1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Food the past two days hasn't been TOO bad. Not perfect, but not bad. If I focus, I can keep it on track. I keep getting clients pop up in the evenings and that impacts my ability to go for a run or to the gym. My goal is to get back into the gym twice a week and to run 2 or 3 times a week. It's a slightly ambitious goal but one which, with some planning, I can probably handle. The main problem is that if I go to the gym, I still have to get the dog out, and sometimes I only have an hour one way or the other and can't necessarily fit both in. We'll see.

I'll try to remember to weigh in tomorrow.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Try as I might, eating more than about 20% protein is VERY hard without actively consuming PROTEIN. Ate "normal" food today (but calorically limited) and I'm sitting at 18% right now. Jeez

Worked out at the gym last night ( :o ) For real. First time in a LONG time. I'll be figuring out a routine to do twice a week, I hope.

Ran tonight. Just a 3km stint to work at getting back into it. Surgeon said it's okay to run with Angus but to start small. So we did 19 minutes today. Good start.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to see you posting again and it's nice to read that Angus has been cleared for some activity.

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul - hoping to be back for awhile (again). So much of it centres around how busy work is.

Okay, quoting this from an earlier part of the thread discussing a good FBR (MannishBoy and I had sorted out something pretty good) and it's where I'd like to end up for twice a week lifting:

I'll look at it some more later, but it should work out nicely.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Yeah, work and life in general has a way of getting in the way.

The A/B routine you hashed out seems like a good all around workout. Hope it works out well for you.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Running a 3k is a good way to get started again. Are you going to run 3 days and lift 2 days?

For protein, I find that I need to use powder to get my target of 1.5 grams per pound bodyweight. If I don't supplement, I go way over on fat trying to eat that much meat no matter how lean the meat is.

7. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Seltz - me too!

That's the plan, yes. I'm leaning towards a Sunday/Thursday lifting split (subject to change based on time and other activity) and just running three days. Probably Saturday, Tuesday, Friday. Maybe others, as well. Who knows. Running in shorts and a tee shirt right now feels so free after running through the miserable winter.

I agree with the protein. I don't have a specific target for protein right now - I'm mostly just going for a set caloric amount with "as much protein as I can reasonably fit in" so I'm sure I'll be adding some additional protein supplementation in lieu of other calories...even though it's less fun.

So yesterday I ran in the morning. It was right around "full dog park hour" so there were plenty of dogs around and he stopped several times. I wasn't going for any records so I stopped with him when he stopped and to throw the ball for and walked when needed (just the one time at the top of the hill because of the aforementioned stops). Al little over 3.6 km in a much slower 28 minutes...but again, it wasn't about speed - just getting out there for the run and getting the dog out.

I then played golf in the afternoon at a club that my friend just joined. Hmm, I'm not a fan of the course, but good for him. It's close to his home and has tennis and a pool and other stuff that we don't have. But I like my course more. We walked - pretty flat course so I won't give myself too many free calories on that one!

Other than the usual debacle that is my late evening food binge, I did alright.

Today, I've worked at keeping the food in check. I managed to stop at the second piece of pizza, which was harder than I thought it would be. Pizza's one of those foods...a piece can easily become two can easily become four can easily become two larges and a box of cheesy bread. But I got away with 600 cals.

Probably won't be running tonight - running around to see clients but will still be walking Angus later (may run - will see how I'm feeling and how late it is).

Onward!

8. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Must be nice running outside with your dog.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Been there, except for the part you were able to control yourself to 2 pieces. :)

Glad to hear your dog is doing good.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Good attitude about the run; sometimes just "doing it" is a worthy goal.

Pizza.....why is it so hard to stop? (Rhetorical) Kudos to you for doing so.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I think it is worse than adult beverages :nod:

Silver, nice run with the pup,

12. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a story my friend told me, he got a pizza and passed his neighbors and didn't offer them a slice. He wonders if they would have taken it or acted polite and declined. Of course they would have taken it nobody is turning down free pizza.

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:tu: Yep I love it!

Hah, it's a tough fight for me but I managed and an hour later, I was glad for it. I still felt hungry for awhile but resisted the urge and then I was okay later. Tough to fight that fight at times.

And thanks - it's good to know he's able to get back into it. I'm the crazy dog guy around here... :lol:

Yep, no focus on speed most of the time (but for when I'm going for it, such as discussed below).

Thanks for the kudos. I could eat a ton of pizza. I love it. Grr.

Thanks!

:lol: exactly!

So Monday was as expected - home too late and didn't run, but didn't eat completely terribly either.

Yesterday, I ate well during the day and headed over to the golf club to play a round with some of the people that send me business regularly. We also played with a real estate developer who I'm trying to hedge in on so that he can fire a few deals my way. Good round (+3 on the front, which for me is pretty good...one bogey and one double, and +11 on the back, which was disappointing after the front...straight bogeys but for the two doubles) and a good time. Ate...not badly. Good turkey sandwich (REAL turkey) and a cookie and a Snapple. Could be worse.

I then went home, threw on some running duds and took Angus up for a short run. Did 3.22km in about 19:30. Close to 6:00 even - my current goal. I'll get there. I'm on a sub-55 plan for 10km. If I even remotely follow the plan, I think I'll do well. I ultimately want to get down to 45 minutes for 10km, but I don't know if I can go that low - that's pretty quick and, well, I'm not pretty quick.

Tonight, just waiting for some clients to come in and then I'll head home, grab the dog, do a 4km walk in about 36 minutes or so and then will take him home, feed him, and grab a change of clothes and head to the gym to lift. Must try "Day 2" of the previously discussed FBR. Or redo Day 1 with a better setup.

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, last night's plans changed. Clients were late :-)fist:) and I forgot my brother was coming over, so it ended up being a night where I booked it home, took Angus for a short walk, and then made dinner. Good dinner...pan roasted fresh open water wild halibut top with freshly squeezed lemon juice, a good balsamic, and fresh heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market, fresh farmed beans (green yellow and purple) and a couscous side. And a bottle of wine...white Meritage...really nice.

Tonight I'll be going to see a client so will try to go home first, walk the dog, then go to client, then go to the gym. If all goes well.

15. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I miss Andy....:kickrock:

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

me too. he's good people.

Last night's order was different than expected. Saw client earlier, went home, walked, went to the gym.

Warm up on the bike (even though I'd just walked in the park, I was talking to my mom on the phone so wasn't walking as fast as I should)

DB Squats (10x25, 10x30, 12x35, 12x35)
    DB SLDL (12x20, 10x35, 10x35, 10x35) where I also "shrugged" at the top
    Bench bent over DB rows (10x15, 10x25, 10x35)
    Weighted twists (just standing with a weight plate) (9x25, 10x35, 10x45)
    Incline DB flyes (10x15, 12x25, 10x30)
    Assisted PUs (5x100, 5x120, 6x120, 7x130)

It's a start...

Next workout will be

DB Lunges
    Deadlifts (but not too heavy) or Single Leg Romanian DLs
    Bench
    Cable Row
    Medicine Ball Golf Twists
    Maybe a DB Raise
    Assisted Chins

Going to Seattle this weekend...so may not work out until Sunday night (if then). Running tonight after golf.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A starts a start. :tucool:

Enjoy your weekend in Seattle. I was there at the end of July for a family wedding. Relatively speaking I wasn't too far from you, but I had no free time and no car.

_P6A1357.jpg

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Great picture, Paul! Let me know next time you're out this way and I'll try to make a point of going down to visit. I guess if I'd been a bit more active on boards, I would have seen that...my bad.

Golfed a pleasant round in wonderful weather this evening. Nothing special, but fun. 4:13 to play and it felt slow at times. I'm spoiled. Then, came home, grabbed Angus, and we headed up for another 3.23km run. A bit slower at 20:10 this time, but I was tired and had had two drinks during golf, so it was good just to go.

Oh yeah, 244.2 today. It's going down, so that's good. "Restarted" at about 247.

#1898 Silver, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Thanks about the picture. Don't feel bad. This past trip we spent less than 72 hours in Seattle, a really short stay, so I didn't contact you directly because I knew that almost every hour of us being there was spoken for.

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

Weekend was great. Seattle's a cool town. I'll be back for sure. Just might stay somewhere outside of the City Centre...that's not cheap. Holy crap. And had a GREAT meal at an Italian place called Cascina Spinasse up in Capitol Hill. Really top notch but also very relaxed. Comedy show was excellent (Daniel Tosh - funny guy).

Overall, good weekend. Got out for a run last night and will hopefully get to the gym after walking the dog tonight. We'll see how that all shapes up.