1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Denzalo's beginning of a new life

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Denzalo, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Beginning of a new life.

Hi, my name is Charles. As of 9/10/06 I'm a SWM, 30 years of age.

I weigh around 136 in the nude and I'm 6ft tall. I've never weighed more than 140 in my life. My weight has been the same down to the very pound for years. I'm somewhere between an ecto and mesomorph. To give an idea of the size of my structure, I just measured my wrist to be 6.25" around.

Here it is, Sunday morning at the wee hours and I've not yet been asleep. I've taken soft-tape measurements, I've taken before photos, I'm eager to begin my journal to what I hope leads to a body that will lure the ladies and earn a bit more respect than I've been getting lately.

Powertech Workbench WB-LS is on order, I can't wait to spend the 3-4hrs assembling it. I won't be able to start a routine for awhile yet, but I do have some dumbells to work with and I've been doing push-ups for chest and weighted crunches for abs. I can't really go to the gym because I work from 3pm-3am and usually go to sleep at 6am and wake up at 1:30pm. There's no 24hr establishments where I live, so a home gym is best for me.

I'm in pretty good shape to start a heavy weight routine. The thing I fear is the leg workouts, at the same time I'm excited to finally start getting serious on legs for the first time in my life. I've been feeling results on just doing dumbbell curls, pushups and situps - all upperbody. I can't imagine the level of results I'd get doing a full body routine. I'm confident that I have a capacity for rapid growth. One problem that I forsee is eating enough to bulk.

You'll see in my photos that I have a pretty good starting chest and midsection, perhaps due to my BF%. My arms are small at 13" flexed, probably due to my small bone structure. Having bigger arms will definately improve my look.

One of my goals is to get a 6-pack, but right now there's a layer of fat hiding it. I'm going to have to set aside that goal for now. Bulking up is top priority for me. I'm going to try to work up to the Max-OT routine. It's going to take a lot of caution because I'm pretty strong and I'm not sure how strong my joints and bones are.

Anyway this post was meant to be an intro and a reference point. I'm glad to join the bandwagon to better wellbeing. I'll take any motivation and advice that you can give. Thanks!

Attached Files:

#1 Denzalo, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

What has prompted me to begin.

Ah, there's nothing like wanting to start a routine right now but the equipment isn't here yet! I will use this time to put in some thoughts of my own of my past. I think it's important to write down where we have been. Just in case we've become successful and chose to forget where we have come from. I'm afraid that while I might build a monster body, that I will turn into one in turn. It's easy to do, don't you think? Yes, I'm one of those nice guys that got picked on at school, I was the new kid in 4th grade and on top of that I wear a hearing aid. That label stuck all the way to Junior year, when the kids finally accepted me and left me alone for the most part.

Now the only thing I have to deal with is the comments from adults about my size. "Wow, you're so skinny. You look like you might blow away like a leaf." I heard at the dinner table from my half-sister's new husband a few months ago. My dad and his folks were there at the table too. Then comments from co-workers, "You need to bulk up some." I'll admit that I don't look very "manly" and I think I lose a lot of respect that I darn well deserve. If being manly is having a pot belly like I see on most people, no thanks. They just look at me like I'm a kid or something, and of course being a nice and polite guy doesn't help with gaining respect from quite possibly the people that I don't need respect from. To be frank, it's really getting annoying hearing the same crap over and over, so I'm going to do something about it, just to shut these idiots up. Most of all, I want to do this for ME!

I never heard people talk to fat people about how they need to lose weight. Funny how it's fine to tell me that I'm too skinny.

#2 Denzalo, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  3. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

False alarm!

Yesterday a freight truck came to my house. I was excited that my gym finally came! I go meet the driver and he pops open the back and.. a TV stand? Damnit my TV stand I ordered. What good is a TV stand without my TV, which won't come until mid-October since its a preorder and a hot item. :bang:

The box is 90kg (almost 200 lbs) so we lug it in my house and now today my back is sore. You'd think the driver would have a dolly on hand??

The wait continues... :blank:

4. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

Hey man, I've gotta say you look pretty darn good for starting a bulk. Not much fat on your midsection.

As for waiting for your equipment to show, I'm sure that's excrutiating.

For legs you can be doing split squats and lunges and RDL's with dumbells:)

Maybe you posted in another thread, but what's your eating plan?:eat:
    (I'll go check on that in a minute)

I'm planning to start my first real bulk in a few weeks, so I'm curious to see how it's done:nod:

I think the key to protecting your joints is to not go too heavy so you end up with poor form. Also, John's talked about how he uses a lower weight with a slower cadence to give him a good workout without hurting his joints.

Glad to see you all fired up about improving your body. If you're smart and consistent the results will come.

You're right, it's weird that you can mock people for being skinny, but not for being fat. Everyone's an expert when you're thin: "You need to eat more and gain some weight." But somehow when someone's fat it's like it's a freaking mystery how they got and stay so fat. You never hear people say "Gosh you're fat, I bet your car leans to the left when you get in, you should really push back from the trough a little earlier."

Anyway, I'm pulling for ya:jumping:

5. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Haha, thanks for the post iceweasel! You made me :lol: at the end.

As far as an eating plan goes, I think that is going to be the difficult part for me. I hate to cook. I never use my oven except for baking pizza and taquitos. It's primarily microwave and cold foods. And forget about cooking utensils!

I'll tell you my typical weekday of eating:
    I grab a bowl of cereal the good kinds like granola, grape nuts, mueslix, frosted wheats. I put 2 spoons of flax seed in the cereal with 2% milk and that's my breakfast. Oh plus a multivitamin!

First break at work is a sandwich, made of either beef, ham, tuna and with deli style american cheese, multi-grain bread, and mustard, never mayo. And I drink a bottle of that Lipton's citrus green tea. (used to be mt. dew, I cut that down to 1 can a day)

For lunch I have a frozen dinner, around 300-400 calorie ones. Either a can of fruit or a fatfree yogurt. And to drink I have a powder I mix with water "morning spark" or "power edge" (my attempts to cut down on sugar and carbonated drinks) these still have caffeine though.

For 3rd break it is my junk food break(which I've converted to a good food break later on) but it usually consists of reese's peanut butter cups (good protein!) and other chocolates and a can of Mt. Dew. (this break is my half way pt of the 12hr shifts I work)

At the 8hr mark of work is my 4th break, which means a combo of 2 or 3of the following: cashews, dried blueberries, beef jerky, or popcorn. Another flavored power drink.

At 10hrs is my last break: I'm lucky to have anything left in my lunch box by then and it depends on how hungry I am. I usually get something out of the vending machine and drink water until I get home.

When I get home I usually pop in a minipizza or the like and drink either milk, grape juice or the special vanilla chai tea w/ soy protein. And if I work out, add a whey powder drink with glutamine mixed in, and a vitamin C pill before I sleep.

That might sound like a lot but it isn't really, I never can eat a lot at one sitting, my stomach is too small. It's all small portions and I am on my feet more than 12hrs a day, walking around a machine shop.

When I get serious I do have some whey powder and L-glutamine to use. But I can't see myself getting anything more than that, I do have creatine powder, but like I said I can only eat and drink so much at once!

#5 Denzalo, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  6. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I don't see "too skinny" when I look at your picture, and you don't look unhealthy to me. If the people who were making the comments were women, I would think they were awkward and unsuccessful attempts at compliments to call you skinny. At any rate, I'm sure you will enjoy your bulking adventure!! :nod:

We have to teach you to cook a bit and pack an amazing lunch cooler so your coworkers will look on in awe at the amount and variety of foods you carry!!;) "What *else* have you got in there?" they will say...

7. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Thanks for your compliments. I did flex in my pic, I will work on getting the "proper" before pics up once I figure out where I can put the camera for a good delayed shot.

I'm pretty sure that I'm skinny: my arms are 11 inches relaxed. My legs are under 19 inches. My waist is 32, chest 37. I have a woman's hands at 6.25" wrists and narrow fingers. I wear medium shirts comfortably. It's annoying that whenever I find a cool shirt at a store or when my work is handing out free shirts, there's never any mediums, only large to 4X-large! I knew right there that the fat is better cared for than guys like me. I also bet I've paid more health insurance for the fat more than I have used for myself. In fact I'm way overdue for a doctor visit just for a checkup.

I never said that I was unhealthy. I do try to watch what I eat and I've not called in sick for over 3 years. But my BMI is 18.5 and I'm very close to being classified as "underweight". Most people would guess my weight to be higher than it really is. 136lbs is very light for a guy that is 6ft even. I want bigger arms and stronger legs/back/neck.

I also realize that I have something going for me, I can start bulking right away. It's funny what you said about the big cooler for work. Mine is already big, it is the taller version but that extra space is used for the ice pack that I throw in. It usually is packed at the beginning of the day. Cooking isn't that feasible to begin with. I work 12hr days which also means very little time to workout. I wake up around 1-2pm and go to work at 3pm. I get home from work around 3:30am and eat, rest, and possibly work out. Then I wind down at the computer and it's already 6am, time for bed!

I'm willing to spend the money for the more expensive premade alternatives for the clean bulking.

8. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

The "before" set

Here's the official first set of photos. Bad posture on the middle one. I won't make excuses, my neck juts forward then up like that naturally. I hope that will improve once I fill my small frame out, or at least make it less apparent. My spine and neck bones don't really line up horizontally so I don't know how much that will improve.

My goal is to gain muscle. I'm happy with my level of fitness and strength but at 136 lbs I feel that I have a lot of room to improve myself. Any side effect of gaining about 40lbs of muscle would be gravy in my book! :nod:

Attached Files:

9. Butterflyer

I bet your posture will improve a lot with weight training. :claplow: I've seen that with a lot of people.

I didn't mean to imply that you said anything about being unhealthy-- just when someone calls another person "skinny" I always think they mean unhealthy. Which is why I don't use that word to describe someone unless I think something's wrong. :( But I guess I generally don't use the word "skinny" anyway...

It's good you have the money to get the premade stuff. I have to just do a lot of cooking, usually one of the days or evenings that I have off from other stuff, like Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes Monday night. I just cook a lot of stuff, and freeze and refrigerate. It's a small apartment so it's not the ideal situation for that, but oh well.

Have fun with the new equipment when it comes and :gl:

10. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Yes, the equipment should be coming anywhere from Monday-Wednesday! :claphigh: I'm going to have to buy some weights from Hibbit's soon!

I don't sweat the small stuff, nor do I expect anyone else too. I'm ok with being called skinny because I am, but not for long! People can be skinny and healthy, or they can be overweight and healthy. It all depends on the case by case scenario for each person whether they are healthy or not.

I've been reading your journal, Butterfly, and I must commend you for the trials you've been though to get where you are today. You also have an attitude about you that anyone should adopt when going through allergies and the aches and pains that is part of life. I want to wish you well on your continuing journeys, too. :gl:

There are many other journals that give me nothing but pure motivation and inspiration. Especially ones that started out very heavy and lost it all then put on muscle, I mean wow! Transformation is right! If there's ever a forum community that I'd want to be a long time member of, it'd be this one. I can tell it is full of good people who help each other achieve well being! :tucool:

Lately I've been tired on the weekends, I sleep in 2 extra hours. I've also noticed that I don't eat as well, probably because I don't have breaks to follow like I do at work. I'm going to have to work on that! The fridge being almost empty is mostly to blame, time to go shopping.

For today, this might be the last warm day of the year. Gonna go enjoy it. I don't get to enjoy much sunshine as it is because of my work hours. I'm missing out on all that vitamin D. :whistle:

Edit:

Well I enjoyed the day at a football party. We watched the Huskers lose to USC. I'm not a big fan of football but it was nice to see all the people together and eat chilli, nachoes, veggies and drink some mt. dew while everyone else had their beers. I've had my first drink of alcohol for a few years. It was a shot of homemade brandy, cherry flavored. Tasted pretty close to cough syrup. It was good at first, but had to gag the last part of it down. That's it for me for another 3 years! I had an older woman comment on my stomach, telling me there's plenty of food. I told her right back nicely "I don't ever plan on getting one, I'm happy with my rock hard stomach." I knew she meant well, since almost every guy there had a gut! :lol:

#10 Denzalo, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  11. Butterflyer

Thanks for the well-wishes, Denzalo!:)
    I like reading all the journals here too-- lots of inspiration.

People are very helpful and supportive-- if this was an actual community, I'd buy a house here!:lol:

12. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

A little update

Well I got the weights from Hibbit's. It's a 300 lb. Olympic Barbell Set, with the VTX weights with handle holes in them. I knew I should have driven my older car but I guess my little RX-8 handled it ok. It just never had that much weight in it before. I was worried about the barbell fitting but with the nifty suicide doors and no I-beam in the middle, it was nuttin' but a peanut!

I did hear a loud pop sound and was worried for my suspension but really 300lbs isn't a lot since 2 people weigh that much. I tried to distribute the weights in the back seats and trunk so it wouldn't all be in one spot. I noticed a little bit of rust on some weights when it got moved around someone probably chipped the finish on it. I don't really care though, if it gets bad I have some touch up paint from my car to use it's about the same color, lol.

I also bought the tape measure that John Stone uses, and some calipers. 30 bucks for that dang plastic caliper, gawd, GNC is a ripoff! I tried the calipers out and was freaking out because it kept saying I had almost 13% BF. Then I did a :doh: , I wasn't using the slider pointer thingy! 6% BF, much better, I had guessed 7% before. That seems a bit low, but then my weight is low too, my muscles aren't too shabby so that means less room for fat weight.

Anyway, I'm guessing my home gym will appear Monday or Tues. Damn I should have bought a crescent wrench. And I should have asked that cute girl out at GNC! Maybe next time.

13. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

It's here!

The powertec workbench wb-ls is here and almost all assembled. There's an imperfection preventing me from getting the leg extension put on but I've a got plan to correct it.

I'm excited to say that I've had 2-3 workouts on it so far and even though I'm still in the process of getting used to the machine, I'm very happy with it. I'm so glad it fits in my room, that was a concern.

My worries aren't all over though. I hurt my left wrist at work Friday. I bent my wrist wrong while lifting a heavy load and it popped. I don't think it's serious, I can still move it. It just aches a bit. I have a magnetic band around it now. (not that I believe in them, but it's all I have at the moment). Thankfully I was planning on doing a legs workout lastnight which meant very little wrist-related reps. I did have to use my wrist for gripping the arm for my shrug/calf raise combo but it went well w/o pain. I may have to hold out on the next upper body workouts until I'm healed. :(

So far I have some numbers on the different lifts that I've tried on the bench. These are very rough estimates on what I believe I can start out on before I become more comfortable on what my body can do. As soon as I get my form down and get used to the machine, they should improve. I was able to do 3 sets of about 6-10 each.

Flat Bench Press: 160lbs (felt like my arms gave out before my chest, increase weight?) :spaz: I feel pretty proud about this, I weigh less than 140!

Lat Pull Down: 120lbs (felt intense, I'm lightly sore)

Cable Rows: 120lbs (felt like I used more arms than back, the feet positioning felt awkward, ended up using the fully lowered press arm's handles as foot rests)

Curls: 70lbs (felt awkward on the machine, the handle wobbling in my grip, I'm going to use barbell for this)

Shoulder Press: 90lbs (felt just about right, will try 100 lbs next time)

Shrugs/Calf raises: 160lbs (Seems a bit light but I was really feeling the burn, maybe increase weights and do 2 sets instead of 3)

Triceps: 50lbs (workout seems hard for this weight, was awkward to keep my arms strict, ended up pushing down with whole arm)

Squats: 140lbs (learning the form, not sure on what peg to start at, my legs are parallel at the lowest, I found it hard to start the weight up)

14. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Here's some before and after pics of my workbench. The manual was barely adequate and certainly made it harder than it should have been. Like others have said before, the bags everything was in wasn't even numbered correctly. The bag numbers all started with the letter "A" then a number, whereas the manual had no letters at all!

Attached Files:

15. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Problem solved

Well my bench is all together. I had to drill a hole in the frame to drive back a dimple to fit the leg extension. But other than that, it's all good. I gotta say that even though my wrist still hurts, I'm excited to start blasting my muscles on this thing.

My wrist is getting better, I'm guessing it might be a full week before I get it back to its original state. That's not stopping my from doing some workouts though, I just need to be careful.

I went to walmart and shopped for high protein groceries. I usually shop there at night and this girl sometimes runs the cashier when I check out. We got to be friends after talking about the novel series "The Wheel of Time", we're both avid readers of those. And when she saw all the expensive protein foods, most of it being labelled "Go Lean" this and that, she said that I didn't need to be more lean, haha. Then later she said that at least I don't do what most Americans do, just get fat. I didn't feel like explaining to her that I was bulking up so I just said "Yeah, well it's something I want to stay on top of." I hope to put on some noticable mass so she can see for herself what I meant to do with those groceries!

Well my shipment of "drugs" from Mass Nutrition should be coming in Monday the 25th. I got the BSN protein powder, NO-xplode, and some Nitrix. I think that should be enough to get me started. I still have a 60 inch Sony widescreen on pre-order for mid-Oct. so I need to keep some cash in the ole account, lol. But I know deep down all this is worth it for my health, fitness, self confidence, etc. Can't put a price on all that! Well that should be all the updates for now. You guys have a wonderful week! :D

16. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

An update

For those that are reading this there are some points in this post that invite advice and I would appreciate anyone more seasoned than I to chip in on some input.

Well as of 6am Saturday, my traps are sore (the most sore muscle so far in my venture) and last night was bicep/tricep night. I'm following the Max-OT discipline and my weekly routine is:

Mon: Chest/Abs
    Tues: Back/Lats
    Wed: Bicep/Tricep unless did on Sunday
    Thurs: Delts/Calves/Traps (combine traps/calves in each set)
    Friday: Bicep/Tricep unless did on Wednesday
    Sat: Quad/Hams/Glutes
    Sun: Bicep/Tricep unless did on Friday

Some random thoughts:

The NO-xplode has been hard to get down the taste is so horrible(both grape and orange, I have 2 jars). Perhaps I don't use enough water and it is too concentrated. 3 scoops of the stuff and about 12oz of water.

The Syntha-6 is a bit strong with milk, so I tried it with water, wow what a difference. It's so much easier to get down with plain ole water. Funny thing is, it tastes more like chocolate milk with water than it does with milk.

When I did shrugs and calves I used 210lbs of weight on my powertec gym and alternated sets, worked out well. The back of my traps got all puffy at the end of the workout. That was a very strange experience for me because I've never seen that before, I must have worked them good! It was very heavy and low reps for those.

I flexed and burnt the crap out of my calves but I feel no DOMS today and I'm sure I did more than 5 sets of the things. Perhaps I need to do the calf raises in squat form (standing) rather than deadlift form. But hell, I was sure I worked them good, my feet were straining under the weight and my legs were shaking as I contracted.

I did arms today and man I gained a half inch on the pump. The skin was tight.. It's a good feeling. I had the weights just right, almost could not do the 4th rep on the later sets. I think I need to do a different workout for my triceps instead of the pulldown on the powertec. It feels like I'm not isolating it enough. I really need to get more dumbells. Anywany, my arms are the thing lagging and I really hope to get great newbie gains.

Before I forget, the night I did back exercises, I did some rows and got pretty intense on it and some time later I found scattered blotched redness on my back, across my shoulderblades, they almost looked like 2 lines. I'm not sure this is bad because they faded rather quickly. I must have worked the shit out of my back. The next day I felt only mildly sore, just barely.

When I did delts, my left shoulder kept wanting to rub joints and pop. I can see how many people injure their shoulder. Anyway, what I did on my delts is start with reverse flies front, then middle then back arc while standing. I did them all in succession each set until exhaustion in order to ensure that I was hitting every fiber in the delts. If this is wrong please advise. My delts never felt that sore either.

On leg day later today I think I will plan on doing about 3 sets of squats then 3 sets each of extensions and leg curls. This will hit the max of 9 sets per muscle group and give me a chance to build some strength needed for better squats. I have a hard time starting the rep on the powertec with the bar position so low. Any advise?

I think that's about it for now. Except for the constant gas I've been experiencing sometimes! I pray that I remain patient and devoted.

17. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

I did legs tonight, I wasn't sure what weights to use on the extension and curls but now I have an idea. About 120 for ext and 70 for curl until I feel safe to increase it. Main thing is preventing injury. I can feel my support muscles and tissue struggling and it feels close to pulling or spraining.

I got a great pump in my legs right now. I've never felt this before in my entire life. I think I'm beginning to like this. I think the only thing I don't like is the gaggy N.O. xplode drinks. I'm not even sure if its helping. I used to drink a lot of mt.dew so I may be immune to it. I currently use 3 scoops.. I only weigh 140 too...

Squats are still very hard for me to do. I used 160 lbs on the powertec and gave up after 3 sets. I honestly think that I got the better workout on the curls and extension sets. I'm able to focus on the contraction on those where as squats all you do is stand. I think I just have weak legs so I'm going to stick with my original plan of 3 sets on squats, 3 on extension, 3 on curls. (I did cheat and do 2 more sets of extension because I had more in me and the 40mins wasn't up yet)

Anyway, tmrw is a rest day, then Monday I go at it all over again. I can't wait! :jumping:

18. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Making progress

Well I think I'm making progress, I gained a few pounds. If I had to guess, it'd be about 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks. I don't think my BF% changed all that much of course its hard to check it in that small of an increment. I just hope its a nice clean bulk. I do feel my legs, traps, pecs filling out. The rest I'm not sure yet.

I did legs last Saturday and I still feel some soreness on Wednesday morning. My wrist is slowing getting better. I can pretty much do my workouts without worry. It's just the matter of listening to my body.

When I did my ab workout Monday, I set my bench on decline and placed my legs in the extension with it locked and slapped a 35lb weight on my chest. It's a big weight and almost awkward. I must have done 3 sets of 20+ situps with it. I did 2 sets of twists for the obliques and a set of straight situps. I still need something more challenging and something that won't make my back give out before my stomach does. My abs still had plenty left after that workout.

Anyway, I'm still plugging away. Tonight was back night and I'm not sure I'm doing the rows right because I don't feel the strain on my back. I'm not sure if my torso has to be still while I pull or do I rock back then pull in with arms like I'm "rowing" the boat.

Well, its time to sleep!:sleep:

19. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Man, you're a truly blank canvas waiting to be transformed into art!

Only problems I can see is that you eat like you are cutting. What's your daily calorie intake? What's up with the "junk food break"? Not sure about that for cutting or bulking. Is that Mt. Dew you seem to like diet? It seems you need more lean carbs if you really want to get more mass. Do you have time? If so, consider into plan your diet at fitday.com. Have you read the sticky threads at the beginning of the main forums around JSF? There are a bunch of people around here with very good meal plans for bulking. Posture is also a problem I have. It got better after I started working out.

Good luck! :tucool:

20. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Ah yes, I've pretty much cut out the junk food break and replaced it with real food like jerky, oatbars, nuts and dried fruit. I've even gone a couple weeks without mt. dew except for a couple occasions on my off days. (a feat that I didn't think I would be able to do, I'm proud of myself!)

Actually I am eating more too. I've gained a good 5 lbs since starting a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I'm not in a rush to gain weight, I'm going to creep it up and I may just score some clean bulking points. I'm still in my learning stage for using my powertec but I am getting some really nice workouts in!

Thanks for stopping by, too. I hope to keep this updated with successes. :)