1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use a belt?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by laao, Feb 3, 2004.

1. laao

laao Well-Known Member

I have not lifted for years. In High School my coach always made us use a belt when doing squats and deadlifts. When I was reading up on the max-ot it was saying how good squats was for the lower back. does it still work the lower back with the belt on or should I not use on?

2. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Other than my clothes, the only thing I wear while doing Max-OT is a pair of weight training gloves. I'm not sure if not using a belt will be bad for me in the future, but I haven't had any short term problems.

3. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

I don't use a belt either...

but my deadlifts are not very heavy yet (I am still easing into learning to do it right), so maybe I will reconsider when they get there.
    (I'll probably need straps too since it is always my grip that tends to fail first.) :confused:

at this point I am very strict with form when squating and deadlifting.
    but I can see how going to failure with real heavy weight means your last rep might get ugly - so that one last rep when you have bad form with no belt, something might go "pop" :p
    having said all that, a belt is only good if it is fitted right and worn tight but not too tight - I still don't know about how it should feel, so odds are I would have it set-up wrong...

anyway, for now, no belt for me. :whistle:

4. NME

NME Well-Known Member

I use a belt for Deadlifts only, and I'm trying to stop doing that. My deadlifts are relatively heavy (to me) so it's still useful.

I find it unnecessary for squats, military press, and all other exercises that I do.

5. jaz75

jaz75 Well-Known Member

This is just a language question - what is a deadlift?

6. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

7. Nate

Nate Well-Known Member

I never use a belt. I focus on strengthening my abs, lower back, and obliques. I kinda make my own belt, only it's made of muscle. ;) :bb:

8. SAX

SAX Well-Known Member

I only use a belt for Deadlifts over 100kg.
    And only use straps for anything over 140kg.
    No belt for Squats, or Bench Press.
    I'm working on bulding my own belt of muscles, but it is a few more months off yet :tu:

9. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

Whether i use my belt depends on the weight, i usually use it for heavy deads and heavy squats, just to provide that bit of extra support,

Mark