1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

M@, my nose isn't huge or anything, but I have a very wide bridge, so I just think it will become a more dominant feature on my face. I'm okay with it, I'm not trying to pick up chicks anymore.

Yinzer, I don't really know how similar it is - Canadian tax law is pretty much federally regulated (the provinces snag some of our bucks as well, but the Income Tax Act is federal). As complicated as tax is in Canada, I'd guess it's less complicated than the American system. Good luck on your exams!

Shoeby, thanks! I'm working on it and things seem to be coming along :tu:

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, it's picture time - official "two month progress" shots. The first pictures in each part aren't dead on Feb 12 because I changed some of my picture taking technique, so they're within a couple of days, but you guys don't care, so anyhow, here it is:

Left to right - Feb 12, 06; March 12, 06, April 12, 06:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a couple of pictures with my abs flexed which actually look noticeably better than totally relaxed, but I haven't resized those and stuff, so for now, this is it.

Nice to see some real progress coming along.

Oh, and I lost two pounds last night apparently! Hah, I was 235 for about 4 or 5 days and then was 233 this morning. Cool, works for me.

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Dude, you're shrinking!:claphigh: Awesome progress. It also looks like you're standing up straighter now. Does your core feel stronger?

M@

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks man, it's nice to see it finally happening. Couldn't see much after one month, but after two, there is a lot more that's noticeable. Still a long way to go, though.

As for the posture thing - not really a stronger core as much as just making more of an effort to stand up straight. I've always had shitty posture, I'm just trying to make an effort to make it right.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol:

I just checked in Photoshop, I've lost about 11 or 12 pixels. :lol:

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Man, that dinner was too big. Healthy, but too big. That's okay, I needed the food, I've been underfeeding during exam season because I'm not really "on the go" very much and am mostly just loafing around the house (trying to make myself) studying.

It was delicious, though. I made the Cottage Cheese Pancakes from the Cottage Cheese Page but modified them a bit - first, made a half recipe. Second, I tossed in some chocolate whey, 1/4 cup of milk, and chunked up some low carb (but high fibre) chocolate made with something called X-W8. I then topped the first 4 with half a banana and a bit of vanilla yogurt and the second 4 got tossed on top of that with strawberries and strawberry yogurt with one pancake left for the top. Very good. 686 calories, though. Oh well. 13g of fat (6g SF), 82g Carbs (14g DF, 36g Sugars), 65g protein. Not bad for a split.

I'm happy that I'm doing relatively well in the April Morning Cardio Challenge. Yesterday, because it was pissing rain like crazy, I chose to just have a snack and then go to the gym rather than doing AM cardio because, at the gym, I burn about 500 cals at a relatively consistently elevated heart rate for over an hour...sounds like cardio to me. The guys in the challenge says it has to be fasted morning LISS to count, though...so I'm only at 10/14 days. That's not bad, though, because I was expecting to do worse. Just taking part in the challenge really seems to help.

I can't get focused on studying, I think I might try to suck back a Diet Rockstar to use the "enhanced mental alertness" to my advantage. Or something. I'll probably do this after I watch Chef at Large on Food Network Canada, though. Michael Smith rules. He has the enthusiasm and cheese of Rachael Ray, but he's not a fvckin idiot, so that plays in his favour. Plus, he's a giant. And he's a real chef. Good combo.

I'll try to bang out a good half hour of studying before it starts though, go me!

7. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Good work Silver. A really noticeable change in the two months. Most evident in the face as well. Are you finding that people (other than thos looking at your online photos) are commenting on your weight loss yet? You should be IMO.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks sfc. A few people have commented, but not many. I've been kinda isolated for the past two months for that very reason, actually. I want people who don't know what I'm doing to be shocked when they see me. Two people at school commented and then one or two people that see me semi-regularly have noticed as well.

The real shocker's going to be going back to school in September. I can't wait for the reactions then. I know it's vain and silly, but c'mon, look at me. I really have something to prove, here.

Another interesting one should be my 10 year reunion (if it happens) this June or July. I saw a bunch of people from high school in December when I was probably the biggest I've ever been. It'd be interesting to see what they think of what will probably be about a 40 pound drop, if they even notice, hah.

9. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is silly. I've been doing much the same thing. Most of my extended family I haven't seen since Christmas, but we've got a big bash coming up at the end of May which I am really looking forward to for that reason.

Oh and I will be seeing my ex after a 6 month gap at the end of May. That is a bit of a motivator as well. :neener: :whistle:

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: sfc, I love the ex part. I really think you should take a camera and get a shot of her face when she sees you.

I want my ex to see me (we're friends and hang out now and then) and drool a bit, that'd be satisfying because she started dating a total tool shortly after we broke up and everytime I think of how she got with him I get irked because as much as I know that she didn't break up with me for him, it was still a shot that she started dating someone who is a major loser (and she's told him that and has admitted it to me since). The guy looks like that ugly shitsack, Quentin Tarantino, almost a spitting god damn image. Plus he's a no ambition tool. It's totally a vengeance based emotion on my part because I no longer have anything vested in her, other than a periodic friendship (and the fact that she helped form me into the person I am today).

It's funny to me, because I'm now with a beautiful woman who is smart, successful in her industry (dance), talented, creative, loves me for who I am (even at my fattest) and supports me in what I want to do, as long as it's good for me. My ex was actually pretty similar in all of those categories as well, but there became an emotional disconnect and she felt she was better off without me. That breakup made me stronger emotionally, gave me ambition to be more successful, and funnily enough, made me a much better boyfriend :lol:. I even have better and healthier relationships with my family and friends since then. Friends really came through for me during the breakup time and I think I just matured into someone that understood and could appreciate my family better. Basically, if I was then who I am now, she would have never left me (although I can't say that I wouldn't have left her).

When I throw a hot body into that mix, it'll just be the final victory for me! I'm so petty about some things :lol: I suppose I should thank her for making me stronger, though.

Anyhow, enough with that little bit of verbal diarrhea. Onto a report on this weekend.

I dropped two more days in the cardio challenge, which both disappoints me but also shows me an air of realism. I didn't go yesterday because I just needed to spend the time studying instead of going to the gym. I did still go and do my weights in the afternoon, which was good. It was actually a pretty intense workout and I felt like I really worked hard and had a great workout, so I was happy with that.

Neither of us were feeling like cooking last night so I went to pick up take-out from a local eatery (White Spot, so good!). I also had to go to the grocery store to pick up the goods I needed to make her an Easter treat this morning. When I got to White Spot I asked the server if they had nutritional info for their food so that I could decide if anything was reasonable enough to eat while still maintaining my plan. I wasn't really expecting it, but she said yes and came back with a HUGE binder that had pretty much everything they serve in it. Cool! I went with my fave, beef dip, because the macros weren't bad (780 cals, 17g of fat if you skip the garlic butter and don't get the extra two ounces of beef, 90g carbs and 62g of protein) and would actually be pretty reasonable if only eating half of the sandwich at a time. It was well worth it and actually only put me about 120 cals over for the day - once again, something I'm more than able to live with.

I then went to Safeway and got the white chocolate and walnuts I'd need to make my gf a new treat - white chocolate brownies. She's allergic to chocolate but can eat white chocolate. I got up early this morning and whipped them up while she was still sleeping so she had a nice treat ready for her when she woke up. Normally I'd just go hunt around for a bunch of white chocolate things like Reese PB Cups and Kit Kats, but I thought this would be a bit more special, plus it didn't involve me running all over hell's half acre to find shit. The only problem with baking is that then I end up eating some of the batter, hah. Oh well :D

We then went to IHOP (International House of Pancakes) to have my "I lost 20 lbs so I'm going to eat like shit" celebratory meal (how's that for useless and backwards?). I got two of everything: pancakes, french toast, bacon, sausage, and egg substitute. It was something I'd been craving and I really felt like I deserved to give myself that treat. Topped breakfast off with a white chcolate brownie when I got home, too :lol:.

Dinner was a bit less of a destructo-zone, though. Had her mum's ham, some asparagus (cooked in olive oil and with swiss cheese), roast potatoes (absolutely soaked through with olive oil, hah), devilled eggs, some angelfood cake, Cool Whip, strawberries, and a chocolate PB thing. If it weren't for dessert, it would have only been a bit high in olive oil to be acceptable.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to the gym first thing in the morning for an hour of LISS and again in the afternoon for a "day 1" workout, though. Time to get back on track hardcore and still fit in all the studying I need to do for my exam on Tuesday (which turns out not to be Tax, but Federalism, so I was studying for the wrong exam for a bit :lol: )

Right back on track!

Wow, long-ass post!

11. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Good post!

What's with your avatar man? Is that meant to be some dude dry humping Phil Mickleson or what?

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's a shot from last year's (2005) Ford Championship at Doral when Phil lipped out on a chip (I think) when he was down to the wire against Tiger and the camera man got the perfect shot at the perfect moment of a marshall (I think that's a marshall) doing Phil up the bunghole

It's a classic in the golf world! :D

13. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Love it!

Only get to see the Majors on free-to-air TV down here. IMO the bang-for-your-buck with Pay TV makes it non-sensicle (Pay TV that is).

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Revenge is an incredibly primal emotion that stems from the very real (in the animal world) need to incapacitate something that has done you harm. You're living well and focusing on yourself. If that gives you a measure of satisfaction, so be it. It's certainly less petty than putting photos of her up on the 'net or egging her car. :lol:

I like the juxtaposition of talking about your ex with the story of what you did for your girlfriend. Every girl I know would get wistful at the prospect of a guy running around and making them white-chocolate brownies to wake up to on Sunday morning.

IHOP is my kryptonite. I get the Breakfast Sampler with the eggs over easy and turn the entire thing orange with Cholula hot sauce. *shudder* :drool:

M@

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

sfc, we get a LOT of golf broadcast here, it's great - they get even more in the US, I think, because they have some stations that also air the morning rounds (USA network or something like that...?)

M@, I've stopped ordering anything with runny yolks when dining out for food safety reasons. I doubt there's any reasoning to my logic, but have just heard a few horror stories and decided that I might as well just get scrambled for safety - or no eggs at all as I do't particularly love scrambled.

I didn't feel too good this morning after eating like shit all yesterday - lessons learned, I guess. Back on track this morning, already been to the gym (had to after shooting up to 236.5 after yesterday's debaucle!) for a 30 minute elliptical workout and will go back at about 2pm for a "day 1".

Missed my measurements this morning because gf had to leave early for competition, but that's okay because I felt all bloated and weird anyhow. We'll either do them later tonight or on Wednesday morning (not tomorrow because my Federalism exam is in the morning).

Oh yeah, M@, re the ex - the thing that makes my whole "revenge" theory really stupid is that she won't even care when she sees me. She'll just be happy for me that I'm healthy and happy, so it's really just silliness on my part. But that's fine, even if there's that slight twinge somewhere in the back of her mind, I'll be satisfied :lol:

16. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

OOOOH, Cholula. I love hot sauce.

Also, I agree with M@ that the best revenge is to live well.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

ick, I hate hot sauce...well, hot sauce hates me

seriously, spicy and I don't get along - I'm not talking about the runs or farts or anything like that...I just can't take it, it burns, it hurts and I'm a big pussy when it comes to all things spicy

spicy? spicey? I dunno...whatever

So I did my cardio this morning, came home and studied for a couple hours, watched Chef at Home (Michael Smith again) because he was making "steak for one" and used a nice sirloin, shitake (shitaki?) mushroom cream sauce, caramelized onions, and plain old steamed asparagus - don't particularly like onions or mushrooms, but the steak and asparagus looked delicious! My world was a bit shattered the other day when I found out that "his" house on the show is actually just a vacation house for rent in PEI and that he wasn't even born in Canada (although he's a real proponent of all things Canadian and Canadian cuisine and he is now Canadian, I believe, so that much I can deal with). The house thing kinda took a bit of the genuineness that I liked about him away. Too bad.

So anyhow, right after C@H, I went for my day 1 workout - chest, shoulders, tris. I upped weights in almost every workout, it was great! I think there's something to pigging out, having a huge excess of calories in your body, and then going to the gym, I was like a man possessed!

I threw an extra 15 lbs onto the 2nd set of the seated chest press that I hadn't been throwing on until the 3rd set before. I still used that higher weight for the 3rd set though.

I blew through my just upped (last time) bench pullover and was about ready to do an extra set but then an incline bench opened up so I went to do my incline flyes. I figured I wouldn't do as well with those as my chest was already tired from the previous two (I usually do them second) but maybe it was from being warmed up or energized, but my first set felt like a light weight warmup set (as opposed to being difficult, like usual), 2nd set and 3rd set were smooth (had upped those a few workouts ago) and I was feeling strong, so I decided to do a 4th set at an extra five lbs per side. Where I almost failed and nearly hurt myself at 25 lbs on the 2nd or 3rd set a few weeks ago, today I did a 4th set and upped it to 30 lbs and did 14 reps! (well, 13.5...couldn't quite finish the 14th and couldn't make it to my usual 15)

Then I was feeling pumped, so when I did my upright rows (which I'm only going to continue for the remainder of this routine - 2 more weeks - due to what I've read about rotator cuff damage over the long term) and the barbell I normally use (40 lbs) was being used, so I grabbed the 50 and did 3 full sets with an extra 10 lbs!

The reverse flyes and kickbacks still kicked my ass, but then I finished with seated dips and threw on an extra 15 for the final set of the day. Man, I felt good afterwards. It's going to give me a lot to live up to for my next "day 1" visit to the gym (which may get bumped from Thursday to Friday afternoon, depending on how f'd I am for my Tax exam on Friday morning).

Man, I feel good right now. Too bad I just have to isolate myself inside for the rest of the day to study. Blech.

18. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I'm tired. It just hit me, too, now that it's 5:30 PM and I want to go to bed. Great.

So anyhow...I got about 2 - 3 hours of sleep last night, woke up, studied a bit more, wrote my exam (no idea how I did, but it was hard), came home, did my fasted cardio (hadn't eaten in several hours) by going on a bike ride through a local park on the "perimeter trail" (about 4km of very variable terrain) - the ride including home and back took about 30 minutes, which seems like a lot, considering it was only about 6km total, but that park was in rough shape. The paths are large (more like single vehicle logging roads in size) but it had rained recently so there was a LOT of mud. In fact, I just came in from washing my bike because it was so dirty I wouldn't have been allowed to bring it back inside!

There are also way more (and bigger) hills than I ever thought there'd be. I know my neighbourhood is hilly, but wow! Anyhow, I'm tired now and WAY underfed, so I'm going to make me some tuna melts, I think. I'm not sure if I'll stay awake long enough to pull off a "Day 2" workout tonight (as per the plan) and might have to put it off to tomorrow. This isn't a big deal, though, as I can then take Thursday off from the gym and do Day 1 and 2 on Friday and Saturday (as opposed to Thursday/Sat like normal).

12/18 for the cardio challenge - not terrible, although rounding out last place, I'm still proud of it.

ZZZZZzzzzz

19. Jakemeister

Jakemeister Active Member

I bet you did quite well on your exam.

You seem to be making great progress and I'm sure you'll have little trouble reaching your goals.

Keep up the good work.

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Jake, I'm expecting to have scored somewhere between 68 and 76. At my law school, anything over 74 is good, anything over 80 is *excellent*. I know I didn't get over 80. We'll see.

So, I fell asleep - feel better now, that's for sure. Back to the books, on to Tax.