1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

District 9

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by witeowl, Aug 18, 2009.

1. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

F*CK YEAH!!!

Just had to get that off my chest.
    If you haven't seen this movie yet, you darned well better get over to a theater NOW.

2. wisedude

wisedude Active Member

That was a mind blowing movie. Admittedly, the character development wasn't fantastic. At the end I didn't feel like i really knew the characters... But the story was novel and brilliant, and the action was incredible

3. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Yeah, I loved it for the well done plot/subplots, the political statements (and questions), the action, and the effects (wow!), but there really wasn't much character development. Not even any character growth to speak of, really. (Maybe that was the point?) Additionally, there wasn't really one point at which I "liked" the main character. But the rest was outstanding, so I can forgive those flaws.

Oh, and not that this was the goal, but it succeeded more than once in getting me to put down the popcorn... just lost my appetite...

(What is in cat food, anyway?)

4. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I was disappointed. But I did appreciate that at least I wasn't watching some rehash or stupid sequel for a change!

I was hoping for more Childhood's End and less umm.. less... I'm not sure exactly.

/edit: A ha! Less Outer Limits 90's remake.

5. Necross

Necross Active Member

Just watched it today:whistle:. The movie was really good :D. Anyone hoping for a sequel?

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

No. Everything doesn't need to wrap up perfectly for me.

7. witeowl

witeowl Active Member

Hoping? No. I'm not sure where it could go other than typical action movie tripe.

Expecting? Kinda. There clearly is a set-up, isn't there?

8. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

I think District 10 is inevitable...the movie only cost 30 mil to make and has gone on to reap so much more (+100 mil and climbing).
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=district9.htm

They've given us something that "looks" like it cost so much more. Combine that with a decent sci-fi story and you have a shoo-in for a part deux. I'm guessing if they get Neill Blomkamp again, we will see something that will likely challenge HALO (if that ever gets off the ground). Since the likelihood is bigger is better, they'll go for full on ACTION and the subtle things that make the movie so interesting in concept will be lost. I'm speculating and hoping I'm wrong.

Avatar has large shoes to fill, if it plans to live up to the photo-real Cameron has been promising in interviews. The trailer suggests otherwise.

9. TonySoprano

TonySoprano Active Member

I am not a big sci fi guy but I really did enjoy this movie

and there has to be a district 10! lol

10. euan

euan Active Member

I liked it. I'm surprised to read that it only cost $30m!