1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Gah! One day belated congratulations, bud! :bow: Look at you, all accomplishing goals and whatnot. :lol:

M@

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congratulations on finishing your second year. :tu:

3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, hardest part about this year was combining the whole "I'm fat and don't wanna be" plan with "I don't wanna fail".

But it's done, so now it's time for golf!

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Hey Silver....if you ever pack it in as a lawyer I think you've got a great future ahead of you as a late-night radio talk-show host ( going by your "soapbox" rants you almost equalled Adam Carolla or Rush Limbaugh :eek: )

Oh..and by the way...do your kickbacks last in your tri's routine.

What's next on the vocal chopping block?:D

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hah, thanks Hevy! I've actually been told that I have a good "radio voice" - so maybe it's a calling!

I learned recently that I should do kickbacks last because of the way it all works - maybe from your post, actually. Oh well, I'm gonna be changing my whole routine ASAP anyhow. I've taken a few days and will be taking a few more to let this aging old body heal up as it was getting tired. I know, woe is me.

I haven't decided what my next rant will be about just yet. I know I can get a bit verbose at times, especially when I actually have the opportunity to sit down and think about it while I'm writing. I'm sure it'll be somehow related to things that people do that annoy me, though :lol:

I'm predictable like that.

I have a feeling it might be about the insanity and greed that's pervasive in our education system - meaning that our education system breeds these things in our students and encourages them from day one to go out and take over the world, rather than being part of it and just trying to get along with people.

But that's for another day. I wrote way too much for school in the past few days to feel like thinking about much of anything.

Onto another interesting topic though - an Island grocery store that Hevy may be familiar with just opened up in my neighbourhood (Thrifty Foods). It has quite the reputation on the Island as being THE store of choice. After visiting there today, I can see why. EXCELLENT produce, EXCELLENT meats, cheeses, organics, and deli options...overall, a great environment. But the best part...

They were giving away FREE APPLE PIES! Luckily I was with my gf and she convinced me to only take one, which is good. I had a piece today (I think it's an integral part of my cut, now) and MAN WAS THAT GOOD! One of the best apple pies I've ever had, and I've had a LOT of good apple pies in my day (as you can see from my "before" pics).

Thrify Foods + Apple Pie = good. That is the moral of today's post.

6. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    That's better than being told you have a face for radio!

7. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Roll on summer and roll on the golf!

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

First round is today at noon! WOO! :tucool:

And Weasel, I think I've been told that, too! :lol:

9. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

"Thrifty's" is pretty good for selection. Nice store (over here ,anyway) too. They sometimes get a little pricey though. We also have " Quality " Foods which is usually a little easier on the wallet and still a "designer" store. Then there's "Save-on". Good for saving money.

No "Safeway" here in Qualicum. They have nice stores but their prices are over the top compared to elsewhere. ( I once went into a Safeway in Maui and thought I was in a time-warp and had returned to the Island somehow). The store there was identical to one that I've been to in the past in another town here where I used to live.

I'm just on the way out the door right now to see if I can score a "sympathy" pie from Thrifty's ( I'll cry a lot and accuse them of discrimination if they don't give me one).:D

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hevy, I think the Thrifty here is going to have to watch their pricing because they have a Safeway five minutes in either direction, so if they get too out of control, they won't have jack for customers, aside from the "omg I've got no milk and it's an emergency" people.

I kicked my own ass today - AND IT'S MY WEEK OFF!

I went golfing for the first time in almost 7 months. My upper back and my shoulders are KILLING me. KILLING. I didn't even want to carry my bag on the last few holes, I thought I might just leave it behind and see if anyone with a cart would pick it up for me. Then I remembered how much my clubs cost.

I didn't play well, but I don't care because it was a beautiful day and I had a great time. I figured out some of the things I need to work on to get this season back on track with where I was last season (short game all the way).

According to the www.caloriesperhour.com, Golf - Carrying Clubs burns 2136 calories in 4.5 hours. WHAT THE HELL? Is that even possible? I guess it is, but it seems a bit high.

Maybe that's why I'm so damn tired.

11. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

The only times I don't carry my clubs is if it is raining when I leave the house. Nothing worse than putting a wet bag on your back. But 2100-some calories? That doesn't sound right, surely?

If it is then :D - I choked in yesterdays round big time. :o

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I don't think that calorie counter factors in the time spent sitting at tee boxes and stuff. It might give you appropriate amounts for the time actually spent walking/swinging, but it doesn't factor in waiting for 2 groups on a par 3 or for your playing partners to hit. At least that's my assumption. I'm probably just going to list all of my rounds as 3 hours to account strictly for walking/swinging. That'll probably make more sense.

At least I got rained out yesterday - saving my body some major pain.

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

So, this past week was the closest to falling off the wagon that I've come.

a) A week off from resistance training started earlier than I planned which means it'll end later than I planned and will become 10 days instead of 7 (Monday the 24th to Wednesday the 3rd). This happened because of school pressures and then just sheer exhaustion. Plus I tweaked my shoulder somehow yesterday (maybe at the driving range, although I'm not sure...)

b) Ate a Big Mac, 2/3 of a small apple pie, a pretty big piece of triple chocolate fudge cake, 3/5 of a real nice German Spatlese bottle (sweeter white wine), and a few other smaller, more insignificant crappy foods over the course of the week. I started to let things slide a bit (still tracking everything), so it's time to get back on the wagon and get back to it. No excuses, just time to eat right.

c) Bailed on cardio for the past several days. I'm just tired and want to rest, so I'm taking the time. Ended up 17/30 in the cardio challenge, which is nothing to be proud of, but it's a start. More cardio than I've ever done before in a month.

Why all this? Just glad to be done school and letting off some steam, I guess. This week will be good, though. Next week will be better, and so on. I'm still a bit ahead of schedule in the weight loss, although it's definitely slowed down. I'm at 24 lbs in 11 weeks (231 this morning). If I'd continued losing at the rate I was losing before, I'd probably be closer to 225, but I'm okay with where I am because I feel that it's been a healthy loss and I'm feeling alright.

Time to go make an Egg Beater/turkey bacon/fat free cheese slice english muffin. Yum!

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: what the hell is wrong with me?

Feeling all good about myself and my newfound resolve to keep on the horse so I ran to that new grocery store to pick up some milk...literally ran. Well, I walked part of it because it's a bit hilly, so probably half ran/half walked or so. It's about 3/4 of a mile with about 100 feet of flat.

So I get there, grab some green onions (for the cottage cheese), some strawberries, and a 2L of skim milk. As I'm walking over to the dairy, they're serving a BIG HUGE MOFO'ING BIRTHDAY CAKE and the slices are BIG. Did I say no? HELL NO! I ate one of the biggest pieces there, and I think it was a corner piece so it had EXTRA ICING! :drool:

Well, I tell ya, I ran most of the way back, even up some of the hills to make up for that.

Damnit.

15. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

I know that I could google it but... what the hell is an Egg beater? I'm assuming that it is a food stuff and not a kitchen utensil...

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Basically just egg whites with some chemicals thrown in to make them look and taste more like whole eggs.

I think what the hell is wrong with you is that you're going to a grocery store that gives away free pie and cake!!! If I was on an off-week between programs you bet your ass I'd indulge in that. :eat:

M@

/I'll give you no end of shit about these slipups when you're back on your program though.:D

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hah, yesterday ended up being a relative disaster overall. We ended up going for dinner with our friends/landlords/gf's boss upstairs. Had some steak (yummy) - but we ended up breaking out some wine. Two bottles. No big deal, four adults. Oh wait, only the husband and I drank it. All of it. I think I had about 6 glasses and he had about 4.

I dunno, I haven't been drinking much, so that got me pretty drunk. Then we came downstairs and I ended up scarfing down a bunch of butter tart squares. I don't really know how many, probably the equivalent of about 4 tarts. At least.

Oh well, I'm back on track, my weight stayed steady regardless, and my body fat measurements for this week have gone down to 23.7%, which is down .5% from last week, so that's good.

On track and moving on!

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

This grocery store is gonna be the end of me! Today they were giving away pies again!

I'm sorry, but I can't say no to FREE PIE!

Mmmmm...pie!

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, golf = death

I got my ass kicked something fierce on the course today. I shot about 15 strokes over my handicap and almost 20 over my index. Ouch. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll put some photos of the course up online, it's a fricking NICE course. NIIIIICE. Well, nice views, the course itself is a bit gimmicky (as is often the case with higher mountain courses...due to the terrain). Even with carts, as they were cart path only, it was quite a workout. I'm tired now...really tired.

Beautiful day, though.

Tomorrow...plan starts again - meet with P/T and he will be giving me my new workout, which I will modify as needed. I'm glad to be getting back on plan, fully. Very glad.

Time to kick some ass.

20. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Alright:tu: Let the ass kicking commence!