1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need to eat carbohydrates?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by patbox, Sep 28, 2009.

1. patbox

patbox Active Member

During summer I lost a lot of weight due to jogging, and now I have my 6-pack again. Next, I would like to gain some muscles with weights training.

I designed my diet to eat about 200g of protein each day. I basically eat chicken, beans, milk, protein poweder, shrimps, eggs white, chees, yogurt. My diet is rich in protein, but I do not eat carbohydrates rich food (no chocolage, no rice, no bread, no potatoes), to keep the callories count down.

So I basically try to eat 200g protein, but keep at around 2000/2500 callories per day, to keep my 6-pack (at least marginaly).

Can I gain muscles this way? I saw some people saying/writting that to gain muscle mass I need to eat also carbohydrates and even in certain proportions.

Could you please comment and advise me in this regard?

2. Sent

Sent Well-Known Member

You shouldn't eliminate a whole macronutrient from your diet (in the long term).

3. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

If you are drinking lots of milk and eating things like beans and yogurt, you're probably getting more carbs than you think. Also, if you are eating 200 grams of protein each day, that only consists of 800 calories from protein. The remaining 12-1700 calories has to come from somewhere.

If you are trying to gain muscle, there is a good chance that 2000 calories a won't be enough to add mass. You'll probably have to raise your calories significantly, which would be difficult to do without carbs.

I would suggest documenting everything you eat for a few days and figure out exactly how many grams of carbs you are consuming on a daily basis.

4. George

George Senior Member

:tucool:

To add to this, I don't feel that the route you're taking is healthy. Carb rich foods have a ton of important compounds in them and should be a part of your diet. Like all of the other macronutrients, they won't magically make you get fat unless you eat them in excess.

5. patbox

patbox Active Member

Thank you a lot guys. I am just realizing that if I eat 2000 calories a day, that is just enough to give me the energy for the day. So if I want to grow some muscles I would need to eat some more calories.

So what do you recommend is the calories intake in muscle growing phase?

Out of a blue I would go for 3000 calories. As for the carbs you are right, I need to add some good carbs like rise, or bread, a bit to get me the energy for the day and sport, and leave the proteins for building up the mass.

Would this be reasonable?

6. George

George Senior Member

This can vary a lot from person to person. If I were you, I would add about 100-200 calories per day for a week and see whether you gain anything. If not (probably not) repeat this step until you do. So basically:
    1) increase calories by another 100-200/day for a week.
    2) Check progress.
    3) Repeat step 1 if you don't see gains.

You might find that you need a whole lot of calories to get the scale moving, but it might turn out that your metabolism is on the slow side.

7. patbox

patbox Active Member

That is reasonable. However, how do I check the progress in a week? If I weight 79 today and in a week I weight 80 is this a progress? I worry about putting on fat rather than muscles. So how much muscles can I put on in 1 week or 1 month?

8. George

George Senior Member

This too is going to vary a lot between people. It also depends on how much fat you're comfortable with gaining. A half pound a week might be something to shoot for at first.
    I would also keep track of a some body measurements. If your arms and chest are getting bigger, but your waist is staying roughly the same size, you're doing good. :)

9. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

In addition to body measurements, it's a good idea to keep track of what you lift on weekly basis. You want to make sure that all the additional calories are fueling progressive workouts. Each week you should be adding weight or reps. If you're adding mass, but your lifts are staying the same, then you need to evaluate what's happening.

10. patbox

patbox Active Member

That is a good idea. I will measure all my sizes :-)

How much fat I am comfortable with? I have a six pack :-) so not much!!!

11. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

I would suggest a slow bulk, I also dont believe you have to gain much fat. Centre your carbs in the morning and around your workout. Dont mix them with fats. Give 100% to your workouts, and fuel yourself for those. Check your lifts are going up either in reps or in weight every week. If you struggle, add a few cals. I believe it doesnt take much to gain some muscle slowly but surely, which is the best way.

Have fun.

12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

You sound like you've completely stepped over fat. Please do not discredit fat. If you have lowered or eliminated your carbs you should consider bumping up your fats. Carbs are not essential (the human body will compensate through a slightly more inefficient process of gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis). Protein and fats are essential.

Eliminate carbs and the body will compensate and adapt. Eliminate Protein or fats and you run the risk of some nasty diseases. Can you gain mass without carbs? Absolutely!

The bigger question you should ask is, is it optimal and is it healthy (mentally and physically)? Well, that can only be answered by trial and error. For some people it is, for others, not so much. It usually depends on your body, activity level and ability to handle carbs.

Quality Protein is probably your most costly (expensive) macro (just look at the price of whey, chicken and lean beef and you know right away that it adds up quickly).

Are you just looking to walk around beach ready? Then don't deny yourself the enjoyment of moving some of those macros into the occasional carb (good or bad). If you are dieting for some sort of show or calendar, that's a different set of rules.
    BTW, never eliminate veggies. Too many good vitamins and minerals to leave those off your plate.

Good luck.

#12 Gordo, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. Azure

Azure Active Member

If you're trying to bulk, absolutely eat carbs.

Carb restriction or carb recycling only has a point when you're trying to cut or lose fat.