1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Diet critique please

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by cwbolton, Feb 27, 2012.

1. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

Off days Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday:
    Meal 1:
    Egg whites: 3
    Whole eggs: 3
    Spinach: 1 cup
    Salsa: ½ tbsp.
    Peanut butter: 2 tbsp

Meal 2:
    Green tea
    Whey protein: 2 scoops
    Oats: 50g
    Semi skimmed Milk: 8oz

Meal 3:
    Chicken: 8-10 oz
    Spinach salad: 1 large
    Trail mix: ½ Cup

Meal 4:
    Chicken breast: 8oz
    Avocado: ½
    Green tea: 1 cup

Meal 5:
    Black beans/kidney beans: 1 cup
    Ground beef: 10-12 oz
    Green beans/Broccoli: 1 cup

Meal 6:
    Water 10-12oz
    Peanut butter: 2tbsp

Training days Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday:

Meal 1:
    Egg whites: 3
    Whole eggs: 3
    Spinach: 1 cup
    Salsa: ½ tbsp.

Meal 2:
    Apple
    Coffee: 8oz
    Water: 8oz
    Peanut butter: 2tbsp

Meal 3:
    Beef: 8-10 oz
    Green beans: 1 cup
    Broccoli: 1 cup
    Green tea: 1 cup
    Meal 4:
    Oats: 1 cup
    Coffee: 8oz

TRAINING SESSION:
    2 Bananas: Eat small bits 15 mins into workout

Meal 5:
    Sweet potato: 1 large
    Chicken: 10-12oz
    Bell pepper: 1

Meal 6:
    Water: 10-12oz

im about 175lbs now at 5 foot 10, looking for a sort of body recomp where ill add a little size but mainly loose fat. It is possible in the state im in as i used to have much more size at this weight and less fat before i stopped training a year ago

I'm just looking for some guidance on this and if you feel i should add/remove something then please say. Currently doing stronglifts 5x5 strength training program 3x a week

All the best
    Chris

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

How many calories are you eating on training and non-training days? And what is the macro nutrient breakdown?

3. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

according to fit day the macro break down works out at round 35% fat 40% protein and 25% carbs on non training days and 40% protein 30% fat 30% carbs on training days, its a slightly adapted version of bodybuilding.com's 100 dollar diet which seems quite unorthodox to me and a few people have said the same, as for calories it works out at around 2000 give or take 200

I was a 'hard gainer' last time i properly trained and weighed 140 lbs, thats not the case anymore so all of my old techniques which helped me gain weight etc are not applicable anymore so overall i'm just a bit lost and worried about weither or not im doing the right thing

Thanks

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

That looks alot more than 2000-2200 calories. To attain your goal will be difficult but you have to keep improving on your lifts with poundages used. Establish what your maintenance is, then begin cycling calories either on a daily basis, or where you are eating more than baseline for a couple of weeks, then eating below baseline for a week or two, then one week of eating at maintenance. Another option would be to cycle your calories on a daily basis. For example, if you needed 2200 calories a day, and ate 2200 calories a day for the week, you will have consumed 15,400 calories for the week. A better approach (to potentially reach your goal) is to zig zag calories every day. Something like this:
    MON - 1800 cals
    TUE - 2500 cals
    WED - 2000 cls
    THU - 1800 cals
    FRI - 2600 cals
    SAT - 1700 cals
    SUN - 3000 cals

With the above method you are still eating 15,400 calories per week, however, your higher calorie days are on the days when you weight train and you are in more need of the energy substrates. The lower calorie days are reserved for rest days or for cardio only days, ensuring that you are burning fat as an energy source. I would also lower carbs on these days.

It's a tedious process that takes total dedicationbut can be done. I have many clients who are successful with this, including the current Transformation of the Month winner, Jim Eackes.

5. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

Yeah i follow TSM and it's nice to know that JSF is still going well, i know i'm not an active poster any more as i usually just follow John on facebook but this website will always be the #1 place i come to for advice.

Anyway my maintenance given my activity factor, 3x workout a week plus 2x cardio puts the factor at 1.5 meaning my maintenance works out at around 2,800, the biggest problem with dieting i found is that most of the foods are measured in 'cups' I am English and nowhere here uses this measurement. It is also hard to find the proper conversions, lets take broccoli for example, i've seen 1 cup of broccoli to be 4oz, 8oz and even 16oz which is just no good. As this is a new style of dieting and i never really eat my greens when training (I know i should have) so i don't really know the quantities that i need.

I am dedicated and have been training for on and off for a few years but the goal i had was always bulking due to the fact i was skinny, but circumstances have changed and now i feel i need to cut but i don't just want to cut, just recompose myself so to speak which is why i'm here. The calorie cycling method looks good i did a module on a similar technique when i was in school so know a little about it, should i just change quantities and scale the diet down so the % macro breakdown is the same? Or reduce carbs?

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me it is really appreciated.
    Chris

6. cwbolton

cwbolton Active Member

also i'm finding the preparation a little hard especially cooking 3.6kg chicken, is that too much to be consuming over the course of a week?

Thanks