1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

does this happen at your gym?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by fosse, Aug 10, 2005.

1. fosse

fosse Well-Known Member

sprry was unsure where to post this. but at your gym do you have people on the bech press having most of the weight curled for them my there spotter, this really gets to me, i was thinking about going over to day and just shouting at them lol.

2. Indianchap

Indianchap Well-Known Member

yeah i saw just yesterday this poor 90 lb girl trying to bench 135 with her boyfriend essentially carrying all the weight up...but why say anything, maybe you are right and it isn't benefiting those people but it isn't any of your business really...and there are some benefits to doing negatives I guess :D

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Someone should make a comedy show out of the crap you see in the gym...

Some of my favorites:
    - Throwing the hips and back into the curl motion because the moron is curling twice as much as he should.
    - Putting a million pounds on the leg press sled and then doing about a tenth of the proper motion (Letting it down two inches and then pushing it up)
    - The guy that thinks a crunch is lifting his head off the floor

I'm sure in my next trip to the gym I'll see some more that will make we want to add to this post.

4. fosse

fosse Well-Known Member

lol yeah,ihate the guys that rest for like 5 min between sets lol on everything, and stand around tlaking.

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I like the guy that doesn't even care what proper form is for bicep curls. He just picks up the heaviest dumbbells and swings them as fast as he can in any way that will get them up and down.

I've just begun to appreciate the full squat so it's starting to really bug me when the guy next to me loads up all this weight and barely goes a quarter of the way down.

6. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

This morning, I saw a guy doing concentration curls...in a power rack!
    I saw him move the bench into the rack, do his 3 sets and then leave.

jason

7. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

That one takes the cake... :lol:

8. Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I saw something that scared me recently. One of the attendents was showing a Gym Rat how to use the assisted pull up station. The movement he suggested to the guy was that at the top of each rep he let go of the handles and grab hold of the other set of handles. While the attendent was demonstrating the movement he slipped off the handle on one of the catches and slammed the platform down on the base. (god knows what would have happened if he lost his footing and came off the platform)
    Now i am no Newton but even i can appreciate the simple laws of gravity which dictate that this guy has a 100% chance of getting seriouly fubared at some point.
    Anyway the thing that really scared me was he carried on like there was no danger and still recommened the exercise to the guy.

Wilders

9. JeremyWildcat

JeremyWildcat Well-Known Member

Easy now, some of us have bad knees! ;)

For me it doesn't get any better than the "loudgrunters."

10. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

Worse for me are the guys who make the "Tsssss!" noise. You know that noise. I understand that grunting happens sometimes, but this noise is pure "just in case you people were wondering--i'm a hardass!"

11. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hey, don't diss the "Tsssss!" I would make the same statement about the grunters. I think the "Tsssss!" comes from pushing the tongue to the roof of the mouth -- it's an unconcious form of power breathing.

And, while I don't think it has a real place in a commercialized gym, power breathing is definitely a very real thing.

Guys that make a "Tsssss!" on every single rep, however, are definitely just trying to make a statement, which is lame. I treat it the same as grunting on a particularly hard and stressful compound set.

12. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Forget Newton, this one is almost up for a Darwin Award.

13. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I grunt, go "tsss" on exercises that some people think are easy, and also sometimes rest for ages between sets.

Bollocks to anyone who doesn't like it.

My health - and doing whatever *I* have to do to improve that health - matters to me, and people's dislike for how I might look or sound do not matter to me.

By the way, I also occasionally do a very limited movement on the leg press. Anyone who laughs about this should try suffering from patellofemoral pain syndrome and then see how loud they can laugh when their knee carries weight while bent at 90 degrees.

14. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

sounds like a whole lot of people are busy paying attention to those around them, instead of focusing on their own workouts, which I suppose we all do to an extent.

The thing I used to hate when I trained at gyms was bad spotters. I used to do this bench workout for football that pyramided up in weight and the sets had reps of 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 4 again. My four was 295lbs so everything after that was well over 300lbs, and as you all know some times you grab who ever is around for a spot. Alot of these guys would see the weight and while I am laying on the bench trying to get focused they would say something stupid like I hope I can lift that, as if I expected them to pull up the whole thing. Anyway's this would always take away from my concentration and psych me out.

#14 jessie, Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  15. Indianchap

Indianchap Well-Known Member

you know it used to bother me...but then i noticed that a lot of those guys are really really huge....so they must be doing something right.

16. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Hey, that guy goes to my gym as well!

His leg press technique is my fave, although he has others. His concentration curl technique is something to see - pick up heaviest weight, hold at top then move a few degrees down, return to vertical.

I've actually become so worried that I asked the staff to help him before he hurts himself. Answer: they've tried. They've encouraged, they've joked ("You call that a leg press?") they've scolded. He won't change.

The only response they get is a proud, broad smile and "not bad for an old guy, right?"

17. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

I used to go to a gym that had this guy who would wear those bike brand compresion shorts (you know the ones that have that special jock strap like fabric in the crotch) around with nothing over them. Plus he would either took his shirt in or wear a sweatshirt that didn't hang down. He looked like the guy from that episode of Seinfeld when they had the actor who was playing Kramer in their tv show.

18. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I wore bike brand shorts as part of my halloween costume last year :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was being 'the high school jock' complete with:

Running Shoes
    Jacked up socks with volleyball pants
    Aforementioned Bike Brand (size small) shorts
    (some of the girls asked if I had butt implants :lol: )
    Baseball style long sleeve undershirt (white with solid color sleeves)
    Football in hand
    Sweatbands
    Headband

and to top it all off I had a golf glove on and a marching band q-tip hat which was about 20 inches tall.

My favorite guy at the gym is the guy who uses his rib cage as a trampoline when performing the flat bench press. He usually spends upwards of 50% of his workout time on the bench and 80% of his non-workout time obsessing about how much he can bench compared to his buddies.

I'm guilty of grunting and tssiing but I try to do it mainly when others aren't around but if I'm really pushing it it's going to come out.

Sometimes I have to rest 4 or 5 minutes between sets, but not if it's some isolation exercise.

The guy who does concentration curls in the power rack must enjoy the secure feeling of being surrounded by metal. In most gyms nobody squats anyways so he probably didn't even interfere with anyone's leg workout :lol:

19. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you gotta forgive people for this one .... I mean, how many times have you seen guys throw on weight that is more than their 1-rep max, and then decide to do about 6 reps with the spotter straining to do all the work. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. So, in many cases, the concern is valid if they don't feel that they can deadlift the weight you plan on benching. I get the same kinda comments though....but I usually just shrug it off and try to take it in a positive way.

20. Rishi P

Rishi P Well-Known Member

these are great haha...keep them coming...