1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Diet/Fitness Software

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Dorvaan, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing either FitDay or Calorie King software to assist me in tracking my activity and diet. Has anyone had any experience with either of these pieces software? What is better, in your opinion?

2. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

In my opinion, DietPower is far superior to both. Those two softwares can track calories and have a database, but their recommenations to lose weight, etc are based on equations. In other words, we could have 100 people with the same gender, height, weight, etc, and these programs would spit out the exact same calorie requirements.

DietPower, on the other hand, allows you to track your weight and exercise and then compares this to your food intake and adjusts your metabolism REAL TIME. In other words, if you have a faster or slower metabolism, it automatically adjusts the budget to keep pace so you are ALWAYS on track for your goal. It's what I use to reach single digit body fat and it works like a charm each time.

Jeremy

3. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

How much is this software? (Dietpower)

4. Dorvaan

The software looks to be 49.99, if you choose to download it.

Thanks for the advice, Jeremy. I'll definitely check it out, and let you know what I think.

After checking this software out, I'm not sure where you are talking about that it updates everything in real time regarding metabolism....Could you explain?

#4 Dorvaan, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  5. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

The software provides a budget. At the start, this is based on an equation. However, as time progresses, the budget changes based on your metabolism. For example, let's say all of the equations show you should lose 1 pound per week at 2000 calories. Of course, we know this doesn't work because people do this and they lose more or less or anything in between. So let's say you maintained your weight. DietPower would learn that you are actually operating from a slower metabolism, and would lower your budget to adapt. So what started as a 2000 calorie budget would drop to a 1500 calorie budget and if the estimate of your metabolism was 2500 it would drop to 2000 based on the real-world feedback.

Jeremy

6. Dorvaan

Excellent! I wish I could combine the features of each into one super program. I love the charting of FitDay, the ENORMOUS database of foods in Calorie King, and the intelligence of DietPower. Now, if someone would just combine all three... hehe

7. Detonate

Detonate Well-Known Member

I've been using some software called Fitness Assistant it sounds a lot like the ones discussed in this thread.

It has a large database of foods, the ability to track exercise, or even extra activities like playing basketball, and to my surprise SCUBA diving was already in the database.

It also changes your calories required to reach your goals based off of your measurements and weight.

-jim

8. QuikZ06

QuikZ06 Well-Known Member

I myself also use DietPower. I would fully recommend it also. Just be aware that it is very erratic for the first 2 weeks to a month, due to it "Learning" your met. rate.

9. Malikai

Malikai Well-Known Member

I was looking for something too, problem with dietpower is it isn't metric so I'm not getting it. Going to check out the fitday trial tonight it looked like it had metric stuff in from the screen shots.

10. raskew

raskew Well-Known Member

Have any of you guys tried "Crosstrainer" You can download it for free and try it out for a month. Seems to me to have everything you would need.

11. LeftNut

LeftNut Well-Known Member

I have been using BodyfitDB for a few months, and it's ok--once you get used to it. Some improvements need to be made, but I think it's the best I have tried yet. I think you can do a free trial.

I downloaded and played with DietPower last night, and I don't really like the fact that it only focuses on bodyweight. I didn't see any references to BF%, just plain weight-related goals.

12. reanimated838uk

reanimated838uk Well-Known Member

Anyones simply with a nutritional logging and calculating capability? I just want to put what i eat in, add my custom foods and work out intake, and macros.

EDIT: whoops that should start with "Anyone know a simple nutritional..."
    must have doozed off. :lol:

13. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Fitday.com is a free web based way to do that.

14. anYgorHere

anYgorHere Well-Known Member

I've tried quite a few. I'm pretty dang good at Excel (have to be as a financial analyst) - but after building reports all day for my 8-5, I figure it would be nice to be able to use a program to track everything. I looked at freeware, but the templates available here at JSF are more useful, IMO. If you're thinking about software, defnitely try out the free trials of a few programs and expect to shell out $20-$50. I think it's worth it.

Anyways, I started with Diet Power - it's a really good program. I liked it's goal setting features and super ease of use. However, in tailoring the goals it's limiting in it's Macronutrient calculations. I couldn't enter simply 40-40-20 or something like that and have it come out right. Everytime you update a value, it adjusts the other two to have the total come out 100. Also avoid agreeing to recieve any emails from them. They send a 'newsletter' every day that never says anything worth reading.

I then tried out Diet Pro as a replacement. It was pretty good - but still a work in progress. A new version is in the works and should be released soon. The developer takes suggestions on his site, so if he incorporates those, it stands to be very good.

FitDay is what I'm currently using. So far, I like it. I just reformatted my machine, so I haven't used it much. Setting up my status and goals seemed great, and the price was much cheaper than others I looked at. My biggest grip is that it leaves out Sugars! The food database, nutritional goals - there's no Sugar information in any of that. I think that's very strange and not sure why that's missing.

I just downloaded Crosstrainer, thanks to the post earlier in this thread (I wasn't aware of it). I'm checking out the trial version here at work, and it looks fantastic. I'll have to dig in it to get a better idea - but thanks for the suggestion! It exports data into .txt files, so the reports it doesn't appear to be able to print/generate I can make in Excel.

I may actually get a few of the major packages out there and do my own comparison over a month period or so. It would be interesting to see how they differ when tracking the same information.

This link shows a load of the programs out there.
    http://www.freedieting.com/diet_software.htm

15. reanimated838uk

ah but it works with cups and oz's and I prefer working in grams. I tried to create an excel based but theres just to much hassle involved with formula creating and lacks a lot of stuff.

16. anYgorHere

anYgorHere Well-Known Member

Try the FitDay PC version. It lets you enter your ratios and can use grams for custom foods. For $20 - it defintely saves time and looks better than doing it in Excel. Unfortunately, I don't think they offer a free trial version.

17. Dorvaan

Yeah, I ended up getting FitDay PC. It is an excellent bit of software, IMO. Does everything that I want it to do. My only con is that I wish the food database was a bit bigger.

18. reanimated838uk

I'm thinking of getting fitday pc version. Just a few questions if you dont mind.

For the database of food is it updateable?
    Im assuming the database is mainly american brands/products. Is there a way to convert the cups to grams for these?
    Is there a way to seperate the meals so I can see how much calories is in one meal than the other and its ratio between fat, carbs and protein, rather than one big list, and then the general ratio percentages?.
    Can you add the time you eat each meal?.

Thanks.

19. Dorvaan

The database is updatable in the fact that you can add your own custom foods.

When you enter a food into your log, you can say that you ate so many grams instead of ounces, for example. The data will update automatically.

As for the meals, there are multiple ways you can do this: In your food list, you have a favorites list, which you can add foods to as you go to make them easier to find. Well, in this list, you can also add folders to organize your favorites. You could put all the indredients from one meal into that folder. Or, you could manually add up everything in the meal (outside of the program), figure out the calories, carbs, fat, etc., and then enter that as its own "food" into the database. Then you could select just one thing to enter an entire meal. This is what I have been doing for meals that I know I will be having on a regular basis.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

20. reanimated838uk

:tu: cheers. I'll order it when I can get some money. Thanks.