1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

dluc's space

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by dluc, Dec 21, 2006.

1. dluc

dluc Active Member

Well, exams are finally over for the term, so I figured I'd start up a journal:D I've been wanting to since I joined, but I thought that I might waste a lot of potential studying time on it. Anyways, I just wanted to start by giving a big thanks to the all the great members of JSF - this site has helped a lot this year and I can't express enough thanks.

A little background on me:
    My name is Daniel, I'm 21 and currently studying at the University of Waterloo up here in Canada(I can't wait to graduate - I hate cramming for exams). I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, and I finally decided to do something about it.

I did some reading and research and like a lot of other people, it started off pretty rough. I didn't know it at the time but I was undereating. I was roughly 215 lbs when I started, and I was eating only about 1600-1800 calories a day. All clean foods, but just not enough of them. From January 23, 2006 to April 17, 2006 I went down to about 165 lbs. The weight loss was great, but I still wasn't all that happy with the way I looked. As you can see from the pics below, I was still flubby and didn't have much muscle mass on my body. So, I decided to bulk up while I was back home for the summer. I did this one wrong too:doh:I didn't do too much research on it. Just heard from other guys in the gym that I had to eat eat eat If I wanted to get big. So I did - bloop - by the beginning of the school term I was up 20 lbs in body weight. I did put on some mass, but way too much fat:nono: So since the term started, I've been cutting again, this time with much more food than the initial cut. By this time, I had found JSF and I was reading the forums like it was my job. I'm currently a little under 165 lbs again, and I think I retained most if not all of my lean body mass. The weight loss was much slower this term, but I'm much happier at 165 now then I was in April. I apologize for the excruciatingly long intro:spank: On to the pics:tu:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope those didn't take too long to load :lol: Anyways, I'll be using this journal a daily checklist type thing to make sure I get things done (both fitness and non-fitness related). Still got a long way to go before I attain the physique I want. I plan on starting a bulk at the beginning of the next term (early January).

Welcome to my world, thanks for stopping by:) Feel free to say anything you want in here (as long as it's in line with forum rules of course:whistle:)

#1 dluc, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  2. George

George Senior Member

That's one of the most impressive transformations on this site. You deserve some major props.

PS: Where did you get a tan in the middle of winter in Canada?

OK, some actually legitimate questions:
    Did you have prior experience with weight training?
    What are your workouts like?

#2 George, Dec 21, 2006
  3. dluc

dluc Active Member

Thanks Goerge! Everybody that has seen the pictures asks that same question:lol: I think it might just be a lighting difference at the time the pictures are taken. If you notice, my wall is never the exact same colour. I try to take progress shots at the same time of day, but sometimes I sleep in, or have to run to class. I apologize for the inconsistencies in the photos - I got a new camera in the middle of the transformation, and I had to move the camera spot a bit as well at some point.

I post, then you edit, now I edit:lol:

From the ages of 18-20, I did maybe a total of 4-5 months of weight training. I just went with my roommate on and off. I was never consistent, and never pushed myself. I'd get sore and complain, go home and eat a donut or something. I only started to train consistently when I started everything in January. At that point I was doing a 4 day upper/lower split. Currently I'm doing a 5 day split - something along the lines of:

Back and traps:
    4x6 conventional deadlifts
    3x8 bent over rows
    2xfail wide grip pullups (I can get about 7-10)
    2xfail close grip chinups (again, about 7-10)

2x12 barbell shrugs
    2x12 reverse barbell shrugs

Chest and abs:
    4x6 weighted chest dips
    3x8 flat db press
    3x8 incline db press

2x12 hanging knee raises
    supersetted with
    2x25 crunches

Quads and hamstrings:
    2x15 quad extensions for warm up
    4x6 back squats
    4x10 leg press
    2x12 heavier quad extensions

2x15 lying hamstring curls for warm up
    3x8 romanian deadlifts
    3x8 db lunges
    2x15 heavier lying hamstring curls

Shoulers and calves:
    4x6 barbell military press
    3x8 dumbbell military press
    3x8 cable side delt raises
    supersetted with
    3x8 bent over cable rear delt raises

2x25 seated calf raises
    2x25 standing calf raises

Triceps and biceps:
    4x6 weighted tricep dips
    3x8 decline lying tricep extenstions

4x6 barbell curls
    3x8 reverse barbell curls

I'm planning on switching up the exercise selection next term though. Going to keep it as a 5 day split with most of the major compounds still in there (will be taking flat bench out and focus on incline).

Thanks again for the kind words.

#3 dluc, Dec 21, 2006
  4. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Great transformation, dluc! You have an excellent frame to put more mass on. :nod:

Good luck! :gl:

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Dluc my friend, I have been more and more impressed with you over the last few months just from your posts alone. This journal and your pictures have taken my respect for you to a new level. What an impressive transformation!

Great job buddy! :bow:

6. EliteTraining

EliteTraining Active Member

Dluc, its about time we got to know the man behind the name...I was always curious about you, I guess because we joined JSF at the same time...Fantastic job man

7. dluc

dluc Active Member

Thanks Chic:D I read a lot of your posts while picking out my routine this term:nod:

GTX, you'll never know how much you helped me just by helping others in the forum. I'd say my transformation was about 40% nutrition, 10% weight lifting and 50% your posts. Thanks for the help and for the kind words:tu:

Glad I could fill you in about myself Elite:lol: I wanted to start the journal right when I joined, but I was afraid it would take up the little time that I allot for school:read: I guess when the term starts up in a couple weeks I'll be in trouble:blank: Anyways, sorry for the delay on the journal, and thanks for stopping by.

8. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Hello my friend....finally...your journal!!!!!
    Im subscribing!
    What an AWESOME transformation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tu:

9. dluc

dluc Active Member

Thanks Maya! Didn't know people were waiting for a journal:blank: Sorry it took so long. You see it's already taking up way too much of my time:bang: I'm kidding I'd be on the forums anyways:rolleyes:

I should head to bed though. If there's one thing that has never been consistent from the start, it's my sleep. Either because of school, or out of wack sleep schedules(as a result of school). I probably only average about 6 hours of sleep on a good night:blank: I had 3 exams this past week and only got about 18 hours of sleep between the 4 days. Not good at all for my development:spank:

Sleep over the next two weeks will be great though. Going home tomorrow for the holidays and some quality family time. I've already called home and asked mom to prepare some delicious food upon my return (first cheat meal since mid November:spaz:). I still have to get an arm workout in tomorrow - with that workout, I will have made it through the entire semester without missing a shift at the gym, and that's something I attribute a lot of my progress to.

First couple of things I wanted to add to my checklist on here:
    -Enjoy being at home with family:)
    -Eat lots and lots of dirty dirty bad food:eat:(I don't encourage this to be done by others).

G'night people.

10. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Same here... lately I've been running on 5-6 hrs of sleep max :spank:

11. Jayce

Jayce Active Member

Damn, you are looking mean my friend, nice transformation, what is your daily meal plan, i have pretty much the same frame as you but i have a little more muscle mass and was wondering since im having a somewhat troublesome time with picking what with what.

Awesome!!!:claplow:

12. Black-Dawn

Black-Dawn Well-Known Member

Wow.

I'm particularly impressed with the April and December pictures @ ~165lbs. Put those two side by side and
    You'll be the new poster boy for losing fat and gaining lean mass rather than just losing weight.

:tu:

Shahar.

13. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey dluc. Most impressive. Now you're not just the man with the unbelievable calves. You've got the total package. I am also blown away by the April/December comparisons at the same weight. You've done a great job bro.:tu:

14. dluc

dluc Active Member

It's rough isn't it. Sometimes it's so hard to get out of bed because the sleep feels so good...:sleep:

Hi Jayce, thanks! My daily meal plan as of late consisted of:
    100% Natural Peanut Butter
    Almonds
    Apples
    Bananas
    Beef (mostly top round or top sirloin)
    Broccoli
    Canned Tuna
    Chicken Breasts
    Cottage Cheese
    Egg Whites
    Eggs
    Flax Oil
    Oats
    Olive Oil
    ON Casein Protein Powder
    ON Whey Protein Powder
    Romaine Lettuce
    Spinach
    Sweet Potatoes
    Whole Wheat Bread

Calories started out this term at about 2600 and im currently taking in about 2300+ at 160lbs. Ratios are approximately 45:30:25 protein:carbs:fat. I'll be making changes in January - Switching out ON Whey with Nitrean, adding in grapefruit (as per GTX), possibly some fish oil, and a lot of brown rice:eat: I will post more detail along with a meal by meal break down as I finalize the plan.

Thanks Shahar:D As I said, I feel a lot better at the new 165. In april I was happy with the weight loss, but I wasn't happy with the way I looked. I definately wasn't eating enough to support my activity level:spank:

Carguy, it's an honour to have you in here. Thanks for the compliments. Now I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but from April to December, my posing also improved quite a bit:lol:

Well I have to make up some pre-workout food before I hit the gym. On the menu is 2 cups of eggwhites with a 3/4 cups of oats and some banana. It's a lot of eggwhites, but I have to finish 4 cups within the next 6 hours because I'm going home for two weeks and they expire December 6:blank:

I'll update in a bit.

15. eleonardo

eleonardo Well-Known Member

wow

I'll post more later on when I stop drooling over your transformation

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hmm.....:evil:

Nope. I'll just say ditto to what 1FastGTX said.

Clearly, you've done a lot of research and absorbed a lot of information to get to where you are. I consider you to be a very valuable part of these forums.:tu:

Great transformation.:claplow:

17. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Dluc - I have seriously looked for a journal by you at least 3 times in the last couple months, thinking maybe I had just missed it and you did not update very often...glad to see you actually made it a reality and started a journal.

I think with the caliber of input I have seen you give across the boards I assumed you must have a journal, but have been dissappointed until now that you did not...I wanted to hear how you got those damned cows you have in your avatar!

Well I hopped on JSF this morning to get some motivation for hitting the gym today as I am feeling a bit undermotivated, and I am glad your journal was here because I have been inspired and I am outta here to hit the weights!

18. duggydee

duggydee Well-Known Member

Very Nice

Hey dluc,

Very impressive indeed. I have a similar physique to the one you started with, but with a tad more muscle mass. Any advice on how you lost the weight over those first four months? I'm currently lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio 6 days. HIT on lifting days, LISS on non lift days. I'm losing some inches as my clothes are fitting better, looser. However, that damn scale is still saying 228. I think it's a lying bastard.

anyway, have a great holiday and, once again, great transformation.

DD

19. dluc

dluc Active Member

:lol: Never had a man drooling over me before...Not too sure how I feel about it. Thanks I guess ahaha.

Guava, thank you for stopping by. I too consider you to be a one of the most inspiring members on the forums. While the majority of people struggle to find the quick solutions, you have shown that slow and steady wins the race. I can only wish to find half the balance that you have managed in your transformation:bow:

Ryan, thanks a lot for dropping in. Geez, I really had no clue so many people were waiting for a journal:doh: Sorry for the delay I guess:D
    I like to attribute my calves to walking around for over decade while being fairly obese. Your last point really made me glad I did all this. If I can inspire people to do things, then I'm a happy man. Hit those weights hard buddy:bb:

20. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hi Duggydee:) If there was one thing I could recommend, it would be not to follow my first 4 months. Sure, I lost 45lbs, but do you want to be the skinny fat guy? I made the mistake of under eating for my activity level. I was performing a 4 day split in the weight room, and fasted cardio 5-6 days a week. My caloric intake was between 1600-1800 calories:nope:

These last 4 months, I've been doing a 5 day split in the gym, performing no cardio, and eating anywhere between 2300-2600 calories. I've only lost 20lbs this term compared to a loss of 45lbs last term, but I can say with confidence that the weight loss this term was mostly, if not all, fat.

Another thing I would recommend is not to get too caught up with the number on the scale. I know it's hard, but take the scale weight with a grain of salt. What's more important is how you feel and how you look in the mirror (at least in my opinion). If you look better today at 228 than you did yesterday at 228, then what's the problem;) If you take pictures of yourself over the transformation, it definately helps to see progress when the scale isn't being friendly.

Thanks for coming by, and good luck!