1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Determined after turning 50

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by suziat50, Oct 8, 2011.

1. suziat50

suziat50 Member

I have exercised on and off most of my life however after turning age 50, I started weight training 4x a week, changed to a very healthy diet and continue to stay focused. It has been 9 months now and I am so proud of how far I've come.
    Any suggestions or information for women after 50 would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Wow -- It certainly shows. Nice work!

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I agree with my esteemed friend, Joe. Your hard work is evident!

Over fifty women should be concerned about back and spinal health. Women begin to slouch over around this time and eventually osteoporosis can become an issue. Many women over 50 involuntarily begin to round their shoulders forward and slowly begin to resemble Quasimodo once they get into their 60's and 70's. You are certainly ahead of the game, but back training should be prioritized using pull ups, pull downs, rows, and shrugs as a base. Further, the lower back should be worked, as well. Many women do not realize that if they want to avoid the middle age pudge around the mid section and keep a flatter stronger mid section, they must train the lower back. Not just the abs and obliques. Include reverse hypers, good mornings, Romanian Dead lifts (BB or DB) and also use specific stretches like the Cobra (spinal flexion) and the Superman, and Planks. Women over 50 should also take in 1200-1500 mg Calcium per day, either through whole foods, and/or supplementation.

Keep up the great work and welcome to JSF. :)

4. Jsn

Jsn Active Member

Wow! You look smokin' for any age! Congratulations on your commitment to fitness; it's certainly paying off.

5. one1

one1 Well-Known Member

rockin' bod!

6. suziat50

suziat50 Member

beginner competition at 50

Does anyone know of any competitions for Beginners over 50?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated,
    Suzi

7. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

http://thenaturalmusclenetwork.com/OCB/index.htm

I'm a natural pro in this org (OCB) and highly recommend it. I've competed in over 7 sanctions in my 25 years of competitive bodybuilding and the OCB is by far the best. Their drug testing is also very extensive. As a beginner, you would compete in the novice class of the figure classes or bodybuilding classes (don't know which area you'd like to compete in). As a 40+ athlete you can also crossover into the women's Master's class.

Look the entire site over, then click on Schedule for events and their locations.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist you further. :)

8. suziat50

suziat50 Member

beginner competition at 50

Thank you so much for the website, I will check it out!!

Suzi:)