1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Good read Silver. How did we ever get so fat? LOL. Seriously you seem to have had some level of fitness a few years ago. I guess a lot of us did. What you're doing for yourself is very admirable. Keep up the good work and you'll do great in the BF Challenge. Looking forward to keeping up with you.

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the comment leftyx, I'm doing what I can.

I was never *that* fit, but I did used to ref/play soccer, ride my bike a lot, even played a bit of hockey at one stage. Even with as fat as I am right now, just from the working out for the past month or two, I'm probably in better shape than I've generally been in a long, long time. I know that I'm stronger now, although my running is still poopy, heh.

All in due time, all in due time.

As for an update - missed my damn cardio again this morning - no good excuse today. I slept like hell last night (I have a habit of waking up extremely sweaty on occasion - no idea why, but just drenched - and that happened again so I had to change the sheets at 3:20am). I had a hard time getting back to sleep so probably only got a total of about 4 hours last night at best. I don't function well on four hours, plus I've been VERY hungry today as a result. This makes me unhappy, heh. Was even tempted to stop at Rotten Ronnie's for a Big Mac (they're cheap on Tuesdays here) because of the smell, but I resisted and have come home to make a low fat tuna melt instead. Good stuff in that tuna.

I almost slept through getting up to go to work this morning too, I had my alarm set for 6:45, which would have allowed me time for a half hour jog/walk this morning, but I woke up by fluke at 7:22 and had to get my ass in gear to be able to make it to work on time. This was unfortunate. Oh well, I'll just go hard at the gym tonight with my "Day 2" workout and will kick some ass. It's all I can do.

Oh yeah, and my Nitrean (and Opticen sample, thanks Chris!) just arrived, so I'm going to have a tasty shake to see if it lives up to the hype. Yummy.

3. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Yeah I have night sweats sometimes too, no clue why.

Rotten Ronnie's:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I had to fight off a nutty buddy craving today. It got easier when I saw 310 Cal on the back of the box. Holy cow man, when I think about the number of those I snarfed down in the past, never thinking about what I was doing to my body, it appalls me.

I am so going to own you in the bf challenge.(In the spirit of friendly competition/motivation of course.):gl:

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

As a great mind once said:

"Eat my shorts, man!"

I dunno where that came from...

So anyhow...last night was a bit of a bust, had a big shaboo at a law firm downtown for a mock negotiation where the lawyers were our clients. They took us out for a bite and some drinks afterwards, but unfortunately, they did the ordering. SOOOooo, I ate nachos, wings, and some weird fish type of appetizers. Tasty enough, but not part of the plan. I just forgot about the disappointment of going unintentionally off track (as opposed to cheat meals, etc) and have just decided to be back at it today. I mean, I'm a pretty rational guy, so eating like crap for one meal isn't going to ruin me or knock me off target. It was a relatively unavoidable occurrence and I can deal with that.

Mind you, I got home late enough that I was exhausted, plus having had pretty crappy sleeps for the past several nights for a variety of reasons, I slept in a bit this morning which meant that I missed morning cardio. Once again, I can deal with this, and will just be back at it tomorrow. I was still down a pound (strangely, I often lose about half a pound or a whole pound by taking a shower, lol - I weigh, shower, weigh and it will fluctuate - and no, I'm not that dirty).

I'm ONE POUND OFF MY SHORT TERM GOAL OF 20 POUNDS IN TWO MONTHS. The best part is, I still have six days left in those two months. I started tracking on Feb 12 and weighed 255 and was at 236 this morning. Works for me.

I think I'll have to think about my next short term goal - probably getting to sub 20% BF within the next two months. This will be easier than before because I'll have more time to devote to fitness/nutrition when school is done.

I have a small dilemna coming up, as well. There's a big suit sale coming up and I need suits for work. However, I don't really know what size I should be buying. I'll probably stick with the same chest size as I was before I got fat (42 or 44, can't remember) and see how much I can get the pants tailored down. We'll see what kind of selection they have and I'll make my choices from there, I guess.

Well, time to head out to the gym for a good "day 1" routine.

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I have this song running through my head right now

Why? Because I feel freaking invincible. In 8 weeks less a day, I've lost 20 lbs. This is admittedly a bit quick, but I attribute much of it to "Beginner's Losses". In about 10 weeks, I've actually lost closer to about 25 lbs, but I don't really have accurate numbers from anything before Sunday, February 12, 2006. Being that today is Saturday, April 8, 2006, I'm pretty thrilled with the progress.

I don't feel that I've been "losing too fast" or anything like that because I've been keeping careful track of my nutrition and have done a good job of meeting my nutrition requirements.

I guess, from the above post, I'll go with shredding off another 6% of body fat in the next two months. I think it's totally do-able and will put me in a good position from early June of being sub-20% (somewhere around 25-26% right now).

Nobody's gonna stop me now. Not even stupid law exams that I have coming up that I just don't wanna study for. Yech.

Time to watch The Masters!

#25 Silver, Apr 8, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    You're the man! You are invincible! Damn, son! That is great progress and I'm inspired to hear about your success. Sweet! :bow:

I don't think you're losing too fast at all. You're almost dead-on 1% per week. If anything, you're hitting the absolute sweet-spot for fat loss. Since you're monitoring your bodyfat % you'll be able to tell if any of that's coming from lean mass.

What did you think of the Nitrean and Opticen samples? I'm almost done with my tub of Vanilla Nitrean and am eager to try the chocolate that everybody's raving about.

M@

7. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks M@, all the positive energy around here from you and others really makes it a lot easier.

Haven't tried the Opticen yet, but as for the Nitrean...mixed opinions. The Vanilla's good in water, I think. I tried it in milk last night and found it didn't mix as well or taste as good.

I'm not sure if my tub of chocolate may have been a bad batch, but I don't like it. I think it smells/tastes like spoiled milk. I give full kudos to Chris because when I communicated this with him, he began an investigation into whether the batch has problems (or if it's just my tastebuds). It might just be that I, personally, don't like it. The consensus is that people love it, I just don't happen to be one of those.

The vanilla is yummy, though. I couldn't drink my old vanilla from Webber Naturals in water on its own, but enjoyed it in smoothies. The Webber Naturals chocolate was more or less like drinking chocolate milk when mixed with milk and was even drinkable relatively easily in water (although that takes getting used to, I find). I keep opening up the chocolate Nitrean to see if I can get past the smell and I just can't. I've tried it twice, once just in milk and once with PB, water, ice, cocoa, and Splenda (in an attempt to cover up the spoiled milk taste) and that didn't do it either.

I'm sure that my tastebuds are off, though, because everyone else loves the chocolate. I guess I'll just deal with it.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

A relatively uninteresting and uninspiring weekend. I just stuck to doing what I've been doing, and that's all well and good. I'm taking part in the April morning cardio challenge, and that has been my motivation to actually go and DO morning cardio, although I REALLY REALLY wish I had an elliptical at home. I don't really like going to the gym twice a day because I feel like it's a bit of a hassle and there are at least 2-4 days a week where I'll be doing cardio twice.

I know that I can do cardio in other forms, but c'mon, I live in Vancouver, also known as Raincouver (for you Yanks, think of Seattle's weather reputation). I'd say 4 of the past 10 days have been suitable for outdoor morning cardio. Turns out that today started to brighten up while I was in the gym, but I didn't necessarily feel like finding out the hard way if it was going to start raining again. I might just start walking/running in the mornings in the rain, regardless, and then take my bike out on nicer days (I love cycling and just picked my bike up from the shop after a two year layoff). It'll probably be better than resenting going down to the gym for the cardio. Also, I have this strange notion in my head that there's something "better" about "real-world" cardio than the controlled environment of the gym - kinda like free weights vs. machines. I think I build up stronger muscles and get more out of if I go and walk/run around my hilly neighbourhood than walking on the perfectly flat treadmill. I tend to walk the uphills and jog the flats and downhills.

We "celebrated" my having lost 20 lbs by going to Dairy Queen, of all places, last night. I had a Triple Chocolate Utopia because I figured I'd earned a big dessert. It's not even that big and it has 770 calories! That's NUTS! 39g Fat, 96g Carbs (76 from sugars :lol:) and 12g protein. The funny thing was that, because I had got such a late start on my day yesterday, I still only ended up going over by 70 calories - although I did mess up my PCF ratio from 40/40/20 to 44/26/30. That's something I can live with.

One of the things that I enjoy about this whole thing is that it doesn't upset me that much if I kinda screw up a little bit here and there because I know how easy it is to stay on track and so it won't be even remotely hard to get back to it once that time comes (today). I did some morning cardio (at 11am! :lol: ) and came home and had a nice healthy version of an egg mcmuffin (whole wheat english muffin@ 140 cals, 2g fat (1g sat fat), 27g carbs (4 fibre and 3 sugars) and 7 protein, 1/4 cup of egg beaters, 1 slice of "light" kraft singles (I know it's terrible but I love processed cheese :lol: ) and 1 slice of back bacon). It's yummy, one of my favourite breakfasts, delicious, satisfying, almost tastes like a cheat, and still pretty close to good for me! Yesterday I had two!

Today's a "day 1" for my workout and hopefully I'll increase some of my weights - particularly on the chest press. I talked to my trainer today briefly about what I can replace the hack squats with because I figured out that it is totally those that are hurting my right knee so tomorrow when I do "day 2", I'll give leg presses a try and see how those work instead.

Onward and upward.

9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice work getting your cardio in despite not wanting to. I totally sympathize with not wanting to go to the gym twice a day. I'm going to have to deal with that on SGX and it'll definetly be the hardest thing to adapt to. I think my favorite workouts are the ones I just really, really don't want to do, but make myself do anyway. It's like sticking it to that weak part of me that caused this mess in the first place. Very satisfying. :D

I went to Whistler in January 2003. It rained the entire time we were there. Fortunately the cloudlayer was only halfway up the mountain so we still got awesome riding in every day. Beautiful area. I can't wait to go back.

How does a guy with all these pictures in his journal not have an Avatar yet? I keep seeing your posts and miss that they're yours because there's no graphic to associate with you. :p

M@

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

There ya go, Phil getting shafted last year at Doral.

I don't know what it is about Phil, but I just don't like him...and I kinda think I should send him an email directing him to this site, although considering what he just won, I doubt he'd care too much about his fitness as it seems to be working for him :lol:

I've never been that avatar crazy, I guess. Some forums I use them, some I don't bother. Depends how I'm feeling on any given day, it seems.

Whistler's alright - a bit overrated in my opinion. This is probably because I'm not a big boarder/skier as we couldn't really afford it when I was growing up and when I tried to start a couple of years ago, I was shit.

As for going to the gym twice a day, it's really just that a trip to the gym for a half hour of cardio means at least an hour overall (10 there, 5 to get ready, 5 to change, 10 back). That's annoying. I think I'm going to start kicking the rain's ass, too. Unless it's cold. Then I'll buck up for an elliptical, maybe.

One of the interesting things that I've noticed since doing all this is that it kinda makes me want to be better in almost ALL ways (except school, but that's a different story). Like, I'm better with recycling (although I was always pretty good), I'm nicer to people, I try harder at work, I try to improve everything, it seems. I think that's what bugged me so much about that one thread awhile ago where a bit of an argument about moral superiority over being in shape arose. Seriously, I wonder how many of the people that are all hot to trot about being in shape can really take the position that they've reached the ultimate lifestyle. Do they have the best job they could have? Do they have the highest education that they can reach? Did they have the best marks in school? Do they treat all people with the respect they deserve as human beings? Do they do everything in life to the utmost of their abilities and truly achieve everything they can? If not, I don't see how they have any right to come down on people who aren't in shape but may have other strengths. Everyone's got their niche and some people have more than one.

For example, I'm not a particularly good student. I'm pretty smart (proved that to myself last term when I actually put a good effort in), but I hate studying. I don't like going through the effort of learning useless shit that will have no bearing on my life later. I already know a good amount of what I'm going to need to know to be a lawyer in the field that I'll most likely work in. This means that I also know that most of what I learn from here on in is a big waste of my time. Yet, this shouldn't mean that I shouldn't do my best while I'm there. But I don't...because I'd rather do things that interest me - like make wine, exercise, learn about fitness and wine, golf, watch good tv shows that have intrinsic value (read: aren't useless, mindless garbage), watch good movies, read good books, ANYTHING BUT READ ABOUT GOD DAMNED FEDERALISM! As such, I don't think that there's a lot that I can criticize people about because I know that I do not do my best all the time, particularly at school (and several other things, because when it comes down to it, I'm f'in lazy).

I dunno, just something that irks me a little...

11. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Okay...woops!

3 cheats in less than a week - one unintentional cheat last week with the lawyers, one intentional last night at DQ, and one tonight at freaking Tim Horton's! I've been watching a lot of the Food Network and Tim Horton's has apparently been sponsoring some of their stuff, and there have been TONS of ads for the new caramel doughnuts that TH's has. I was resting comfortably in the knowledge that my saving grace was that I was nowhere near a TH, despite my massive cravings and desire to try one of these.

Then, my gf called and asked me to bring something down to her at the studio - RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM A TH!

Sooooo, I had a Caramel Apple Fritter and man, was it gooooooood. Well worth it, if you ask me. It's really satisfied part of that craving. Next week, I'll try the Caramel Chocolate Filled. Yum.

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweeeeet!

"I don't know why more guys on tour don't like Lefty. I mean, you know, he's got that sincere smile and wave and all. :rolleyes: " - Steve Elkington

My biggest argument to the gym 2x per day isn't the travel or anything, since it's right across the street from my office. It's the laundry. I'm doing four loads a week as it is, two-a-days'll bring it up to at least five, possibly six. Bleh.

M@

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Oh, I know, I dislike having to do that many loads. I don't have a huge washing machine, so I can't wait too long. Also, my sweaty clothes end up being infused with stink if I wait too long. Not cool!

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I forgot to reply to this earlier.

It's totally obvious. And watching Phil and Freddie get along so well on Sunday sorta made me lose some of my love for Freddie. I mean, if he and Phil are good friends, how good of a guy can Freddie be? Really, Freddie kinda looks like a dick (based purely on appearance and interpreting his demeanour and seeing his Playing Lessons from the Pros episode), so it's not that big of a surprise.

Damn overly wealthy golfers.

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

My Ass Is Gonna Hurt Tomorrow

I put a title on this post because, well, my ass is gonna hurt tomorrow.

I pulled my bike out for the first time in a couple of years and went for a relatively short and relatively quick ride (about 3 miles in about 15 minutes) in a relatively hilly neighbourhood that saw my heart take on HIIT style levels of exertion. I love cycling, so as soon as the weather smartens up, I'll be good to go.

This happens to me every time I start cycling again, though. My ass gets SORE. It takes a good 2+ hours on the bike in gradually lenghtening intervals before this goes away, I think. It's just the nature of having a saddle rammed up your piehole, I guess.

Stay tuned for "April 12 - Completion of Month 2" pictures later tonight. I've already got Photoshop set up with some of the earlier photos for a quick and ready comparison. Good to go.

(I take my pics at about 11:30pm every night - shortly before bed - hence the delay)

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Pictures are still two hours away, but a couple of things came to mind:

1. I hate cravings - I have been craving a whopper from BK like nobody's business. I won't do that to myself (probably not even on a cheat day!), but it's hard. I tried to make up for it by whipping myself up a lean ground beef hamburger patty that I have leftover in my freezer. The freaking things have 17g of fat each! It put me 5 over on my fat content and that was before even being able to add cheese, so I said forget it and just had some yogurt instead.

2. I haven't felt like cooking all day. I'm addicted to the Food Network and have been watching cooking like crazy, but I couldn't actually make myself DO anything. This is annoying because I'm getting kinda hungry and putting off eating because I don't feel like making anything. I should just make some freaking food and be done with it.

3. I tried the chocolate Opticen earlier. I had 1.5 scoops (a half serving) with 1 cup (8 fl. oz) of milk. It was good - a billion times better than the chocolate Nitrean. It was a bit too sweet though - I think it could use some more milk to dilute the sweetness a bit. This further convinces me there must be something wrong with my Nitrean. I'll email Chris tonight to see if I can send it back because I sure as hell can't use it. I used milk because I love chocolate milk and however I can come close to replicating it in a mildly healthy fashion, I'll be doing it.

4. Why can't I study? I have my Tax Law exam in 5 days. Hello, McFly!

5. One of the things I'm worried about regarding losing weight is that it will make my nose look disproportionately large if my face gets too much smaller.

6. I really want a food processor (need to read some reviews and compare brands) to avoid shit like this:
    [​IMG]

7. I found a picture of my bike. I took it before I even had a chance to ride it, so it's all pristine and pretty. Now it's kinda dirty, a bit scratched up, but still in good shape. This was probably about 4 and a half years ago (and I don't think I ever rode it with th seat that high, that's a bit too high for me):

[​IMG]

8. A pic from my old apartment - I never should have left this place. As good of a deal as we get where we live now, I was much happier in the actual living space there than I am here. The view was also uplifting - beautiful sunsets, gorgeous early mornings, everything was great.

[​IMG]

Just some things that occurred to me today as things I'd rather talk about than study tax.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, I decided not to take my pictures until tomorrow morning. I just drank a HUGE shake in an effort to make up my missing calories and am hugely bloated and probably look worse than my first pictures.

Update tomorrow morning.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Sweet lookin' bike and the first thing I thought was "God, my shoulders would be crying in two miles if I rode with the seat that high!" Also a fantastic view from your old apartment. I found Vancouver pretty breathtaking overall.

Your nose doesn't look out of proportion in any of the photos you've put up.

From one procrastinator to another: I salute your ability to avoid studying Tax Law. Now get some caffiene or something and hit the @#$* books. :p

M@

19. Yinzer00

Yinzer00 Well-Known Member

My Tax Law exam is in a little over 2 weeks. As if the subject material weren't bad enough, my professor is notorious for creating impossible exams on material that we didn't even cover in class. Is Canadian Tax law pretty similar to the U.S.? I've got to hit the gym and get back to studying too, good luck!:tu: :read:

20. Shoeby

Shoeby Active Member

Oh my god, your poor mixer.:lol: :lol:

Great read Silver, You're making wonderful progress.