1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Does it get difficult as you get older?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by autumngirl, Jan 7, 2014.

1. autumngirl

autumngirl Active Member

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing well.

Is there any scientific evidence that losing fat and staying in good shape gets difficult, almost impossible, as you get older?

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    No.

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

The Phillydude has spoken!

Jaer
    thinks Philly is right, but has no proof.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Well I'm 66 and still going like a maniac......

For me it hasn't gotten any harder.........

Except now I work out in white socks and sandals......:jumping:

(Just kidding about the sandals and socks)

#4 HevyMetal, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. sudy

sudy Active Member

I think you're referring to middle age spread which is a change in the hormones that maintain our muscle mass. It's not impossible to stay in shape as we get older.. but as we gradually lose muscle mass we inevitably need fewer calories as there'll be a decrease in the energy demand. If one manages to maintain or increase muscle mass, that will make a difference. Unfortunately I don't have links to any science pages to support this.

6. arold10

arold10 Member

I doesn't matter how old you are. You can still lose weight as well as maintain your weight through exercises and proper diet. What will make the difference is your commitment to achieve that. But, it also evident that as you're getting older the daily recommended calorie intake is decreasing gradually.

7. eclectic taste

eclectic taste Well-Known Member

Speaking from personal experience, I'm finding it much harder to shed weight at 49 than it was at 29 or 39, or even 46-47. Working out hard (Insanity Max 30 + weights), eating well, scale and measurements barely moving. For reference, I'm 5'6", 157lb, turn 49 in 2 weeks, and never heavier than 169 or lighter than 146. Lost 20 lbs in 2013, maintained for a year+, then slowly crept up to 159, and just stuck there for 6-8 months now. The only positive is I'm getting stronger and fitter, lifts/reps are going up, and cardio capacity is better, too.

8. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

It is known!

9. Steel Dylan

Steel Dylan New Member

Losing weight at an early age is easier than losing weight at a later age, as your body is more adapted to changes at a younger age.
    Your metabolic activities act on your body with more effect at a younger age.. and on your body too...

At a later age, it may only be the body that the effect takes place on.. bones may stay large n thick.