1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you go by the weight on meat packages or on the scale?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I bought some meat that said 0.69 lbs which is 11.04 oz. But when I cooked it and put it on a plate it weighed 7.8 oz. That's a HUGE difference. Do they include the packaging?! (If so, what a rip off!!) What do I log that I ate, which amount? Thanks! :)

2. George

George Senior Member

Depending on the type of meat and cooking method, there can be substantial losses in total weight after cooking.
    I'm pretty sure that weight of packaging is not included in price at most places.

3. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

In most meats you are going to lose moisture from the meat after cooking. This will reduce the weight.

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Which weight do you go by, the package one or the weight on the scale right before it goes in your mouth?

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Active Member

6. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Package weight if I'm eating the whole thing or figuring out for a whole recipe. If I'm only eating a portion I throw it on the scale before cooking, because between how its cooked, how long its cooked, its initial moisture content etc. there is no real accurate way to know how much weight was lost.

7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Let me rephrase.... if you're eating the WHOLE package, which weight do you go by lol It seems to me in that situation you'd still go by the scale weight. That's a couple hundred calorie difference, which is quite a lot!!

8. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

The calorie guide you're using should mention how it's cooked or if it's raw. Best to go with the raw weight.

OTOH natural products aren't uniform. Unless you send the stuff out to a lab to be tested before hand you're only getting a rough number. The piece you have may have a bit more marbling then the average or it may be leaner. So don't get too worried about exact.

9. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Still applies :tu:

10. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

i had a similar question,
    Yesterday i took a package of chicken breasts out of the fridge

the container said, 580grams.

i weighted the frozen chicken on my kitchen scale and it was 526grams.
    :mad:

then i defrosted on the microwave for 5 minutes, still 526grams after that.

then i choped and cooked the chicken and only got like 250g or so, which is normal.

any way, when i log the caloric content of it, i go with the raw weight ( 526g)

11. e4jsff

e4jsff Active Member

I use the raw weight on the package.

I never really thought of using the weight of the meat (or whatever) after cooking. You do lose a ton of moisture while cooking, that's where your reduction is coming from.

12. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

I always weight the meat after I cook it. It seems to me that it is more accurate in terms of calorie counting if you weigh it cooked just before you eat it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. cymbals

cymbals Active Member

Any more thoughts here?

14. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Always go by the package weight, and make sure when entering calories that I'm entering the weight for a 'raw' portion as opposed to cooked.

15. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Both have errors. People need to accept unless you send lunch out to a lab and have it tested it's only an estimate.

Weighing after cooked risks errors related to how you cook. Cook in a way that dries out the meat and it'll weigh less. Stew it and I guess it could actually get heavier.

Going by raw weight the problem is how much fat is lost. If you grill it then the fat drips into the fire. If you stew it then the fat goes into pot.

Then you have the issue that things vary. I know the butchers have standards on how to trim things and how much fat goes into ground beef but even so the standards have some variations.