1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anybody else workout in Silence?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by HansMDude, Sep 30, 2010.

1. HansMDude

HansMDude Well-Known Member

Does anybody else workout in silence?
    I've tried working out with music, metal, house music, etc... I just find it very distracting. I go into my room, no TV, No Music, just me and my heart beat (and a few grunts here & there.) I guess it's more like "Active Meditation"
    I know I'm in the minority. I guess I'm wondering just how weird I really am, :blank:.

2. malnar

malnar Active Member

Yes and no. I couldn't have television on, and having other people around is a major annoying distraction (I get even MORE impatient with people while working out...). I have to get in my bubble to focus and get it done. With that said, music is my bubble - it can stop me from thinking about everything else going on that day and allows me to focus. So in the end, I don't think you are weird - you know how you focus and that is what you do!
    :tu:

3. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

For me it depends.

With cardio I almost require music to give it my best.

However, with weights, I find it very distracting so prefer without. Definitely can't use headphones - don't mind too much if the gym is playing some music as long as it's not too loud.

4. George

George Senior Member

I've found that the right music can help me get "psyched" before a lift, but I more or less tend to ignore it during the lift itself. Over time, I've figured out how to get into the right mindset without music.

5. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

I sure do. Never been able to get into the music while lifting. Always found it distracting.

6. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

No your weird.:D
    I like to crank hard and or fast paced beat angry music and go to town when lifting.
    For cardio I need anything to zone out to and go to my happy place while time passes.

7. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I used to when I worked out at home. Now it's not really an option due to working out at school. Nothing distracts me from a good lift, though :)

8. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Like some of the others, I workout by myself in my home gym. I don't play any music and find its easier to concentrate. Its probably because that is what I'm accustomed to. When I'm traveling and find myself in a regular gym with music blaring away, I'm able to just tune it out and focus on what I'm doing.

You get very spoiled working out in a home gym. No waiting for weights or machines, no impromptu conversations, etc. etc. For me, silence is golden.

9. sudy

sudy Active Member

I prefer silence when lifting but love energetic music when running.

10. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My preference is to have some kind of music playing, but, if nothing is on, silence is perfectly fine. I used to have a lot of trouble with silence, but I grew out of it. The only time I can't deal is when someone throws Enya (or the like) into a lifting CD or something really obnoxious like Wagner or marching band music. The former puts me to sleep, while the latter is just plain embarrassing to hear in a gym setting.

I never mix cardio and music. It just feel wrong. I haven't done cardio in years though.

#10 chicanerous, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  11. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

I usualy allways have music on, but I cant remeber much of it, think I mostly zone out and focus on the task at hand

12. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

The free weight rooms in my gym are usually empty when I'm using them. They are kind of small, like the rooms for that one kind of ball game where the ball has to hit the wall (that's what the rooms apparently used to be for, judging by the thousands of round blue smudges on the walls). They are also poorly ventilated and echo-y. I don't have a portable music player or access to the stereo for the free weight rooms, so I work out in silence (not that I mind).

The cool part about working out in them is that when I get breathing really hard, there's this really nifty echo. It makes it seem like my whole workout is taking place in an intense slow-motion action sequence from some war movie or something like that. I get a bit of a kick out of it :)

13. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I often lift in silence.

I don't need a rock band to psych me up.

When I'm there to lift , I'm there to lift.

If the music IS on....fine and dandy.

If it isn't...makes no difference.

14. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I don't intentionally but I rarely think of turning anything on. If I do it quickly fades into the background. So it could be silence.

OTOH I do know my driving can be altered by music so I don't doubt at times so could a work out.

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Silence is golden. I hate cardio, therefore when I work it in, out comes the MP3 player with my 50s/60s music (before Music died).

16. rollcast

rollcast Active Member

Love silence!! Helps me focus on the muscle at hand... Need the tunes for cardio though.

17. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

I have the TV on in my home gym, usually Raymond or Friends reruns are on at that time of day. As soon as I start a lift everything is automatically tuned out.