1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Do It

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by cnjlakes, Oct 1, 2007.

1. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

No, not Nike. More of a combination of Henry Rollins and Starsky and Hutch.

So I've lurked for a year, introduced myself on the beginner's forum, ponied up some cash to feel 'engaged', started my first challenge and now it is time to begin my journal. I'm doing so for several reasons. Encouragement, accountability, advice and motivation. Hell, even criticism.

I'm 36, 6' and 247 pounds. My initial goal is 200. After reaching that, I will see how I look and decide from their. I am going to attain this through, most importantly, clean eating. Weight training and cardio will obviously be major factors, but changing my lifestyle to eat clean is paramount. Since today is my twelfth wedding anniversary, I'm not sure how I will get a workout in. Well, I can think of one way :evil::spaz:

We are going out to dinner. Unfortunately, at a place that has the largest collection of single barrel bourbons in the area (Remember, Jay, SOBER OCTOBER!). It will deter me. I have looked at the menu, and while wanting celebrate, I will not celebrate by eating myself to the point of being uncomfortable. I'd love the blackened scallops on fried green tomatoes appetizer followed by the fish and chips or their signature 15 oz prime rib, but I really going to try and show restraint by ordering the spiced salmon on pilaf. I just hope that Pelligrino goes as well with salmon as chardonnay does!

So this where I will be rambling on about my successes and pitfalls. Feel free say hey and offer any advice or corrections on things I may doing wrong.

j.:madpimp:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Jay, congrats on starting your journal and also the challenge. It really came at a good time for me.

You're right to concentrate on the dietary side of the fitness equation. Exercising has a lot of benefits, but it's really hard to overcome a poor diet. That said, have a great time tonight at dinner (and afterwards).

3. specialk

specialk Well-Known Member

Looks like you have taken the plunge into uncharted waters. Keeping a journal has so many positive benefits that will be revealed in time. I often gauge my current progress by reading what I have done in the past. I hope you do well tonight and come out of it with only a few scratches, preferably from your wife. :madpimp:

4. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

I start with such good intentions... well, not that I can help this, but I had plans for 30 minutes of fasted cardio this morning followed by working my chest and back this evening and instead have been hit with a total body bug that has me in agony.

I woke up about 3:00 am with horrible abdominal cramps. I took a shot of pepto (that IS allowed in the sober october challenge) and spent the rest of the night tossing and turning in a cold sweat with body aching horribly.

I'm going to take it easy today. Maybe try some weights after my son's karate lesson. All I know is that right now, sitting in this cubicle is misery.

5. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

congrats on your anniversary, starting a challenge and deciding to get into better shape :claplow: just take it easy on the working out if your getting sick... it sounds like you might have had a fever last night... if you are getting sick, try to eat clean, drink LOTS of water and rest until you start to get better and then ease into working out... if you hit the gym too hard while your getting sick you'll just get sick faster :nod: I hope you're feeling better and :gl:

6. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks Chameleon. Yeah, my ass is whooped. Before I began my lifestyle change, I insisted that my fuel was the fundamentally most important aspect of it (ahead of weight and cardio). While I was quite fit at one time, I know that it will take some time to get back to that point. Plus, I'm afraid that by changing too many things at once I will become overwhelmed.

My weights are light, and my cardio is only about 20-30 minutes. No HIIT yet for me. I've been doing exercises I enjoy, like military press, lat pull down, seated row, curls... stuff like that. Taking it slow and making sure my form is in check.

Now, feeding off of your advice, time to grab another liter of water, a multi-v and hopefully some soup or something.

7. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

baby steps are always the easiest to take... and right now the ones you are taking are good... starting slow is a good thing in my opinion... people who go from 0 to 60 in no time flat, usually end up, well... flat :p they fall because they don't know how to go 60 yet... you need to learn how to go 10, then 20, then 30 and so on... you'll eventually get up to 60 but by trying to get there before you're ready you'll likely hit a bump in the road and get into an accident ;) hehe.... sorry.. I think I'm getting a bit carried away with that analogy :lol: I'm pretty sure you know what I mean :D

try to work your water up to a gallon a day... your body will thank you and you'll end up losing water weight in the process ;)

8. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Well, wasn't in too active of a mood today. I had some pretty hardcore 'intestinal issues' yesterday and today. I managed a bowl of soup yesterday, and today was able to get down another bowl of (chicken broth based) soup, a banana and a whole wheat wrap with 3 oz of ham and sauteed (in zero calorie spray). I'm not eating what I should, but my stomach's feeling better so I hope to be on a normal, 5 meal a day plan by the end of the week (with the exception of my wife's birthday party Saturday!).

No weights or cardio today. Still feverish and week from no food.

9. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Man, this morning felt like I did a 180. I feel like $100! Yesterday I was sore, crampy, sweaty with no appetite. This morning I awoke hungry, alert and ready to go! Hopefully I can keep this momentum. After work I'm planning to hit our fitness center and thirty minutes on the elliptical and 30-45 minutes of weights :bb:. I'm thinking military press, flat bench, curls, butterfly, lat pulldowns and deadlifts.

This will sound weird, but I've never done a deadlift. :eek: Other than my curl bar at home, I only have dumbells (aside) from my Body Solid machine. I've watched some vids on Youtube, so I know that I need to start with my weight on my heels, but I am curious about grip... One palm in, one out? Both facing in? Any help is appreciated.

I can't believe how good I feel :claphigh:!!! That stone have had me feeling down for the last couple months. Plus going on day four of no firewater can't be hurting either!:tucool:

10. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

There are many deadlift grips. I prefer the mixed grip (1 under, 1 over) but you can do both over, both under etc. Some of the youtube videos are not good examples of deadlifting, so you have to be careful. Try going on to this site for some good tips and demonstration on form.

11. specialk

Here is a good post on the forum about deadlifts Mannishboy has a great link to Eric Cressy's T-nation article on proper deadlifting. Here is another site that also gives good examples and links to various Powerlifts like Deads, Bench, and Squats.

I use a hook grip until failure then a mixed grip.

12. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Thanks for the links and advice, guys! From what I've read, deadlifts are an all around awesome exercise.

Foley, my wife grew up about an hour up the M40 from you in Leamington Spa!

13. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Interesting :) I've never been there, mind.

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Not much to see...Warwickshire and Conventry were more interesting. I liked Kent a lot. We are hoping to visit the Lake District on our next trip.

15. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Oh, you went ooop North :) South is best :lol:

16. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

My wife's Godparents live in Tunbridge Wells. I Like that area a lot. We tried to book a trip over this summer as the Tour went straight through Tunbridge, but with two kids, airfare was just a killer!

17. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Went to the fitness center after work, and while I kept it short, it felt great! I really need to put together an organized lifting plan. I started out with 30 minutes on the elliptical and kept the weights minimal as I'll be doing a long session on my home gym tomorrow night.
    so here's my first dail food exercise post:

Food
    one slice of wheat toast with peanut butter and honey
    two bananas
    one lean cuisine fiesta chicken dinner (I know...)
    two apples
    one wheat tortilla with ham, mushrooms, scallions, lettuce and red peppers
    one handful of almonds

Exercise
    30 minutes elliptical
    military press 3x10 @45, 55, 60
    dumbell curls 3x10 @ 25, 30
    kneeling bent row (don't know the real name, one knee and one and on the bench pulling the dumbell upwards towards me) 3x10 @ 55
    lat pull down 3x10 @ 60, 65, 70

I feel good, but think I am cheating myself on the weights. I need to study the forums and put together a good three day a week weight training plan.

Feels great seeing my day on the screen. While there is much room for improvement in diet and exercise, I am so happy to be typing this instead sitting in front of the tv, grouchy and drinking a beer.

18. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

oh, duh... I also took a 6 mile bike ride with the kids when I got home from work.

19. specialk

Nice going, I hope you had fun with the kids.

If you plan to work out only 3 times a week might I suggest a full body routine?

20. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Full body makes sense. Especially since I will be running or cycling two days, I could probably skip the elliptical and go straight to the iron. For me, a typical week would be (ideally)

Monday - Weights
    Tuesday - cardio
    Wednesday - Weights
    Thursday - cardio
    Friday - off or weights
    Saturday - off or weights (depending on Friday)
    Sunday - Cardio

Cardio will be cycling 2 times a week, one ride of 30-40 miles on Tuesday and Sunday would be a long one, 50-100 miles depending on my condition (gradually ramping up). I will run as a last resort. I enjoy running up to 5k but lose interest after that. Cycling is a passion of mine.

In SpecialK (or anyone's opinion), how many exercises should chest, legs, back, shoulders, arms get in a full body work out? wow, my noobness with weights is really shining through! I know enough to work the large muscles of the group first (for instance, squats first on leg routines), but I"m pretty clueless after that.

Well, 10:00. Going to grab 7.5 hours of sleep and hopefully get in a 3 mile run before work.