1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deep Fried Turkey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by JKulp42757, Nov 20, 2006.

1. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

Well this isn't healthy, but it's Thanksgiving so who cares!

I have never deep fried a turkey before, so I had a test run Saturday night to make sure I didn't screw it up on Thanksgiving. It went well, Turkey was good, and no fires!

What I am looking for is a good marinade to inject, and a dry rub for the outside, and suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Fried at the right heat it can be VERY healthy, just don't eat the skin :D

But in the words of Jeffrey Steingarten, the skin is the only thing on the turkey worth eating! :tu:

3. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Look on virtualweberbullet.com for lots of good turkey brine information. It's a meat smoking site, but I imagine the brine will work for frying, too.

4. ToddB

ToddB Well-Known Member

Just do yourself a favor and do your homework on the silly deep fryers. There have been so many DA's that fill the oil up too much, drop the turkey in, spilling the oil onto the flame/heating element, and setting the joint on fire.

5. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Steal Colonel Sanders recipe, start your own food chain.
    "Kentucky Fried Turkey"

6. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

Ya, I did my homework, as it can be dangerous. I fried a turkey Saturday night to try it out. Worked great, and no fires, no oil spills!

7. buckeyeblitzer

buckeyeblitzer Active Member

:drool: mmmmmm....Fried turkey...mmmmmm:drool:

8. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Member

Everyone around here says to use peanut oil,but I didn't know if anoyher oil would help or hurt,canola,corn,etc.

9. needachange

needachange Active Member

I've never had Fried Turkey before I sure would love to try it sometime I've heard nothing but great things about how great it tastes. I have had smoked turkey before wich was absolutely awesome so I can imagine a deep fried turkey tasting very good as well.

10. Lael_TG

Lael_TG Well-Known Member

I can't speak for fried turkey, but normally I use a seasoning rub of salt and a bit of pepper that will keep the moisture in the turkey. Brine is good as well, but it's problematic in that too much salt can make the turkey taste, well, too salty, and a long marinating time can make the turkey soggy. Traditional oven cooking also helps dry out the turkey, but I'd think a deep fried turkey wouldn't be have the heat sustained long enough to remove the brine completely.

So, given that internal dialogue, I'd suggest lightly seasoning the tukey with salt and pepper the morning of the meal, then deep fry it.

:tu:

-L

11. spare_tire

spare_tire Active Member

What I did:

Brine 24 hours in a brine made up of: salt, garlic, water, onions, pepper

Dry completely, dry rub of Emeril's Essence. Cook 3-5mins per pound and you have a damn tasty turkey! Breast temp should reach 180 F with a thermometer.