1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Whey Protein count as Dairy for pre-surgery purposes?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Justitia, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Monday I am having my surgery. Tomorrow (Sunday) I am supposed to have a complete liquid diet (no veggies or anything solid). The idea is to assist in cleaning my bowels. I also have to take various laxitives, etc. Juices (no pulp), broth, hard candies :-)eek: ), jello, etc. is what they recommend.

I was planning to make the day a pure protein shake and flax oil day with some juice perhaps. However, I just realized that they also said no dairy in this day. SO I presume they meant no milk or cream. I understand that dairy clogs up the bowels more than most foods.

My guess the whey protein is verboten as well. (it would be All the WHey protein, as I still have tons of that left.) Does anyone have any idea if whey clogs up the bowels the way regular dairy foods do?

I hate the idea of no protein at all. I have not been eating well this week, mostly not eating at all, maybe one meal a day. Mostly nervves and stress over everythign and the surgery. So I have been short on protein.

I know people will say -- well I need to ask my doctor--- but honestly, I don't think my doctor would have a clue, not being into working out. I would just like to hear people's thoughts. If I have any reservations I will not consume any. But I am curious what people think....

2. KC86

KC86 Active Member

Whey is a by-product from cheese production, so I think that would also go on the "bad-list."

3. Blob

Blob Well-Known Member

Its obviously a dairy derivative, but I'm thinking it would take maybe a nutritionist or ___? to be able to say if whey is the type of "dairy" that is forbidden. I'm thinking it would be casein that would "clog you up"

Anyway, I hope you do well with your surgery and have a speedy recovery! :tu: :tu:

4. featherz

featherz Well-Known Member

I work at a GI clinic and whey protein is a no-no, at least if it's not 'clear' when mixed. Not sure about things like the Isopure clear fruity protein drinks but I think I'll ask for future reference. Personally, I'd tell you to stick to the jello - make sure it's not red jello if any part of this surgery involves cameras in your intestines (can confuse the scoping doctor).

5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Thank you so much for the info. I decided during the night before my 24 hours started to have a couple protein drinks with flax so I got protein in the system. The protein powder is Whey but flavored so I don't think it qualifies as a "clear" liquid. I also decided to take some laxative last night as well to get started early on in the process as I had cottage cheese the evening before.

And thanks for the advice re: jelllo... All the jello I got is red. :lol: So no jello for me. I think I will just spend the day drinking lots of water and green tea. That should be pretty safe.

Once again, JSF forums strike again! :) It is amazing what info we have available to us because of all the breadth of knowledge among members of the community.

6. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Wishing you wellfor tomorrow's op Justitia, and that you feel peaceful from the moment u wake up :)