1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Digital media player advice sought

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by zenpharaohs, Mar 9, 2007.

1. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Any good pointers to sites or advice about how to organize media files between a computer and a media player? I have an Archos 604, and Windows Media Player makes a complete mess of where it puts podcasts on the Archos, when those were already well organized on the host computer? The Windows Media Player works well at converting things, but some things it appears to have converted into three different identical files, using triple the space on the Archos.

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Don't everyone rush at once.

3. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

My wife and I are debating which software to use also. I've been using Windows Media Player but there has to be something better. A friend of mine is a DJ, and he uses a powerful mixing software that looked really awesome when he showed it to me. I'll ask him what it is and report back.

4. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

I use Itunes b/c my phone has an MP3 player with IPOD software. It works alright, but I wouldn't call it great by an means.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not sure what features you require, but I've been happy with the capabilities of Musicmatch Jukebox to manage my files. I don't know if it does anything that your current applications don't do, but check it out:

http://www.musicmatch.com/home.htm

"...Musicmatch Jukebox 10 is our favorite for music lovers looking for the most robust audio manager." Reprinted from PC Magazine, Dec 8, 2004, with permission. Copyright © 2004 All Rights Reserved.

Winner of PC Magazine Editors' Choice Award - seven times in a row!

6. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

All I know is the more I use I-tunes the more it pisses me off.

Can't restore , no file found, and on and on....sorry for that ....whew!

7. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Actually that might be good, and, I have a lifetime subscription to that. The main question is what it will do with podcasts. WMP gets confused by the inconsistent tags that podcasters put on their files and isn't smart enough to leave them in the directories (aka folders) where Juice has sensibly deposited them. So I get them strewn across my library with all sorts of "guesses" as to "artist", "album", etc. It's not conceivable to me that nobody at Microsoft uses Juice. So this dumbass behavior is probably for a "reason".

I'll go check Musicmatch; I used that for years.

8. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I completely believe you. I am "Apple free" for over twenty years now. I found this site:

www.anythingbutipod.com

and my reaction was "now THAT was predictable".

I just checked for:

www.anythingbutzune.com

and the domain is parked. I wonder how long that will last.

9. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Turns out my DJ friend uses Music Match, but spent a lot of time naming and tagging his files and used some tricked out skins and add-ons.

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Zen, how about you just batch change the genre tags on the podcasts? Would that help organize? I'm not that familiar with the Archos stuff.

I like players that I can just use explorer with, but unfortunately, if you use playforsure songs like I do with my Yahoo subscription, you have to put the player in a mode where that becomes problematic.

Also, why would you let WMP do a conversion of a podcast? It should already be in mp3 format. I'd just cut the conversion function of WMP off.

11. hatter

hatter Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member