1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

So, one day closer to Tax exam, about 4 pages of reading closer to understanding it :lol:

Through various methods of procrastination today, I didn't manage cardio (slept poorly and was feeling very listless this morning) but did go to the gym around noon for a "day 2" workout. I had almost NO energy, I felt dead to the world for the better part of the day and didn't achieve too much at the gym. I probably should have eaten more beforehand, but I end up eating some pre-workout food and then put off going to the gym for too long and then all the energy from that food is gone.

I don't quite have this dialled in yet.

Anyhow, it was a pretty weak session, I skipped abs altogether (I basically just do a bunch of bodyweight exercises) in an effort o save some time to come home and study. I did up a couple of weights, though.

Also, as my knee's still been niggling at me, I tried leg extensions instead of leg press or hack squats today. So far it feels okay, we'll see how it feels tomorrow after 40 minutes or so on the elliptical at low intensity.

I underate a little yesterday. (just by about 100 cals)

I'm starting to feel like it might be time to try upping my cals by a couple hundred to see if I have more energy because I think that with all of this increased activity that I've been doing that I'm just not getting enough energy to make it through. I'm currently at about 2100, but I think I might try something closer to 2300 or 2400 for a few days and see how that goes.

It's worth a try.

On a side note, my chocolate mint ice cream recipe (in the recipe section as a "late night snack") is coming along nicely. It's more of a pudding because I never let it freeze long enough...might try making it earlier in the day and see how it freezes. It's good so far, though.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, Tax is done (which also meant that I had to miss morning cardio this morning...down to 13/21 in the challenge).

Now it's on to a pretty easy paper to write and a takehome exam that I have to pick up on Monday and have 48 hours to write.

Now, my next post in here is totally going to be me on a soapbox about a few issues that I think merit discussion. I figure my journal is the least likely place to stir up controversy, despite the avid readership :lol:

For the moment, though, I'll just mention how I kicked my own ass doing my "Day 1" (chest/shoulders/tris) today. I wasn't as strong as Monday (day after eating mondo calories), which didn't surprise me, but it did confirm that I may want to up things a bit. More of a slower, more controlled cut, as right now I'm slightly below my BMR but I'm more active than before, so I think it'd be beneficial to my body to slightly up my calories.

I almost vomited at the gym, so that's always pleasant. I started with the seated chest press, which went alright, but nothing to write home about, then went on to incline flyes, which I found VERY difficult today and had to drop down to 20 lbs for my third (final) set, rather than adding a fourth set of 30 lbs like I did on Monday. Did a few abs (leg raises and 45 degree oblique lift things) and moved on to upright rows. These went well, but sent my heartrate skyrocketing because I really pushed it. Moved on to reverse flyes and could barely make it through 10 reps/set. Those things are hard and not getting any easier. Did some kickbacks, which were better than last time, so that was good and then I moved on to the seated dips.

This was what almost made me puke. I stepped up the weights for my first set to 135x15 (from 120), did another 135x15 (barely) and then decided to bump it up to 150 for the final set. Hah! I think I edged out 13 but I actually failed on the 14th...I've NEVER failed on a seated dip - I've often been exhausted and felt like I couldn't lift my arms after, but never unable to complete the set. I had to sit there and catch my breath to avoid tossing that Cookies and Cream energy/protein bar (Meso-Tech - not bad, but not as good as I hoped - not one I normally buy, was actually an Easter "treat" from the gf because it has more sugar in it than the ones I normally eat). I also often do kickbacks AFTER the seated dips, so that might have contributed to the failure, plus the double stepping up the weights on the first and last set.

I am TIRED now.

Soapbox pending...maybe later tonight...maybe tomorrow. Haven't decided yet.

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    So where's it at, troublemaker? [​IMG]

M@

/avid reader

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I'm going for a bike ride because it's a beautiful sunny morning here on the West Coast.

Then...I'll come back and rant away :D

(we watched Spider-Man 2 last night, so no ranting for me)

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

[soapbox]

So a variety of topics have come up on various forums that I frequent lately and I feel the need to comment on them. The biggest part of the comment is related to the self-righteousness and selfishness of the posters.

I understand that we have to be confident in ourselves and pleased with the way we lead our lives in order to be reasonably be happy, but do we have to be blind to other viewpoints that might have stronger bases in reality? Please understand that I am not excused from this and I include myself in both groups of people - the rational and objective groups AND the closed-minded, little minds that fail to see the big picture. I understand that I'm not perfect and I'm not claiming to be. I also understand that if someone gives me constructive criticism that applies to my life and some of the choices that I make and provides me with viable alternatives for my current methods that I am capable of change for the better.

On that note...

I'd like to address the various fuel price/environmental damage discussions that have come up first and how opinions on those topics relate to other elements of what I consider self-righteousness. I believe I may have addressed this earlier in my journal, but I'm going to reiterate some of it now.

Okay, there are a LOT of complaints about rising gas prices right now. Gas is expensive. Why? Concerns about availability, mostly. Suppy and demand. When something is readily available with no foreseeable end in sight, it is cheaper. When supplies are dwindling and production is more limited, it is more expensive. Listen, I'm not an expert on the fossil fuel industry, nor do I make any claim to be. I'm not basing my views on my perceptions of the situation, learned mostly through media rather than my own research (another one of my failures - I'm too lazy to go look over thousands of articles on the gas biz). So anyhow...prices have gone up. People are upset because a vehicle costs twice as much to fill "than it should cost".

Well, listen, driving is a choice, first of all. Yes, gas prices suck compared to what they used to be. Woe is you and me. Well, let's look at the situation more carefully? My 1994 Honda Civic takes about 40 litres and those 40 litres will take my car somewhere between 450 km (at the very worst) - 700 km (at the very best) and usually average closer to just over 500 km. My mileage thus ranges (for your US readers) between about 27 - 40'ish mpg with an average somewhere around 30 - 31 mpg. I know that this isn't the best mileage available out there, but on student wages, it's not that bad.

Let's look at the guy at pumps on either side of me, one driving a larger SUV (in other words, not simply a car with a jacked up frame like a RAV4 or a Highlander) while the other is driving a spanky Mustang GT. Both are bitching wildly about gas prices. I believe that both them get mileage somewhere below 20 mpg. The guy in the SUV has to pay something like $80 - $100 to fill his tank at current prices. The Mustang, I'm not too sure, but it's a lot and it doesn't get him very far.

Guess what, assholes? IT'S CONSUMPTION LIKE THAT THAT IS CAUSING EXCESSIVE DEMAND ON THE INDUSTRY! (I understand that there are significantly more types of gas consumption than automobiles, but I also am making a presumably reasonable assumption that automobiles are one of the larger/largest fossil fuel consumers.) I'm not saying that my Civic doesn't use gas, but I am saying that it is MORE REASONABLE CONSIDERING THE NEEDS OF MOST PEOPLE AND THE STRUCTURE OF THE SOCIETY IN WHICH WE LIVE.

Let's take my landlords, for example. They have a Toyota Highlander (jacked up Camry, basically) and a 1997 Honda Civic. She drives the Highlander because she owns a dance studio (my gf's boss) and has to cart around various items/children to competitions and what not and therefore wants the extra cargo space and uses it often. They also use that vehicle when going on family trips (2 young daughters) and therefore regularly use the cargo space. She is also an avid garage saler/collectible purchaser and makes a reasonable amount of money off of useless shit that she buys and resells to other idiots (the number of people that buy some ugly ass shit is beyond me). He works a fair distance from home and therefore drives the Civic to and fro daily. He is also able to cart around the family in his car (although not as successfully on family trips due to the cargo space issue in the 4 door sedan). What does he want? A big truck. WHAT THE HELL FOR? He wants to buy a boat and to be able to haul it and "wants to be able to haul other stuff around". Buy a god damn trailer for the Highlander! It has a hitch, USE A TRAILER FOR HAULING. The only thing that has kept him from diving in to date is the price of fuel. HELLO, MCFLY! YOU DO NOT NEED A TRUCK!

One of the other factors that I think that too few people consider is environmentalism. Yes, I understand that true environmentalism would suggest that I would ride my bike everywhere or, even better, walk because then I don't have all the manufacturing of the bike wrecking the environment as well. But let's be real. First of all, I live nearly 40 km from my school (but about 4 km from my gf's work, so this is what we call "compromise" in our home) and about 25 km from my work. I'm not claiming to be perfect, but I am trying to create a balance in my life - convenience and efficiency balanced with health, economy, and environmentalism. In other words, I'm not a radical on either side of the spectrum, I just think that balance is important.

The vehicles that consume higher amounts of fuel have a greater impact on the environment. Is that not something that we can agree on? Admittedly, I haven't searched for scientific confirmation of such and I believe it to be common knowledge, but if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Okay, so without even factoring in the higher costs of gas, I still believe that most people shouldn't drive vehicles that consume fuel beyond what is necessary to meet their needs. The sad truth is that most people just don't care. In our society of consumption, over inflated senses of self-worth and self-righteousness, a common perception is that we should be able to do whatever we want because we have the freedom to choose. Well, we have the freedom to do tons of shit that we don't do because it's not right to do those things!

Let's take, for example, a health and fitness forum that I frequent. We'll call it "Steve Jones Health" for the sake of anonymity. Now, many people on SJH have vehicles. Many of those vehicles consume a lot of fuel. As such, many of those vehicles have a greater impact on the environment than other choices that would meet their needs fine. Now, another aspect of the SJH forums is that many people look down on other people who do not have the same health goals as they do. They talk of the obesity epidemic and how people who don't exercise are lazy and how disgusting what they eat is.

Let's get some perspective, people. If I see a huge f'in fatty pull up to the recycling depot eating a bag of chips in her Toyota Prius loaded with recycling, I have a lot more respect for that person than some model wannabe driving a big SUV to the dump loaded with cardboard. The SJH forum members would have a field day with the recycler, discussing how much damage she's doing to herself, how she's furthering the economic impact of the obesity epidemic by creating health problems that we all have to pay for through health premiums and what not. And I'm sure that some environmentalist forum would have a field with the guy at the dump, whereas some of the SJH members would probably say "nice biceps" or something equally inane.

Many of these drivers of said problematic vehicles make claims about how their comfort is important to them, or they're "real car people" and so driving some car that can go really fast or has some big loud engine is important to them. Well, you know what? I love Big Macs and convenience is important to me, but would they look down on me for going to McDonald's? Hell, yes. Would they have criticisms about the choices I make and how I'm hurting myself and talk about how I'm lazy for not changing my ways? You bet. LOOK IN A MIRROR AT YOUR OWN LIVES BEFORE YOU MAKE SELF-RIGHTEOUS CRITICISMS OF OTHER PEOPLE MERELY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CONFORM TO YOUR OWN PERSONAL MORES.

I also frequent a golf forum where a recent debate arose surrounding vehicle choices, gas prices, and environmental impact. Strangely enough (and I was actually surprised by this and I'm not making and political or nationalistic commentary, merely objectively repeating a discussion that happened on one isolated golf forum that is not representive of any countries as a whole), it was ONLY the Americans that justified driving SUVs as being "necessary" and "worth paying the extra money for gas for the comfort." Some Canadians (myself included) were spearheading the debate for vehicles under a certain milage rating should be charged exponentially higher registration and licensing fees for the privilege of driving them and making arguments for environmentalism in vehicle choices. A few other countries (European - UK, mostly) discussed how, when prices get high enough, you see whole continents shift towards smaller vehicles with smaller engines to save on "petrol". It was the closed-mindedness of how comfort for one over environmental damage that affects everyone that really cheesed me. I mean, seriously, does no one understand the concept of community anymore and making choices for the greater good?

Global warming is a much greater concern than the obesity epidemic because only one of those can be relatively easily reversed. Only one of those is really destroying everything for everyone. Something that many people may not consider, such as one forum participant who said "and besides, is global warming really a bad thing?", is the impact that our choices make. There is at least some evidence to suggest that the crazy weather we've been having over the past few years is symptomatic of global warming. Yes, folks. That's right. Our choices regarding environmentalism, personal comfort, and choices may be one of the substantial reasons for disasters such as Hurricane Katrina.

What do you think of that?

[/soapbox]

Now, as a postscript to this, I have to remind anyone reading it all that I am not perfect and I do not claim to be, but neither is our society and I am simply doing what I can within what I feel to be reasonable limits within that societal environment. I'm sure many would criticize me for not going far enough and that some other end say that if I'm not perfect, then who am I to criticize anyone else who makes their choices?

I'm not saying that anyone has to change or should change...I'm simply saying that I wish that more people really looked at the whole picture and made decisions based on that. We'd all be better off.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Wow, I just did a word count on that in Word. Almost 2000! I should have put that much energy into my paper, I'd be done!

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    We talking Nick Auger biceps or Ronnie Coleman biceps? :whistle:

Nice rant, counselor. I can't think of a constructive reply at the moment but did enjoy reading it, seeing myself in both the enlightened and the myopic camps.

M@

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hah, thanks M@, I just need to express myself every now and then :D

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, managed to get the gf out for a bike ride with me this morning - BEAUTIFUL morning, so it was an easy sell. Went hard on "Day 2" yesterday at the gym and increased some things a bit, which was nice.

Dropped the assisted pull ups from 140/130/130 to 130/130/120

One arm dumbbell rows went from 20/20/20 to 25/25/30

Seated leg press (knee saving replacement for hack squats) went from 215/235/235 to 235/255/275/295

Leg press calf raise went up from 125/125/125 to 135/135/135

Seated leg curls was on a different machine, so I can't compare (more on that below)

Standing barbell bicep curls added 3 reps to each set, time to up the weight next time (to 50 from 40)

Preacher curls...hard to judge, different machine so the weights felt way different.

Re the machine differences, I'm not sure I understand how this happens. Inconsistency like this is frustrating. The LifeFitness preacher curl, I'll do 40/40/50, but on the Atlantis, I can barely do 45/45/45 - or worse, on the seated leg curls CAMSTAR (I think?) machine I could barely do 100 or 110, whereas on the LifeFitness, I was doing 135 with relative ease. Stupid LF machine is broken though (I find it much more comfortable than the CAMSTAR machine). I wish they could all get together and get their shit sorted out.

Another short'ish rant of sorts...

I really understand the perspective of a lot of people that feel that making a huge lifestyle change in the effort of making a durable and effective physical transformation isn't worth the effort. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to fall off the wagon or quit or anything, but I can see why more people don't bother in the first place.

The amount of time it takes to see any "real" change and the amount of effort that is required to get that change to occur is beyond the capacity of most people, given the pressures of daily life. Also, the joy of living freely could easily outweigh slow-moving physical change for most people. Using myself as an example, yes, I've lost close to 25 or so pounds in the past two and a half months, but the noticeable change is relatively slight. Most people either haven't noticed or just don't care to comment (which means the change isn't noticeable enough to make it worth commenting). Yes, I'm proud to have lost that much fat (because it's been more or less all fat with relatively small amounts of muscle gain) but it'd be nice if I was even able to notice it more. It's noticeable to me because of the way the clothes fit and because I see the scale, but when I do the photo comparisons, some days, the change is barely noticeable at all.

In today's society of instant gratification and "fast solutions to every problem", it's hard to appreciate the amount of time it will take to achieve effective and durable change. I know that I won't be happy with my body for at least 6 more months (or more, probably), but it'd be nice to be "happier" with my body than I was two and a half months ago. I still look in the mirror and am significantly disappointed with what I see. Yes, I know this means that it'll just take more time and that I have to stick to it, but I'm not really talking about my own emotions, but rather about how I understand why more people don't do it.

If six months of strict nutrition, physical effort, and psychological boosting doesn't achieve satisfactory results, why would anyone want to go through all of that? All I know is that if I don't achieve some sort of contentedness in six months, I'll be questioning either just how bad I was and/or the effectiveness or value of making a change like this.

I don't want to get to that point and I don't want to let such things distract from my progress, so I will achieve my goals. Other people that have quit or fallen off the wagon, I sympathize with you because I appreciate how difficult it is to achieve these types of goals and the value of time for enjoyment over time spent on these goals.

Regardless, your failures will not stop me from succeeding, and then hopefully I can be a model for you to achieve what you have failed to achieve in the past by demonstrating the power of determination and the value of success and satsifaction.

So, to my fellow fatties I say: keep on hoping I can do it, because I just want what we all want. I now want and need it bad enough that the trials and tribulations of the journey are worth it to me and I understand why they may not be worth it to you. I'm on your side, even if no one else is.

10. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

A pretty good rant there mate!

Whilst I am aware that it is a work of fiction I found Crichton's "State Of Fear" interesting on the topic of global warming and extreme weather occurences.

It IS hard to make a rebuttal though, especially to 2000-some words!

11. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard about that book before sfc, I should probably read it. It might make me shut my trap :lol:

And admittedly, I made a point of making it clear that my opinions are just that...opinions

#71 Silver, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, I've ranted about most of what I have to rant about, so today's just a random workout post.

My body is getting TIRED. It's time for a break, I think. It's been about 9 weeks with this program and I think it's time to change things up. I'm making decent progress with some of the exercises and f' all for progress on some of the others.

From late February to numbers as of today, the progress has been as follows:

Day 1

Seated Chest Press: 75x15, 90x15, 90x15 -> 135x15, 135x15, 150x10
    Incline Flyes: 15x15 (3 times) -> 25x15, 25x15, 30x15
    Bench Pullover: 15x15, 15x15 -> 35x15, 35x20 (time to up that one to 40)
    Upright Row*: 30x15, 30x12, 30x12 -> 50x15, 50x15, 50x15
    Reverse Flyes: 30x12 (3 times) -> 60x15, 60x15, 75x12
    Seated Dips: 60x15, 75x15, 75x15 -> 135x15, 150x15, 165x15
    Kickbacks: 5x12 (3 times) -> 10x15 (3 times)

*yes, I know the upright row is a bad exercise, but didn't know it at the time and want to change it because I feel my shoulders twinge every now and then when doing it

Day 2

Assisted Pull Ups: 160x12 (3 times) -> 130x15, 130x15, 120x15
    One Arm DB Row: 15x15 (3 times) -> 25x15, 25x15, 30x15
    Hack Squats: 45(per side)x15 (3 times) -> Seated Leg Press (hurts my right knee less) 235x15 (shoulder width), 255x15 (wider), 275x15 (toes pointed out), 295x15 (shoulder width)
    Leg Press Calf Raises: 90x15 (3 times) -> 125x15 (3 times)
    Leg curls (on back with a swiss ball, pulling it in): 15 pulls 3 times -> Seated Leg Curls 120x15, 135x15, 135x15
    Standing Barbell Bicep Curls: 20x15 (3 times) -> 40x15, 40x15, 40x12
    Preacher curls (machine) -> 15x12 (3 times) -> 45x15 (3 times)

Generally some decent increases, but some lifts have just been shit. Also, some I don't particularly enjoy (upright rows, kickbacks, one arm DB rows, standing bicep curls).

I dunno, I know that I have no idea what the "mind-muscle connection" means and I know that it's time for change - maybe a 3 day split? Maybe another 2 day split?

Probably going to make a thread about this very issue right now. I'm going to see the personal trainer sometime soon so that he can help me design a new workout, but I'd like to go in with an educated idea of what and why I'd like to be doing certain things.

Oh yes, and golf season starts soon! YES! (exams finish sooooon)

13. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Have you tried seated dumbell curls?

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Can you curl your upper-lip like Billy Idol from the "Dancing With Myself" video?

MMC is training your brain to perform the task at hand with the specific muscle you're targeting, bringing as little stabilization as needed and recruiting the bare minimum of ancillary muscles to make the lift. If you do curls and your shoulders or back are tired, you should try dropping the weight and focusing on doing the lift with your biceps alone.

BB.com article on MMC.

Really makes a difference in your workout.

M@

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

interesting, thanks M@, I'll take a look and see if I can't get more into it.

I think that having started with the p/t off the bat helped get some of the tendencies to lift with anything other than the targeted area out of my mind...as soon as I realize I'm lifting with more than the intended area, I either drop the weight or finish my set

ice, i haven't, but they'll probably be next

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

So as I'm busting my ass to finish this last exam (a takehome), I decide to go to the grocery store to pick up some food.

Right beside the Safeway, there is, beckoning me. That giant "M" in the sky.

So I just had a Big Mac...

17. iceweaselsarecool

:lol: :lol: :lol: Rotten Ronnie's strikes again. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to shop when you're hungry?

Must be something in the air, I ate poorly today...

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Haha, the funny thing is that it fit fine into my calories, just threw off the ratios a bit (not even too badly).

I'm not ashamed of it, I'm not proud of it, I'm not going to let it affect anything about sticking to the diet for awhile, and I don't regret it.

Those things are f'in delicious. I should be good for another three months (that's how long since my last Big Mac).

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Assuming I passed everything (which might be a bit lofty given the way I felt after the Tax exam), I finished second year law school today.

One more to go after a summer of fun (and work).

Good times.

20. iceweaselsarecool

Hooray for another year down:bow: