1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

does this happen at your gym?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by fosse, Aug 10, 2005.

1. brie

brie Active Member

At my last gym the group of people there really depended on the time of day, but for the most part it wasn't that incredibly bad. I tend to ignore the people who don't know what they're doing and concentrate on my work.

However, now I go to my school's rec center so it's a much different crowd (for the most part). Lot's of younger men who don't really seem to know what they should be doing and a few that do.

My biggest pet peeve by far though is when some guy comes up and tries to start a conversation while I'm working out. I'm not there to socialize, the least they could do is wait till I finish my rep. It gets worse when they're actually trying to help but they don't know how.

I'm not against guys helping me at the gym, I'd just like to point that out, but it helps a lot if they're at least knowledgeable .

Oh and I usually get lots of dirty looks from girls there with they're boyfriends. But that's actually amusing. :)

2. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Haha, I'm the other way around, because I'm always checking out the guys girlfriends while I'm at the gym... I never did understand that though, I don't think I'd ever want to work out with my girlfriend. Lifting for me is like mowing the lawn, its "me time".

3. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, I guess everyone is different. For example when I go to the gym I'm usually always working out. ;)

4. SaintofGamblers

SaintofGamblers Active Member

Yes but as seinfeld says, its like looking at the sun. One glance and then you have to look away.

I actually dont pay much attention to the women at the gym because i find for myself, if i start ogling women then i start not taking my workouts seriously.

And thats tough when you concider the most exciting experience ive had with a woman in a while was last months pants alteration.

5. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Lol, well I just try to be observant thats all and I'm a sucker for the ladies :) I can't say it ever affects my workout but I've always got my radar on.

7. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Didn't expect that one.:lol:

8. brie

brie Active Member

I dunno, I could never get my ex to go to the gym with me. I like working out with a friend sometimes but it's definitely hard to be serious when you're with other people.

I kind of think some girlfriends go just to make sure their guy doesn't get in trouble ya know? People here are weird like that!

But no, usually I don't check out men too much. Just a little, it's more that I don't usually wear a bra when I work out and that usually gets people's attention these days.

9. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I lift with a guy thats about my height, my strength and has the same goals so when we're lifting we're lifting and it goes well... and there are a few ladies to check out, but I could never lift with say a girlfriend, maybe a woman that was into lifting like I am, but not a girlfriend thats just there to hit the tread mill and wander or be right up my ass the whole time I'm trying to get something done.

10. brie

brie Active Member

Yep, I agree. Especially if the girlfriend doesn't really want to be there, I'm always surprised how much I see this at my Rec Center. I've never noticed it anywhere else.

11. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

There may be a reason for the 5 min rest intervals;)

12. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's nice to be a little less focussed on yourself. I lifted with my wife last week and enjoyed encouraging her in her deadlifts. Then again, she works hard and takes it seriously, so it is by no means a dilution of my own time.