1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Despite all assurances to the contrary, my calves are now too big.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by albaloo, Jan 20, 2007.

1. albaloo

albaloo Active Member

I know everyone says ad-nauseum that women simply cannot become big without using hormones/living in the gym. And I, silly fool that I am, believed them...

My tale of woe: I went from a 5' 3" 117-pound couch potato to a 5' 3" (I'm workin' on it ;) ) 114-pound gym... carrot? Essentially, I go to the gym at least every other day, walk on the treadmill at 3.8mph/3-6deg incline, with ever-increasing jogging spurts of 5mph for at least an hour, do one-legged flamingo exercises, squats, lunges, physical therapy for a college crew-related wrist injury all finished off by stretching (yum. best for last!) until the movie ends.

Tragically, none of my super fantastic knee-high boots fit me anymore. Worse yet, none of the not-so-super-fantastic knee highs at stores zip up beyond mid-calf. What am I to do? Am I doomed to be restricted to either blood, sweat, and treadmills or happy, fashionable feet? Not to mention that I will actually have to spend time/money shopping for bigger calves.

Before you all go berating my shallowness, I should say that if I HAD to choose, I'd go with the treadmill, but I'm hoping one of you knows someone who knows someone who knows someone with a magic wand =) Or who has experienced this.

Standing up, I measure 14" at the widest part. I don't own calipers or know how to use them, but if I stand on tiptoe on one leg there is barely any pinch-able soft stuff. Not even enough for one semi-satisfying pinch.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I feel your pain. Fashion has never been known for it's practicality.

I too, have large calves. Mine are 14.3 inches.:neener: Which is quite large for someone of my frame, 5'5" 118 pounds. However, they were 14.8 inches when I was 12 pounds heavier, so I'm not too bitter about it. I never could wear boots, so this is not news to me. Cowboys boots still fit, cuz I guess cowboys have big muscles.:flex:

I also look ridiculous in leggings.

I got a little bit lost part way through your post. Are your calves bigger than they used to be? Why would you shop for bigger calves if your boots are already too small?

Flamingoes don't have very big calves.

[​IMG]

3. albaloo

albaloo Active Member

haha... guess they don't :lol: flamingos always make me laugh.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my post. My calves are definitely much bigger. I'm not sure how much, because I never thought to include them in my beginning measurements. Probably about 2 inches bigger, because a pair of boots that was too loose only a few months ago is now much too tight to zip up, even though it has an inserted elastic that gives about an inch.

I've looked around and apparently too-tight boots are a much more common problem than I thought. I found a UK-based shoe company that makes boots custom to calf size. They can be found at www.duoboots.com, and they are very pricey.

4. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

Well, I've always had the big calf issue--14-15 inch rice paddy peasant calves depending on body fat percentage. I like to shop for taller boots at Zappos.com. They carry a huge selection of shoes, and they allow you to search for boots with larger calf measurements. ;)

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Can you stretch some of your existing boots out? I know they make stretchers for the regular part of the shoe, but you might be able to get creative by putting progressively more material around something that barely fits in the top of the boot. Maybe sliding multiple socks on something over time.

6. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

You could drop any direct calf work from your workout, and make sure you aren't exerting your calf muscles when you do squats and lunges (keep those feet flat on the ground). Lastly, you can drop the incline (it builds calves) on your treadmill, but be warned that it will also effect the effectiveness of the workout. Doing this will cause your calves to go back down, or at least stay the same, over time.

7. albaloo

albaloo Active Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Besides the loss of the boots (how practical are knee highs anyway?) I've become rather fond my larger calves =) They're stronger and I think they provide better balance for my leg shape.

Thanks for the suggestion about stretching out my existing boots! I wonder if my cobbler would do that for me...