1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Do It

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by cnjlakes, Oct 1, 2007.

1. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Hey, How come I wasn't invited? Seriously, I hope you had fun and look forward to hearing from you soon.

2. specialk

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Hey SK. :wave:

Things are slowly coming back into perspective. I worked my upper body Wednesday and I have lost some serious strength. I'm down 14 pounds since surgery and I'm pretty sure it's just about all lean mass. :( I know... Only one way to fix that.

The psychological aspect of my injury has been devastating. Know the length of the road ahead of me and my still limited mobility is really bumming me out. I take solace in the fact that I am doing everything my PT instructs me to do, but it still sucks not being able to chase the kids around the yard, go for a bike ride, etc... I guess this is just my "Summer of no summer."

On the bright side, after five weeks of wearing my bulky, hip to ankle brace 24/7, I was told yesterday that I can take it off! Last night was the best sleep I have had since putting it on.

My wife is taking my daughter to VERY rural Kentucky this weekend to visit a family friend. Tonight, my son and I are going to go to a very close friend from high school that I recently reconnected with. She has a son about the same age as mine. Should be fun. Tomorrow will be great. We are going to a local 3/8 mile dirt track to watch late models and super modifieds race with our next door neighbors. Sunday my inlaws are picking him up to take him on a bike ride. The dude may only be six, but he hang for 20 miles on the back of a tandem!

Have a great weekend, everyone. I need to start posting again. Just doing so seems to have raised my spirits a bit...

4. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

received a package from amazon today... the end product of a gift card from my inlaws. I got:

Pearl Jam - Live at the Garden DVD
    Beastie Boys - Awesome! I Shot That! DVD
    Three Bad Brains CD's - Roir, Rock For Light and The Youth Are Getting Restless (We have them all on vinyl, but they skip a lot when you try to drive ;) )
    and a book - The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate

In all, a good purchase. My son and I went to a friend's house near downtown (cincy) for a cookout. We had a great time and my son informed me that he has a new best friend (My friend's five year old son). Being down there made me realize that I am not too crazy about my own house and would love to own an older home. High ceilings, beautiful woodwork and, most importantly, character and uniqueness. It's a shame that most older neighborhoods with beautiful homes fall into ill repair. This particular community, Northside, is quite eclectic and is home to a diverse group of people. It's very interesting.

It was a good night. Not so great on the diet front, but a good night with good friends. Time to go watch the Tour...

#404 cnjlakes, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

For those of you not familiar with Bad Brains... one of the best songs ever.... I still get chills when Dr. Know starts working the neck at about 30 seconds. I'm so bummed I never got to see a show at CBGB...

#405 cnjlakes, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jay I can understand your frustration about your recovery, but don't let it incapacitate you and keep you from doing the things that you can. Not that you are, just don't let it. Getting those upper body workouts done will reap benefits from beyond the physical ones and as long as you're following the advice of your PT then you're on your way to as fast and complete recovery as possible.

That's great news that you were able to take your brace off; it's a very concrete sign of progress and one that I'm sure has made your life a lot more comfortable. You're not there yet, but you're moving in the right direction and there are going to be more of these milestone events on your road to recovery. Keep up the hard work. :tucool:

I'm glad that your visit with your friend went well and that the boys had a good time.

Oh yeah, the link you provided didn't show up. And for the record CBGB's, while historically significant and a fun place to see bands, was a dump of a place in a less than savory part of the city. But given the music that it promoted how could it have been otherwise? :lol: Even though I hadn't been there in over a decade I was sad when I read that it was closing because I had some fun times there.

7. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks Paul. Whenever I'm down, I can count on you! :tucool:

Yes, I have heard stories of CBGB, but to be there would be like going to the mecca of American punk rock. So many great bands called that place home or played there. The Ramones, Johnny Thunders, The Talking Heads.... So much history in such a short amount of time.

I wonder why my youtube did not embed? :confused: I did [..youtube]link[../youtube] (periods in there to avoid having another blank white square on the page)...I know that this version of IE does not let me post properly most of the time (so I normally post using Firefox), since the forum upgrade. I think I can embed youtube as a silver member. I'll play around with it tonight.

Sensei gave me a workout program that seems like it has crazy high reps. I need to post it and get some feedback. Three sets of 30 peck deck flyes???? :eek:

8. Rise

Rise Active Member

Hey Jay, just stopping by to say "hi" and I hope that everything is going well for you! Just keep taking it one day at a time and you'll get through it.

9. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks dood :tu:

Some days are better than others. I'm so good at beating myself up that I sometimes fail to recognize the positive. I'm glad that I have people like you, SK and Seltzer to shake the cobwebs loose. My online buddies.... :dreamy:

One interesting thing that I am noticing is the HUGE correlation between diet, exercise and frame of mind.

Did anyone see today's stage of the Tour? Awesome fucking stage. Not epic, but exciting as hell. Evans was smart not to fight for the jersey, but it is in no way guaranteed to be his in Paris. He's going to have to attack in the alps if he expects to get it back in the time trial, and I have yet to see him attack since he switched to road racing. He's too tentative and eager to follow wheels, IMO.

10. Rise

Rise Active Member

fo sho ;)

you know it, I think that's one of the main messages of this website, after all. Keep that in mind if you start feeling down again.

It sounds like you could be a commentator for bike racing. You know enough about people's background and how bike racing works to make insightful comments... you should try it out :nod:

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Jay, I hope today's a good one for you and as Rise wrote, keep in mind those correlations that you mentioned.

I've seen very little of the Tour this year although I've been somewhat following it in the papers. I have an interest in cycling, but don't follow it and don't know any of the riders or their characteristics like you do.

12. specialk

I haven't been posting to much on the forums lately. I have been reading most emails sent but have been extremely busy at work and home. Just checking to see how you're fairing?

13. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Wow. Long time no post. Since my injury, life has been very up and down. Unfortunately, mostly down... and VERY unfortunately, mostly due to my actions (and inactions). The only thing to do is pick myself up, dust myself off and get back to old, healthy ways and hopefully improve upon them.

My knee is feeling better (acl reconstruction on 6/24/2008) and for the last 2.5 weeks have been allowed to get around without my brace. Prior to that, it was on 24/7 and I couldn't fucking stand it. Towards the end I was sleeping about two hours a night.

Anyway, that was then and this now and I'm only looking forward.

Today's food:
    m1: protein shake
    m2: 15 almonds, 1 banana
    m3: greens with chicken, carrot, tomato, feta, balsamic vinegraitte
    m4: Will be oatmeal
    m5: will be chicken breast and steamed vegetable

Today's activity:
    two mile walk (leisurely pace)
    lat pull down - 3x10
    knee raises - 3x12
    tricep pushdown - 3x10
    bb bench press - 3x10
    upright rows - 3x10
    tripod rows - 3x10
    pec flye - 3x10

It felt good, but weight has seriously decreased! I would say by 20% for some exercises, such as bench press. I feel good, though. I'm awake, energized and ready to put some of my old demons behind me.

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I've got doms today. I miss that feeling. Yesterday was good, but I stumbled a bit in the evening (that tends to be the time when the wheels fall off).

Today is physical therapy (or leg day, as I call it). It's an hour of nothing but legwork. I'm drenched when I leave the place. So two days of that and three days of upper body should work well for me.

15. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Camping Photos

The last two weekends we have made the 2 1/2 hour drive to our favorite campground in Scottsburg, IN. Not favorite in the sense of spectacular scenery or wind swept beaches, but a nice family oriented campground that is clean, reasonably close and staffed by a very friendly family. It's a "Jellystone' camp... It's themed after Yogi bear and there are hayrides, activities, etc.. with Yogi, a pool, a lake and lots of opportunities to relax. Here are a couple photos from This past weekend. The first image is dinner Saturday night: drumsticks, zuchini, onions, peppers, tomatoes and dump cake! The second photo is my daughter 'patiently' waiting for Dad to put a worm on her hook and the third is my son, just happy to be there.

Attached Files:

16. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Good to have you back man! :)

17. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks, Michael! Time to get back on the horse and reclaim my lifestyle. I've made too much progress in the last 8 or 9 months to shoot myself in the foot now.

PT got cut short yesterday... received a call that my son had cracked his head open at summer camp. Three staples and it's all better. He thinks it's really cool, but is bummed out for two reasons: 1) He can't see them because they are on the back of his head, and 2) His hair will cover the scar.

That's my boy!

18. Rise

Rise Active Member

:lol: @ your son. I got a scar on my face in high school (10 years ago) that went from under my left eye to above my right eye... tell him it's only cool if there is a cool story behind it, truuuuuuuuuust me on that one. The scar has mostly faded now, thankfully.

oh, and change your @#$!ing avatar before I throw up :lol:

edit: i remember the days of camping in a pop up... fun stuff!

19. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Avatar: better? I figured you would just keep telling yourself it's a planet. :lol:

Camping is fun. The kids love it. Right now, I'd much rather take 7 or 8 three-four day long weekend vacations than one big one each year. Plus, there is no shortage of places to go within three-four hours of Cincinnati.

Food:
    m1: 15 almonds, one banana
    m2: protein shake, oatmeal
    m3: (post workout) salad w/ chicken, tomato, feta, carrot
    m4: (yet to have) yogurt, 15 almonds
    m5: (yet to have) grilled salmon and steamed veggies
    m6: if anything, a protein shake

Workout:
    15 minutes on stationary bike (for knee)
    knee raises 3x12
    wall squats w/ exercise ball 10 reps holding for 10 seconds each
    incline bb press 3x10
    seated OH DB press 3x10
    preacher curls (not sure why... I never do them) 3x10

....I know that there were one or two more, but I can't remember and did not write down my workout.

Need to go buy a new cell phone after work (my Chocolate sucks), order the cake for my daughter's birthday and pick up some round up. I'm most excited about the phone, but hate the fact that it won't be free. It will be the first time I've paid for a phone.

Physical therapy tomorrow. Bring the pain......

20. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Weight - 228.2 last night at 8:00 PM!

At one point late last year, I weighed 264, so I am quite happy with myself and motivated (Despite being in a shite mood from getting about three hours sleep last night.

My goal is going to be 200 by Thanksgiving while building muscle at the same time. If I do hit 200, I'll probably stroke out and drop dead from the shock. ;)

I went to the Verizon store last night and couldn't find anything I liked. Did not help that I was in a very, very surly mood and my seven year old was into EVERYTHING. I may just get another Chocolate. The only reason this one is dying is because it spent the night in the rain at Talladega this year. I'm surprised it works at all. Birthday cake is ordered... Hannah Montana, of course. Saturday my wife is taking Megan to Mitchell's (a salon/spa here in town) for a spa treatment and haircut (she has beautiful red hair halfway down her back). They're both excited. Then Megan instructed us to have a surprise party for her, where everyone has to gather at the bottom of the stairs and she will make her grand entrance, descending the stairs so all can see her new hairstyle. She's funny.

Physical therapy today and I'm seriously thinking about participating in karate class tonight. No sparring or impact, just what I think I can do (warm ups, stretching, kata, etc...) We'll see.