1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Donkey Calf Raises

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Yinzer00, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Yinzer00

Yinzer00 Well-Known Member

So I was looking through the transformations of the week at www.bodybuilding.com and as I was reading about this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/trans_f67.htm I almost blew Coke Zero all over my laptop I was laughing so hard at the picture of the Donkey Calf Raises. Is this a real exercise??? I guess I get the point that the guy is using the other dude’s body weight to work his calves, but come on man, is this really the best way?!?!?!?!

I can just imagine myself walking up to another guy at the gym and saying, “excuse me sir, I’ve been dying to try this new exercise I’ve learned called the ‘Donkey Calf Raise.’ Would you be willing to jump up on my hunched over back and hold on while I bounce up and down on my calves?” :spaz:

[​IMG]

2. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

It is actually one of the better calf exercises out there.

I have never seen this done in person though, I can only assume for the aforementioned reasons in your post.

I don't need to work my calfs THAT bad..

Pssshh PSU buddy, that's where it's at.

#2 Omaha, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's no worse than wrestling / grappling. It's not like sitting on another man's back is going to transform the gym into a Spartan agoge. :rolleyes:

#3 chicanerous, Jun 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

:eek: ...but he has a point.

5. Demon Knight

Demon Knight Well-Known Member

LOL M@, that is a funny pic.

Anyway, back to the subject. Donkey calf raises are one of the best calf exercises. Ask any pro bodybuilder. You can do them on a smith machine too. Put a pad on it and use the bar as the guy.

As far as asking people at the gym, it depends. If you're already pretty massive and ask someone to sit on your back, they will gladly because they see that whatever you're doing, its working. If you're still pretty small, then they will look at you weirdly saying "What the hell is that guy doing?",since its an exercise that few if any people do. Nobody questions a big guy, everyone questions a little guy.

Then again, everyone looks at my brother and I weirdly at the gym when we do squats and deadlifts. "God,what are those guys doing? Legs and lower back? Yep, definitely gonna injure themselves. Not gonna grow their arms at all. Common man, let's go do another drop-superset-forced rep bicep curl". LOL

Break the mould, ask someone to sit on your back. Or maybe you could get a nice girl to sit on your back.:D

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

7. Bigpapi

Bigpapi Well-Known Member

:lol: Wow. The power of visuals! :lol:

8. Ye Olde Barbarian

Ye Olde Barbarian Active Member

9. Ippo

Ippo Active Member

Every gym must have this. Supersetting with this machine...calves will grow :D

Attached Files:

10. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

I can't see how that is any different than standing calf raises. Everything below the knee is the same, and if you are doing them right, the calves should be the only muscle doing the work.

Can somebody explain?

Further more, (a little off topic) that guy from ExRex has some sloppy form on a lot of the stuff he demonstrates. Has anyone else noticed that?

11. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I can't really explain it, but I know from experience that it certainly FEELS much different and seems to work a little bit better for me.

I think it's also probably safer for those with lower back problems than the standing raise machine is.

12. Ippo

Ippo Active Member

I feel the same. Standing raises put too much pressure on my back, also hard to get in position with lots of weight.

Omaha: You are not alone. Most of his exercises are done too fast in my opinion. I think bb.com has a lot better form on the videos. Though exrx is more organized and tells you which muscles are worked, etc.

13. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I can't stand BB.com's exercise database. I like:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm
    http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/

I think the difference in feeling is a result of the fact that the hamstrings and glutes are in a stretched position when the body is bent-over. How this effects the calves, I couldn't really tell you.

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Interesting.

They feel like they're "hitting deeper," if that makes any sense. It's a strange, deeper burn than standing raises. I think Arnold said something like "with donkey raises you almost feel it in the bone" (I need to look that up but I'm too lazy).

Well tonight we tried using a dip belt and some blocks for donkey raises and they worked surprisingly very well. The only problem is going to be strapping enough weight on there and not having it bang into my knees. I'm going to try to use some 100 pound plates next time but I have a feeling it will be hard to get used to.

15. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, plus you won't get those pesky little red welts all over your shoulders.......

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do they look at you weirdly as you make progress? That's the one that gets me. Like mastover doing deads in his gym and nobody "getting it".

Watch out asking a girl for this exercise. It's a lose-lose situation. Either you're strong, in which case you are implying that she's heavy enough for your calf raises, or else if it's clear she's not heavy enough to do anyone's calves any good, then she knows you're a wuss to only do calf raises with her body weight.

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The single leg versions of calf raises are all supposed to be better than the two leg versions. But I've never done any flavor of single leg donkeys.

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You have a great idea there Zen, thanks!

I assume that with this weight belt variation it might take some getting used to (balance), but I don't think it would be a problem. I will try that out soon. Thanks again.

19. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Using a weight belt, what a great idea.....I've honestly never considered that one. Thanks for that :tu:

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I'm the king of the single leg idea.

The "problem" of balance coming into play in the exercise is an advantage. You have lots of muscle fibers that get fired from reflexes that tend not to get fired consciously. It means you do lots more work than if you were just moving the weight. You can even see it with a heart monitor - it took just about all the way through my 60x225# set to get my heart up to 180 bpm but if I do single leg dumbell deadlifts with say, row, with a pair of 50# dumbells on an inverted bosu I will be there in less than 12 reps. Controlling the wobble actually requires muscular contraction, even if it's almost isometric.

Now if you want super isolation on just the calves, then controlling wobble is a problem. But if you want to be strong and stable in all directions and all positions, then controlling wobble is part of the program.

I supose, one can do bent over calf raises at the bottom position of the single leg dumbell deadlift on inverted bosu, where you will actually have to rock the bosu to get the heels down range of motion. Then, having started the bosu rocking, you would have to stabilize it to get the deadlift. So doing alternating reps of the raise and deadlift would be way more difficult than just either sort of rep. Wow. What a great idea. Might not be too comfortable, but I'll try some in today's workout.

Single leg donkey calf raises with a training partner sounds like you would both want to wear crash helmets.