1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Don't want to be a fat lawyer begging for a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Silver, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, I have 2nd year law exams coming up in about 3 weeks and two papers to write, so why not write about something completely unrelated? Good idea!

I'll start with a brief (photo) history of me, how I got to where I am, why I decided to change, what I've been doing to date, and where I plan on ending up. So, here goes:

I was always a chubby kid, never fat, but always chubby. I'm much bigger than the rest of my family (6' compared to 5'8 for dad, 5'7 for bro, 5'6 for mum) and I've always loved terrible food (cakes, doughnuts, pastries, fast food - McD's is good shit!). I probably should have played some contact sports because I have the build for it but was too busy nerding out and generally disliking the violence that came along with high school rugby.

When I moved away from home (Okanagan Valley) to Vancouver for school at 19 (almost 9 years ago), I was probably about 220 lbs. I wasn't fat, but I wasn't slim, as the picture below illustrates:

[​IMG]

Moving away from home turned out to be great for weight loss (read: I had no job and couldn't afford anything more than soup and homemade bread for several months) and by the time I went home 4 months later, I'd lost almost 35 lbs due to total malnutrition. I eventually began eating again when I could afford to and gradually worked my way through being "leaner" but still not in shape by any stretch (exercise has never been big on my agenda).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I ended up getting comfortable in a long term relationship and eventually gained a lot of weight back (somewhere back up to around 220 lbs):

[​IMG]

I was never that unhappy with myself at that stage, but was never satisfied and always knew that under the clothes, my body was soft, flabby, and lacking in attractiveness.

When that relationship ended after 4 years (just over 4 years ago now), I lost a lot of weight because I couldn't eat (pathetic, surely, but vomiting from eating was worse).

[​IMG]

I then met my current girlfriend (about 4 years ago) and once again got comfortable. Things started out okay:

[​IMG]

But when combining comfort with completing my BA, getting a sedentary job at a law firm for a couple of years, and eating like shit, I ended up my worst by Christmas of 2005 (hint: I'm the fat one on the right):

[​IMG]

I saw those pictures and thought "holy hell, what the hell has happened to me??" I then realized that while they were partially just bad pictures, I was still over 250 lbs, probably closer to 260. I decided to work out a bit and start using the gym membership I'd bought two years prior. I asked around on another forum about getting into shape and someone suggested coming here to check out John's transformation and to read the forums. I looked and John and realized quickly that that level of success wouldn't be possible for me because I wasn't willing to change my eating sufficiently and simply don't have the time in law school to devote to that amount of gym time. Talk about a recipe for failure...an attitude like that.

I went to the gym a few times and was just doing cardio, but was going pretty hard. Too hard for my level of fitness, that's for sure. My heart rate was getting really high and I was kinda worried (like, it was higher than max for a 27 year old). I decided to go to the doctor and get a physical, rather than just giving up. This was about where I was at:

[​IMG]

This was the beginning of what I whole-heartedly believe will be my transformation (follow up posts coming shortly).

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

So the doctor looked at my weight on his scale and said "Mike, I'm glad you're here." This was January 25, 2006.

I was fully dressed and had recently eaten a big lunch and the scale said 263 lbs. I'm estimating this out to be closer to 256-257 (about 4 lbs for clothes and a few lbs for the food from the day).

My blood pressure was okay (120/80). He was concerned about my heart rate and wanted me to go for an exercise stress test prior to going whole hog at the gym. He sent me for bloodwork for cholesterol. My numbers were a cause for concern for him:

Total: 5.08 (about 196.6 for the USA folk) - high for a 27 year old
    LDL: 2.88 (111.5 US)
    HDL: 0.80 (31 US)
    Triglycerides: 3.07 (118.8)

He wasn't worried I'd drop dead right there, but figured it was time to get things on track before it was too late, so he sent me to a nutritionist (who I finally saw last Thursday, I'll copy that post into here later).

On February 12, 2006, I decided to start really going hard with all of this - diet, measurement, and exercise tracking. I use Adi's spreadsheet (for which I'm SO grateful). At that time I was about 255 and approximately 32% body fat:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Since that time, I got the okay from my doc in late Feb to actually work out (but just keep the heart rate in check) and have started a weight training program that was designed for me by a personal trainer at the gym a year or so ago. I've also tried to keep up on morning LISS, but can rarely motivate myself to get out of bed to go down to the gym at that time of day before school or work. I've kept strict track of my food to date on about a 2000 calorie/day diet with a 40/40/20 split for most of it. I've since upped that to closer to 2200.

By the end of February I was at 245.5 lbs and 28.8% body fat:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Tanita scale at the gym gave me a number of 246.6 lbs at 30% body fat on Februar 24, 2006.

I've kept up with it through all of March, have seen the dietician and have had a few cheat days, but generally have been pretty strict. I've been working out 4 days a week and doing cardio at least twice.

One month after I started (so March 12, 2006), I was 242 lbs at about 27% body fat:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I feel like a bit of a tit showing all of these pictures, but whatever, I'll get over it.

At my last weigh in (this morning) I was 240.5 (although I was 239.5 yesterday) at about 26.5% body fat (measurements suggested 25.5 last week, but I guess there was a mismeasurement somewhere). The Tanita scale at the gym this morning gave measurements almost identical to that.

I've seen my trainer twice now to make sure I was doing my 2 day split exercises properly in order to prevent myself from sabotaging my progress by incorrectly performing my exercises. Things seem to be going okay and I'm happy with my progress so far (nearly 20 lbs in two months is alright by me).

More pictures will be forthcoming on March 31, 2006 as well as a semi-regular update.

#2 Silver, Mar 30, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  3. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Way to go!

Nice work on those losses:claplow: Keep it up. I hope your early success is motivating for you, because it DEFINITELY is for me. I started 3 weeks ago, and finished easing into my routine this week. It's nice to see that it's possible to see great gains early! Kudos for making the commitment to better fitness:tucool:

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Takes a strong ego, dedication to yourself, and a healthy dose of balls to put all these pics up. Isn't there a cliche' about showing up in public in your underwear? You're showing awesome one month progress (I notice it most in your chin/neck) and I think you're gonna be thrilled with the 8-week photos. :tucool:

Great job, Silver. :tucool: I consider this post getting in on the ground-floor of one of JSF's next great success-stories. :p :lol:

M@

5. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

"Werd to my bruthas"

(Assuming I know what that means)

Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. My favourite part is the racing stripes shaved into my chest (see end of Feb) from the exercise stress test. Hot stuff right there. My other favourite part is the fat protrusion on my left hip (most noticeable in the "back" shots) from where I had a HUGE bruise in the summer of 2003 when I was in Austria and fell on a rock while walking down by some creek in the Alps. The bruise extended from my waist almost down to my knee on my outer left leg. It was pretty sexy. Had an ultrasound on it about two months ago, appears to just be fat. Gonna be fun figuring out how to lose that.

I may not leave these up, but I may, I haven't decided yet. We'll see how I feel in the long run.

More interesting stuff to come! (such as weighing in at 239 this morning! YES!)

6. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, you don't want to be a fat lawyer :) and I do the same thing, posting here instead of my work...which I am doing right now,,,:o

But your progress is great!...and you are off to a great start. It's good to get these habits ingrained when you are young....

7. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    For God's sake... please tell me he's not going to post pictures of himself cooking and eating that kitten...

Sorry... that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this pic... must have been the gasoline and the bucket and the lead pipe.

Welcome Mike... good luck with your exams and your transformation. We're here to help.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: I had a feeling that was coming.

No, no, no. My mum lives out on acreage and they have a big warehouse on their property in which they run a couple of businesses and rent out some of the space to some garage door guys so there's always junk lying around out there. Looks worse than it is, for sure.

Although, they haven't seen thta kitty in some time...

:whistle:

9. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Thanks Justitia, I know way too many fat lawyers for me to want to join their ranks. I plan on being one of the rarities that actually lost weight in law school (seeing as how I'm already pretty much down to where I was when I started by having lost close to 20 lbs).

Now I'm at work (part time job at a law firm), so I should probably get to it. Bad habits die hard...especially posting when I should be working and/or paying attention in class and/or studying. :doh:

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, so how things have shaped up so far over the last two months:

First set of measurements taken was on Feb 20, 06:

Waist - 48.5
    Hips - 45
    Forearm - 12
    Wrist - 8
    Thigh - 29
    Calf - 19
    Chest 46

Last set (and currently done ever Monday) was on March 27:

Waist - 45
    Hips - 45.5 (I think I got the first one wrong because then my gf started doing it for me and came out with the next one at 47.25)
    Forearm - 12
    Wrist - 7.5
    Arm Flexed - 14.75
    Thigh - 29
    Calf - 18
    Chest - 45

I love - just LOVE - that my thigh measures as far around as several people's waists. It kinda cracks me up.

Other relative successes have been varied gains in lifting since I started near late Feb. I do a two day split four times a week (twice for each 'day'). The early numbers were something like:

Day 1
    Seated Chest Press (machine): 60x15, 75x15, 90x15
    Incline Flyes (dumbbells): 15x12, 15x15, 15x15
    Bench Pullover (dumbbell): 15x12, 15x12
    Upright Row (barbell): 20x15, 30x12, 30x12
    Reverse Flyes (machine): 30x12, 30x12, 30x12
    Seated Tri Dips (machine): 60x12, 75x12, 75x12
    Kickbacks (dumbbells): 5x12, 5x12, 5x10

Day 2
    Assisted Pull Ups (machine): 160 (max)x12, 160x12, 160x12
    One Arm Dumbbell Row: 15x15, 20x15, 20x15
    Hack Squats (sled): 45x15, 55x15, 55x15 (that's 45/55 per side)
    Leg Press Calf Raise (sled): 90x15, 90x15, 90x15
    Leg curls (on back with ball under feet pulling ball in): 15 pulls x3
    Standing Bicep curls (barbell): 30x15, 30x15, 30x12
    Preacher curls (machine): 7.5x12, 15x12, 7.5x12

Abs were done periodically, mostly supermans (3x15s), Crunches (on ball) 3x15, and Oblique crunches on ball 3x15

Now I'm doing:

Day 1
    Seated chest press: 105x15, 120x15, 120x15
    Incline Flyes: 20x15, 20x15, 25x10
    Pullovers: 30x15, 30x15
    Upright Row: 30x15, 40x15, 40x15
    Reverse Flyes: 60x15, 60x15, 75x12
    Seated Dips: 105x15, 120x15, 135x12
    Kickbacks: 8 (or 10, depending)x15, 8x15, 10x10

Day2:
    Assisted Pull Ups: 150x15, 140x15, 140x15 (lower number means less assistance)
    One Arm Dumbbell Row: 20x15, 20x15, 20x15 (this is hard for me for some reason)
    Hack Squats: 70x15, 70x15, 70x15 (now doing shouldter width, wider, then wider with toes pointed out to get the groin)
    Leg Press Calf Raise: 115x15, 115x15, 115x15
    Seated Leg Curls (instead of ball leg curls): 120x15, 120x15, 120x15
    Standing Bicep Curls: 40x12, 40x12, 40x12
    Preacher Curls: 30x15, 40x15, 30x15 (or maybe 40 if I'm feeling good)

I've been happy with my successes in that regard. My cardio efforts haven't been fantastic because I just can't bring myself to get out of bed earlier enough to go - MUST GET AN ELLIPTICAL FOR HOME! (or start riding bike/running in the mornings).

My eating's been alright, I'll post about that later because I really should go eat sometime soon anyhow - I'm thinking today's a good day for a tuna melt - tuna on Silver Hills Squirrelly Bread with some low fat cheese in the toaster oven - oh so delicious! And then I'll hit the gym for a "Day 1" workout at about 9pm PST (about 6:15 right now). I can't wait to see how my body holds up after being tortured by a trainer yesterday!

Good times!

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Believe me you're not the only ones.

12. Yinzer00

Yinzer00 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I've got second year exams in about a month also. I was keeping track of my nutrition pretty well for a few weeks, but strayed these past few days. Seeing your journal really jerked me back. I'm about 6' 255 lbs. I actually just had a stress test two days ago. We are way too young for this shit. It looks like you're making great progress!

Also, it seems that girlfriends have been hell on your health. I can definitely relate to that too.

13. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Wow Yinzer, sounds like you're in exactly the same place I was about 7 weeks ago (when I started tracking) - I was 255 as well on that day. We're totally too young for it and that's why we're fixing it - because we can and we will.

I can't blame the gf's per se, it's really more that I figure I have no one to impress anymore because they love me for who I am and so it's easy to let go. Then again, I'm not even really letting go because I wasn't doing anything special before. My current gf is a dance teacher and we've been living together for about 2.5 years and she's not going anywhere, so I'd like to kick things up a notch for the sake of both of our health. It's time to pull it together.

Also, a bit of an update on last night's workout - wow, it was a goodie. I tried to go for as much as I could and I almost overdid it and hurt myself on the incline flyes. I had picked up the 25s for my 3rd set, but I guess by then, I was tired (now that I'm using the proper technique, that shit's hard) and after about the 5th rep on the downward motion, my right arm almost gave out and I could have pulled something bad. I did pull it a little, but not even enough for it to hurt today, but enough to teach me to be more careful.

Won't be working out today because it's my friend's birthday so I'm going over there to eat carrots while they eat cake, hah. I'm making too good of progress to ruin it with things like cake. Weighed in at 238 today (which is great because over the past nearly 3 weeks, I'd kinda stalled at about 241 but it's all catching up now).

Things are good.

14. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, time for some "end of the month" pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

At my friend's last night, I was strangely "unenvious" (is that a word?) of everyone else eating ice cream cake. I probably should have had a piece though, I ended up some 354 cals short for the day, but that's alright - I'm surviving. Wasn't hungry until this morning and then I was REALLY hungry, but I decided to start taking part in the April Morning Cardio Challenge, so I loafed for a bit and then went to the gym for a half hour on the elliptical. Worked for me, came home and had some healthy waffles (Van's) and a protein shake (about an hour and a half after I finished the cardio, that is). The best part about the protein powders nowadays is that, with milk, it actually TASTES like chocolate milk.

To me...that can't be beat.

15. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I thought I might talk a little about my goals.

This is tough, because they aren't very specific. I do have some goals, but for the most part, it's just health.

One of my big goals is to do the Sun Run in April 2007 (www.sunrun.com). It's a 10K run through Vancouver that has somewhere close to 50,000 participants. I don't just want to do it, but I want to do well in it. I want to be in the second category at the least, which is the 44 - 58 minute category. I haven't really focused too much on running in my training so far because my right knee's been acting up and it's driving me crazy. I *want* to run, but my knee just seems to hurt when I do. I've never had knee pain before, so I'm not sure if I should attribute it to running (soccer etc never hurt, ever) or possibly to the hack squats - that's the only "new" training that's really got any effect on my knees. I assume it'll probably just feel better as I get into better shape. I think I'll take it easy on the hacks tonight, just to make sure.

Another goal I have is to get down to below 15% body fat. How long this will take, I don't really know. I don't really care either, I just want to get there. Once I get there, I'll probably want to get lower, so I guess it's a bit of a short term goal.

Another BIG goal that I want to meet is to fit into an old suit that I have. It's a 44-37 and, right now, the pants are able to be done up, but I look like a mushroom if I do it, I'm also afraid of potential projectile damage if the button pops off. Even better would be to fit into my OLD suits that are probably 44-35s. They're ugly, and I won't wear them, but I still want to fit them. I will probably be buying a couple of new suits near the end of April because of a big sale that Costco's having at that time (some nice threads for about $200 CAD each). I plan on being able to buy 44's (not sure what pant size they'll come with, probably 38s). I figure the pants can always be taken in later. This is something that I'm okay with. I think I'm probably going to have to get several pairs of pants (that I already have) taken in. This is because I'm too cheap to buy new shit everytime my body fluctuates. And it does.

If my old clothes weren't so ugly, I'd probably want to fit into those too, but having looked at some of my old jeans, I think it's best that I don't - when the hell were high waisted jeans in style?!

I also want to go back to school in September '06 and have everyone say "what the hell happened to you?" One guy already commented on a bit of weight loss the other day, which was nice, but I sloughed it off as having gotten a haircut because I don't want to spoil the September surprise.

Looking at numbers, I originally thought to myself "I think I'd like to be 190 lbs" when I started going at all of this, but now, with my body fat numbers, I've realized that's pretty much impossible. If I was to weigh that much, I'd have to be at about 5-7% body fat from where I am for LBM now. I'm thinking that, ultimately, at about 10% body fat, I'll be about 210 lbs'ish (190 lbs LBM + 10%BF~19 lbs = 209). If that number doesn't work out quite right, I'll be okay. This allows me to put on about 10 lbs of muscle or so from where I am (close to 180 lbs LBM) and lose about 28 more lbs of fat.

The Tanita Body Composition Analyzer that my gym uses is a bit more beefy than the Wal-Mart versions, but are still to be taken with a grain of salt. However, that grain of salt seems to be pretty small in my case, because my body fat calculations are done using an average of the measurements from mybodycomp.com, health central's calc, and the army method spreadsheet. Last week, that put me at 26.6%, the Tanita scale at the gym put me at 26.5%. Good enough for me. It gives a printout with a breakdown of everything - it had me weighing in at 242 (some clothes + water as opposed to the 240 I'd weighed in at in the morning) with a BMI of 32.8, BMR of 2313 (dead on with Adi's spreadsheet), impedance of 396, fat mass of 64.2 lbs, LBM of 177.8 lbs, and total body water of 130.2 lbs (over 50% is good, apparently).

So with that little spiel out of the way - a healthy 210 lbs would be a GREAT achievement for now. That's about a total loss of 45 lbs with a muscle gain of almost 20 lbs (so fat loss of 65 lbs). That's a good goal, I think.

Another goal will be to be able to maintain through a working lifestyle. Right now, it's not as hard as a student as I expect it will be when I'm working downtown and have to commute for over an hour every morning. That'll be a bitch. That kind of thing really cuts down on my desire to expend energy on things like working out, which is something I'll have to get over when the time comes.

If I can combine all of those goals with impressing people at my ten year reunion, which should theoretically be this summer, I'll be happy.

I'm not sure why I even give a shit what other people think - looking at this post, enough of my goals seem to have to do with other people's impressions that it concerns me. Not REALLY concerns me, but just makes me think twice about my priorities. I guess it's less about impressing them and more about how their reactions will hopefully impress me.

Another goal that will be of significant importance to me will be to increase my participation in participatory sports. Right now, I golf. I golf a lot and I love to golf. But I also enjoy soccer and would like to be able to play more of it without feeling like I'm going to die. It's been a long time since I've felt like that (if ever, quite frankly, having never been super fit) and I'd like to get there. I'd also like to be able to be in good enough shape to play hockey again. Getting into more entertaining mountain biking would be awesome, more badminton would also be good. Oh, and kicking ass on our intramural ball hockey team for my last year of law school next year would be the best of all. I'm going to have to start working on some HIIT on the treadmill if I want to reach these goals though because so many of them involve running. Oh yeah, basketball too. I always loved ball, but was always too worn out from playing to be of much value. I want that to change. My friend wants me to start playing tennis with her, too. Sure, why not? I've got all the time in the world! Seriously though, I enjoy tennis. I'd like to be as active as I feel I could be. I'd rather my days be spent enjoying outdoor games like the ones above (except badminton, that's DEFINITELY better inside - wind is bad) than inside eating cheesy poofs and watching TV or something equally mind numbing. Hopefully I'll be able to get my gf into participating in some of these things as that would make a lot of it easier. Unfortunately, due to her (rather impressive) early career as a dancer, her body's shot to shit, for the most part. Her knees and joints and what not are all f'd up, so a lot of those things are harder on her than me.

Some other minor goals are basic things like lowering my cholesterol, making my doctor look shocked next time I see him, having chicks do double takes when they see me walk down the street (for the right reasons this time), increasing my aerobic fitness capacity SO I CAN STOP SWEATING SO GOD DAMN MUCH, and other similar things to that. All those things would make me happy.

In any event, if my goals aren't enough to keep me going, maybe I don't want it bad enough. I want it bad. Bad enough.

16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and no more man boobs!

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm just populating my thread like crazy today!

So I went for a workout tonight and it was going pretty well but I started to feel like I was running out of energy and rushed because I didn't get there until about about 1:10 before closing. This left me enough time to get changed, do my 11 minute warmup, and try my best to rush through a full "Day 2" workout. I try to do my ab work on Day 2, but I ended up running out of time so I skipped about half of my ab work, naughty boy that I am.

Ended up leaving the gym 1 minute after "closing time". Ooops. I hate that feeling of being rushed. I also went a little bit too hard on my cardio warmup (11 minute elliptical) beforehand and so my heart rate was SO high by the end of the workout. It was a combination of abbreviated rest periods and harder warmup.

Oh yeah, and doing fasted LISS (in the morning) on the same day as legs makes for a tired lower body, let me tell you.

Had my super yummy PWO shake (I actually look forward to these):

30g of protein from 1.5 Scoops of IsoWhey Breezer (Mango Peach)
    1/2 cup of frozen fruit
    1 medium banana
    1 small yogurt container (fat free low carb Danone Silhouette Vanilla, in this case)
    1/4 cup of oats
    1 cup water (or today I used tangerine/graprefruit Crystal Light)

Works out to 2g Fat, 62g Carbs (3g DF, 38g sugars) and 39g Protein. SOOOO GOOD.

18. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

Gots ta hate those moobs! I am with you there.:o

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Decided to bail on cardio this morning because I'm a bit concerned about my right knee acting up. Instead, I took my bike down to the shop to get tuned up so I can start going for some morning rides instead of dragging my ass all the way down to the gym. We'll see whether I actually do this or not, but it's an idea, at least.

Had a HUGE cheat meal of greek food last night - guesstimated it at 1252 cals, 56g fat, 102g carbs, and 92g protein (calamari and lamb, yummy). Strangely enough, I was still under my cals for the day because I had woken up late AND done fasted cardio, so didn't end up eating anything until almost 1:00pm. Today hasn't been much better in terms of being on top of the food. Somedays, I find it almost harder to eat enough rather than having problems with eating too much. This is almost always on days with fasted cardio in the morning because I think I might wait too long to eat after the fasted cardio. This is something I'll have to look into more, I think.

Gonna bomb down and pick up some suit pants and then I'm going to hit up a "Day 1" workout tonight. Good stuff!

Oh yeah, and study, I'll do that, too!

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm thinking that maybe I should start taking another set of pics to add to the "abs relaxed" look. I think I'll start taking a "abs flexed" set as well, just for fun. Good to see the difference.

"Note to self" - well, I guess that's what this journal is - a bunch of "notes to self". How convenient!