brisk walk). The problem was that I didn't set the rotisserie up properly first and the grill was hot so then I couldn't leave it unattended. That's what I get for being careless. At least I got the walk in.

Last night, I scrapped making dinner so that I could go to the gym. First, I took Angus for a 4km walk in just over 36 minutes (I think we came out at 9:04 pace, which is my second fastest for that route to date). Went home, fed him, threw on the gym duds and managed to work on a "day 2" workout plan (even though it's been a week since day 1...). I don't know if anyone uses fitocracy so I'll just post the workout instead:

Dumbbell Lunges:
    35 lb x 10 reps (+71 pts)
    40 lb x 10 reps (+73 pts)
    40 lb x 10 reps (+73 pts)
    Chin-Up:
    4 reps || assisted || 105 lb (+11 pts)
    5 reps || assisted || 135 lb (+6 pts)
    7 reps || assisted || 135 lb (+8 pts)
    5 reps || assisted || 135 lb (+6 pts)
    Seated Cable Row:
    100 lb x 12 reps (+33 pts)
    120 lb x 12 reps (+38 pts)
    140 lb x 6 reps (+39 pts)
    120 lb x 3 reps (+25 pts)
    Dumbbell Deadlift:
    40 lb x 10 reps (+53 pts)
    40 lb x 10 reps (+53 pts)
    45 lb x 10 reps (+57 pts)
    Dumbbell Bench Press:
    35 lb x 10 reps (+51 pts)
    40 lb x 10 reps (+55 pts)
    40 lb x 10 reps (+55 pts)

I also couldn't find the exercise in there but I did a "dumbbell row with rotation" as seen here:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/dumbbell-row-rotation

15lb x 10 reps x 3 sets

I'm struggling with not feeling like I have the right breakdown of workouts for my two FBR days. Reached out to see about meeting with a trainer but I don't think I'm going to like the guy that they're setting me up with because I didn't like the guy who was doing the setting up (how's that for logic??). These fucking gym salespeople are cocks. I hate them. I might just go to my friend's trainer at a different gym for a few sessions to help me set up the plan because I trust my friend.

Leaving work early today to head up to my parent's new house in Kelowna for the weekend. Too bad the weather's turning...if it had stayed nice, it would have been nice to hit the new pool. I'll definitely be in the hot tub, though, as last night's lunges + db deads are definitely leaving residual "sensation" in my legs.

I doubt I'll get golf in as the weather's looking a bit shoddy. I was hoping to go for a ride, too, but I don't know about that either. We'll see.

4. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Nice lunges, I can't walk the next day after doing those :lol:

Also yeah I wouldn't bother with a personal trainer at a commercial gym. Maybe one of those smaller types. See if there is anyway you can find a private one that actually knows something. I've always worked out in big chain globogyms and all the PT's have always been total bros.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yeah, was a bit sore going down stairs for the next two days! Thanks!

I'm wary of the trainer. I'll talk to him and see how it is but I'm too lazy to go all the way out to where my friend goes to see his.

:confused: Maybe that's part of the problem. :lol:

6. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm....Costco pizza is pretty good, but I love their Chicken Pockets the best. For hotdogs, Home Depot is the winner. :drool:

I agree, most GloboGym trainers are crap. The storefront gyms contract out and take such a high percentage of their wages that most good trainers won't work with them. I have found smaller gyms that view trainers as an adjunct to bringing in more clients generally offer better training.

7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I love the $1.50 hot dog and unlimited soda.

I haven't found the cost of a trainer worth the benefit. They cost too much to keep one on regularly. And for quick fixes I find books and websites more helpful because it gives me time to pour over the details.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Personally I would not spend the money for the average trainer unless you need the "forced discipline". My wife will only do strength training when she is working with a trainer. She needs the appointment to force her to go to the gym. Most trainers have standard routines they use for everyone. The routine is normally machine focused and is intended to justify having all the expensive equipment in the gym. It is not intended to give you the best workout.

If you feel you need a trainer you should find a really good trainer that will set you up with a routine based on your goals not the gym's goals.

There are lots of good routines by mastover in the strength training section set up for different body types and experience. You might one to try one of those.

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hello friends.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Hi Silver! :wave:

11. macdiver

Bronze Member

Wow,. Welcome Back

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yep, just finding it hard to fit through the door ;)

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :eek:

:dance::wave::dance:

:morning:

14. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    We made the doors narrower than before. Fewer people. More exclusive. Welcome back.

Seltzer likes this.
  15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see it's a bit quieter than it once was.

Short version...life has become "busy". My kid is slightly older than M@'s (he'll be two in April). My puppy will be 10 in August. My practice is now almost 9 years old. I have a junior lawyer, three staff, and a (very) part-time bookkeeper working for me.

Trying to decide how I can fit time in for fitness. It's very, very hard. Eating hard is even more challenging as I've come to the realization that I have a form of an eating disorder...over consumption and a straight up sugar addiction. As nice as it is to say that it's all just willpower, etc...it's not quite that simple.

Finding time to track calories (or to eat/prepare food that is properly trackable) is extremely challenging. Finding time for working out is additionally challenging. I currently see a trainer twice a week for the sake of helping keep me mobile and we focus on a lot of stretching and movement combined with workouts. I've been doing that for awhile now.

Ideally, I'd like to incorporate two yoga sessions and two spin sessions a week, as well as the two workouts with the trainer (which would then turn into full workouts instead of mobility/workouts as yoga would take care of the mobility). Spin's hard to fit into the schedule as well. I think it'll down to me paying the babysitter so that I can go to spin. Hard for me to take off in the mornings as my wife already spends so much time with the kid that I do my best to hang around in the morning for support as many days as I can.

Anyhow...some massive challenges to overcome and a strong desire to do it, but finding time is the hard part. That, and the kid won't sleep alone.

But he's cute, so that's something.

[​IMG]

Pretty sure he comes by it honestly:

[​IMG]

A gooder from last summer (coincidentally, his shirt says "I love working out...just kidding! I take naps":

[​IMG]

Last one...from his "sexy model pose" workshop:

[​IMG]

16. macdiver

Bronze Member

Cute kid.

Time is a strange thing. While each day only has 24 hours we always find the time to do what we enjoy or to waste on TV or the internet. There is never time to do what we should be doing.

I'm not preaching. I'm comiserating as I have a similar situation.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I actually don't spend that much time on those things...having the kid has changed all of that (because the little shit doesn't stay asleep and one of us always has to go up and tend to him until he's back to being dead to the world...so most of my net time is spent sitting with him while he snoozes beside me...or at work). But yeah, I get your point. If I gained efficiency, I could probably find time.

That's part of my goal list right now.

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I actually had pretty good results last summer with weight "control" by walking on a daily basis. Not just la-de-da walking... but purposeful, focused walking at a reasonable pace. So a jogging stroller (when the weather is decent enough to use it) might be something to look into.

As far as the food intake, portion control through meal prep will help with that. Tupperware is your friend, and the hour you spend cooking for several days will pay you back in time not spent foraging for crap. Sugar addiction is much harder... let me know if you find anything that helps with that.

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod: I hang out and play with my boy 'til Noon or so on the weekends so that my wife can sleep in. He's been staying up late, too, so she doesn't have much time to herself.

The home gym has been the best investment in myself that I've ever made, apart from secondary education. It's always there whenever I have time and there's no wasted time in commuting.

:eek: :heart: :dance: :heart: :dreamy: :heart: :dance: :heart:

Cute is an understatement. That is a came-with-the-picture-frame adorable little man! :heart: :dreamy: :heart:

He's gorgeous, and you're lookin' pretty damn good, too. :o

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks bud, and congrats on yours, pretty cute too! And a hell of an adventure!

I like your idea of the home gym. I don't have space for it (at least until my brother moves out of the basement in a year or two), but I do have space to get my bike set up on the trainer and get back to doing some Spinervals or Trainer Road or something like that. My wife and I were just talking while on our way to dinner about how we might try trading off mornings to do our respective workouts from home.

Because our little shithead (and I mean that in the most loving way possible) doesn't sleep well on his own, one of us usually ends up sleeping with him in the guest room. I know that is the worst thing, etc etc...but it's the way things are and we haven't decided how to deal with it just yet. But it does complicate the morning routine a little.

Thanks PD - good advice, as always. We do have a BOB stroller that could be used to jog with (to some extent, anyhow) as it's meant for such...even if it's not the "best" for jogging...but definitely good for walking. As soon as this snow vacates (since when does Vancouver have snow??? what a pain in the ass...) we'll get back to doing some proper walks. I've been pretty diligent over the past couple of weeks about taking Angus (the dog) back into the park for his regular walks...and last night I tried it with a 40 lb pack on to see what my baseline is. I cut the walk short at 3km because I found that the pack was starting to feel pretty heavy about halfway in and, given the snow/slipper conditions, I felt it better to be cautious and not overdo it. I'm going to ligthen the load a bit (just a pack filled with magazines...so I'll pull out about 10 lbs worth) and keep that up for the usual 4km distance circuit and then start adding distance and weight.

Ultimately, I want to be comfortable with a 60+ lb pack for about 10+ kms....and I'm also going to try to get up to 100'ish lb pack for 2-4 kms.......I've taken up hunting for a variety of reasons, but mostly (a) for food and, a secondary reason (b) a family thing (my dad's a long time hunter and it's a great way for us to connect as he's getting older and to spend even more time together). That type of workout will really be key in helping to improve my seasonal performance come fall.

I'm also wanting to incorporate two days of spin and two days of yoga (along with my two days of working out with my personal trainer) and 4-6 days of the aforementioned walks (although they won't always be with the weighted packs). When the weather gets better, I may replace one of the spin days with runs...or some of the walks with runs...depending on how the week's going.

And that's where we're at.

Thanks again for the welcome back...it feels like home. Although it's interesting to go back and read my old posts...man, I was dedicated!