1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Developing the visable hip-bone look

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by jaybird-15, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

A year ago I showed my granddaughter (now 18) a technique for improving her crunch and toning her belly..I saw her in June and she has the visable hip bone look...it's neat looking..she was already lean..
    She's a runner..

In case some females are interested in this,I will post up the first practice..

Practice 1 is "pulling the vacuum and pop"..I learned this from a yoga master named Richard Hittleman (deceased)..

1..Stand with feet shoulder width and lean over with hands about one inch above your knees..palms facing in..rest palms there..

2..Straighten your back..bend knees slightly and push your butt back a bit..Take several really deep breaths..quieten yourself..

3..Exhale all the air from your lungs (all of it)..and pull your belly in and up..hold..breath fast in shallow breaths..hold this as long as you can..

4..When you have to release,don't just relax your belly.."pop" it out as hard as you can..This is important..and you have to get it down right..

5..Do at least 10 rounds (reps) per day until you get the technique..Of course, 20 reps would be better and will take about 15 minutes..

Your belly will begin to feel different because you are getting control of all the muscles in there..

#1 jaybird-15, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Just curious, but what is the "visible hip bone look"? Is it just the ability to see the hip bone on a person, and if so, isn't that just a matter of having a BMI of about 15?

3. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused:

I would just recommend hip-dominant ab movements and a diet with the goal to reduce the BF% sufficiently low. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish with these methods though.

4. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

Don't take it too serious Chic...:cool:

#4 jaybird-15, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

Let us continue..

Since a toned muscle is in a constant state of partial contraction,that is the goal...Each time you suck your stomach in and up, attempt a tighter pull on the vacuum and pop it out harder..this tightens the visceral fibers and connective tissue..

When you have good form on the exercise, then you will add a front/rear Kegel contraction as you evacuate the lungs and suck in the stomach..for a 10 count..if you do not know the Kegel, run a web search for "Kegel exercises"..do 10 reps..this strengthens the pelvic floor...pull it tighter and tighter each rep..

After you master the exercises, you can introduce them into the crunch..do them with both contractions pulled as tight as possible.take shallow breaths..

Good luck...:gl:

6. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

I think the way to get to the visible hip bone look is to follow the Nicole Ritchie diet: no food, lots of drugs and alcohol. :tucool:

7. kd1

kd1 Active Member

Don't suppose you could post a couple of pics on this? Very keen to give it a try!

8. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

Kd1..

There is one visualization that may help..visualize a string through your navel to your backbone at a slight straight upward angle..when you suck your stomach in..visualize the string pulling your navel up and back to your backbone..

Best regards..

#8 jaybird-15, Aug 2, 2007
  9. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

Kd1..

I cannot believe I found this ..Here's a picture of the starting position..I feel sure that I have not seen this book since my hatha yoga meanderings (1985-1991)..I seldom throw things away..., but they are difficult to retrieve..Haha..

Yoga For Health was published in 1962..that guy could be my age now...I wonder if his waistline is still trim..

I did these every third day..There were a couple of errors in my original post on this as to the execution..but hey KD1 I was posting from memory..go by these instructions,but pull the Kegel..

Edit: I feel very qualified to post on the female forum...I have a wife,2 daughters,and 3 grands..they All tell me what to do..!!

Attached Files:

#9 jaybird-15, Aug 2, 2007
  10. Artemis

Artemis Well-Known Member

It's awesome you dug out the pic. Thanks Jaybird, I'm going to give it a try.

11. jaybird-15

jaybird-15 Active Member

Thanks for that post Artemis...

I have had a lot of reservations about this thread...

A lot of females take to Yoga moves...the studios at the YMCAs here are full of females and they look GREAT..

:tucool:

Edit: I will watch for your posts...Kd1 is my buddy..I posted on her adventure racing post in the beginner's forum...I liked her training program and my suggestions so much that I changed my training program to hers...Ha!

#11 jaybird-15, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Stomach vacuums are a great move but few people do them anymore.

Old-time bodybuilders all did 'em though:

[​IMG]

13. Abby

Abby Well-Known Member

i think this video demonstrates what you're talking about... he starts the stomach exercises around 1:18 (fast forward if you don't want to see the Neti Pot!).

http://www.vimeo.com/111292

14. Donna

Donna Active Member

Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for posting

15. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

I can't help but wonder if that guy feasted on bowls of lead paint chips as a child.

16. kricket1370

kricket1370 Active Member

ROFL. Couldn't have said it better myself.

17. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Ab Vac

Hi

Just incase you are interested, the ab vacuum is in the Body for life book too. I did it for a while and golly gosh did my abs hurt for a couple of days. Not straight away but it is good.

Does take a bit of practise too but once you get the hang of it it is a good one to do .

18. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Hoo, yeah. Doesn't take much of this to make the abs hurt. Starts to work pretty quick, though. I'm seein my hip bones for the first time in my life! :tucool:

19. fitnesssarah

fitnesssarah Active Member

The best exercise for that is to do weighted standing side bends!!! They work great!