1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deeman's Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Deeman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

BACKGROUND:
    Always been a little chubby. Lost alot of weight in highschool the wrong way by not really eating much, drinking alot of water, alot of cardio via lacrosse.. lost 45lbs in about 4mo. <-i know.. WAY TOO FAST.
    Went from 5'8" 210lbs > 165lbs. life was good.:D

Wasnt long before i started putting the weight back on. Caught myself getting fat again @ ~180lbs which is when i started to cut back on my eating again to restrict the weight gain.

Went to college - drank, smoked, late night food - you know the deal.. got up to 195.:doh:

Came back home - got a desk job - sat on my lazy :moon: and got up to 200.

Started eating better w/cleaner foods - got down to 195.

THIS IS WHERE I BEGIN MY TRANSFORMATION!!:claphigh:

I'm still in the planning phase.. although I HAVE STARTED DIET/EXCERCISE. It was explained by someone in another thread that the best way to get started is to just start & then tweak it from there. so that's what i'm doing!
    Later on today I'll be posting my workout regiment & diet.

thx to all who end up following me & providing support.

BEFORE: 08/30/2010 - 5'11" - 195lbs
    CURRENT: 09/15/2010 - 188lbs

#1 Deeman, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

#2 Deeman, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  3. BJ

BJ Active Member

Welcome! You can do it... tune in your diet and lift weights! Our stories are very similar... I look forward to tracking your results. Remember... the only way not to succeed is to quit!

Hey... that advice sounds somewhat familiar :confused:

4. BJ

BJ Active Member

5. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

haha yeah - some of the best advice i got so far.

6. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

and yet another good piece of advice. i read this a few days ago and will likely read it again if i ever start feeling like i cant do it.. because i know i can & will.

7. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

UPDATE: (still in the planning phase - continuing to eat well / work out in the meantime)

DIET:
    Still working to tweak my diet.. looks like i need to get a heart rate monitor (to assist in calculating appropriate cal deficit) & food scale for accurate measuring.
    I'm currently eating 1800cals/day w/a 40/40/20 split.. about 3L of water a day, protein shake immediately after workouts, etc.

WORKOUT:
    Resistance: I've been doing as much resistance as I can MWF in my gym w/ the equipment I have & have been logging it to see where adjustments need to be made.

Cardio: is on TR. I get on the bike & set my goal to 300 cals, but i dont know how accurate the HR monitor is on the machine... another reason to get a heart rate monitor!

I'll probably end up buying the Polar F4 since it will tell me how many cals i've burned & seems to be pretty popular.
    http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Polar-F4-Heart-Rate-Monitor-P1168C98.aspx?UserID=9335260&SessionID=aeEfUX29hIx0Ob07Zuzq

THINGS I NEED TO DO:
    -inventory the equipment in the gym so that I can identify all teh excercise i can do.. (WHATS THE WEBSITE THAT TELLS ME WHAT EXCERCISES I CAN DO WITH WHICH EQUIPMENT)? I then need to adjust my work out to include all neccessities (still reading on a good 3 day work out).
    -purchase HR monitor
    -purchase food scale
    -after ordering/receiving HR monitor.. find out on avg how many cals i'm burning on resistance & cardio days.. take the cals and adjust the diet.
    -literally JUST received FatTrack II w/myo tape.. so when i get home I'm going to take measurements.

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

www.exrx.net is a great resource for exercises...

you can use any of these templates... http://exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

when you pick one it will give you the list of muscles to work... click on a muscle and it'll give you a list of exercises to choose from... click on the workout and it'll show a little video of someone doing it so you can understand the form.

as far as the food scale... I'm pretty sure ours came from Walmart... nothing fancy, just make sure it has a tare function

the heart rate monitor... let me assure you that cardio is not really necessary if you're killing it while lifting. If you are though going to do cardio I highly recommend a monitor. Mine helps me a lot know how hard to push myself. I'd check craigslist in your local area before you buy one... so many people sell fitness equipment for less than 1/2 of what they paid for it (and never used it anyway)

9. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

thx BJ! - i got this site from one of your postings, but didnt understand how to use it. after clicking around i managed to find out how to use it.

now i just need to figure out how to get the job done w/the equipment available. we don't have a barbell, but do have a vertical press... vert press isnt event listed on the site.. :confused:.

i'm going to work on the excercise plan and hopefully have a posting later today.

10. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Alright guys.. I think I got it.. based off of the website above & a list of equipment I have in my gym.. i've compiled a list.

I started here:
    http://exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1PPPP.html
    and decided to do..
    Full Body Work out - Alternating Push/Pull - Thighs, Chest, Shoulders, Back, Arms... on MWF (cardio will be TR)

I've compiled a list:

View attachment 35257

It's a ZIP file w/a MSExcel 97-2003 .xls file enclosed. If you have Office 97-2007 or OpenOffice, you should be able to open it w/out problem.

My question now is.. how many do I do of each? Should I just choose one excercise from each muscle group? What's the recommended sets/reps for each excercise?

On another note.. didn't have time to make my eggs/oatmeal this morning so i'll be having that for dinner.

Back to the gym tomorrow!

#10 Deeman, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  11. BJ

BJ Active Member

I am by no means an expert... but following HIT principles worked very well for me during my initial cutting phase. It basically calls for a full body workout (which is what you are planning)... do 8-12 reps... 1 set with progressive loading. So... pick a weight and start with it. If you can't get 8 reps, go down in weight next exercise... if you can get more than 12 reps, go up by ~10% next workout. Just keep following this and your strength should progress. The key is though that you have to PUSH yourself to go to muscle failure on every set... taking about 3 seconds to go down, and 3 seconds to go back up. And pick just one exercise per muscle group...

This will probably need to be tweaked as you go, but it'll be a good start.

12. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

(confused) you only accounted for 1 set.. is HIT only 1 set because you push yourself to muscle failure???

i've kind of been pushing myself to muscle failure already.. 3seconds up /3seconds down might take some getting use to tho!!

Thx again BJ.

On another note - this weeks diet will be posted @ the top of the post in a minute...
    [​IMG]

next week i'll change it up to hopefuly exclude turkey(and/or) 2nd dinner veggie burger from my everyday diet (too much sodium). eventually i want to work 2 protein shakes into my diet.. 1 in the morning w/oatmeal (sooooo good) and 1 post-work out.

getting my HR monitor next friday!

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

If you want to learn more about it I'd suggest this...

http://www.amazon.com/New-High-Intensity-Training-Muscle-Building/dp/1594860009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283515576&sr=8-1

It's just 1 set because you are working every muscle group to failure 3x per week.

I feel it is an excellent way to start... an excellent program for cutting (without the need for cardio) - refer to my 1st Journal, or Ca$on's 1st journal (he lost 100#!)

I'm not sure of it's long term ability to build massive muscles though

14. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

I WAS HOPING YOU WOULD SAID THAT!!

i remember reading about that when i originally went thru your cut journal. i'll have to pick that up when i get paid again.. and i'll be sure to get the right book the 1st time.. :lol:

anyway.. here's whats going on today..
    went to the gym today and attempted my 1st HIT full body work out. i really liked it. had a good steady heart rate going w/a decent amount of sweat by the end. i still need my HRmonitor to gauge how much work i'm really doing.

Quads - Dumbell Squats
    80lbs x 12
    90lbs x 9, the 9th was really hard to come up from
    next week - starting w/100lbs since im pretty sure i couldve done it had i started w/it.

Hamstrings - Dumbbell Straight Leg Deadlift
    80lbs x 9, the 9th was difficult to come up from

Chest - Dumbbell Fly
    20lbs per arm x 12 - next week i will up the weight.
    where do people usually start w/this weight? i feel like 20lbs isnt really much of anything, but it was a little difficult for me. i hope that its just because ive never done that excercise and that i'll slowly get use to it.

Deltoid - One Arm Upright Row
    120lbs x 10 - both L/R.. hope i can up this next week.

Calves - there isnt a step up in my gym!!! i tried standing on the stands of some of the equipment, but it didnt work. I think I'm going to have to go buy some wood, make one, and bring it in lol. I'll need to look up the optimal height before i make it.

Back - Dumbbell Bent-over Row
    40lbs x 12 - #12 was really difficult, but i'm upping the weight next week.

Triceps - Lever Triceps Extension (machine)
    120lbs x 9 - i noticed myself going too quickly when i was returning the weight to its original location. i think i'm going to take teh weight down a bit so that i can control it better next week for the entire 3secUP/3secDOWN.

Biceps - Dumbbell Curl
    25lbs x 9 - this is where I REALLY FELT what 3secs up/down can do. by #9.. my muscles were really feeling it. hope to get on to 30lbs soon!

Abdominal - Cable Kneeling Crunch w/rope
    150lbs x 9 - i had poor form. i wrote down how to do it, but didnt do it right (after reviewing the animated picture on exrx). will try again next week. i could feel the burn in my forearms a little bit which i dont think is right.

anyway - time to get back to work. almost 1 week down & feeling great!

15. BJ

BJ Active Member

Good workout... now... how's the diet going? In my opinion, diet is 2/3 of the battle, working out is 1/3. You can't get there without both, but diet is definitely more important.

Again though... it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing switch... rather, a gradual change that you can live with and maintain & improve upon that

Also, you may have already said it, but I don't remember... have you taken pictures? You really should... even if you never share them... it'll be fun to look back at later down the journey.

16. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

diet has been going great. i posted my diet for the week yesterday (should be a thumbnail from yesterday). its ~1800 cals.

i really feel like i can do anything if im informed and put my mind to it. i've been sticking to my diet & i'm actually satisfied.. im not usually hungry after i eat. i will be adjusting my diet again once i get my heart rate monitor next week!

hell yeah i took some pix, but im not posting them until i can see some progress. the scale is saying i've made progress, but i wont know for sure until my 30day pix.

life is good!

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Awesome work... but don't rely on the HRM to adjust your diet... see what your weight loss rate is and adjust from there... if it's too fast, add 200 cal... too slow, drop 200

Don't be surprised in the beginning if you drop as much as 4 lbs / week... but also remember that weight loss is not linear. Don't over react based on 1 week... always give it 2 or 3

Keep cranking brother. As long as you keep doing what you're doing you'll hit your goals!

18. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

yeah its been WORK maintaing the diet and staying true to my excercising, but i definitely feel it paying off. Aside from quitting smoking... excercise & eating right has provided me w/a greater amount of energy which im really enjoying and don't want to ever lose again.

i was thinking by tweaking my diet after obtaining my HRM, I could better equate exactly how many cals i should be eating, but you're right in that gauging my weight loss is another way to calculate how many cals/day i should be consuming. still, i want the HRM.

i hear you about the diet.. i understand a great deal of it is water weight, but its great to see SOME progress on teh scale which is a sign i must be doing something right. moving forward, i think im going to start taking measurements every 10 days, weight every Wednesday, and pix every 2weeks-month. i think the pics are most important as its an actual visual representation of the progress i've made and will hopefuly persuade others to pursue a healthier lifestyle by seeing my results.

19. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

my wk 1-3 diet

[​IMG]

This is my current diet.
    1800 cals
    18.8% fat
    44.5% carbs
    36.5% protein

It usually goes as follows..
    **wake up...
    -make oatmeal & eat it fast.. i hate the taste.
    -make scrambeled eggs in the microwave.. i put steak seasoning on it since it is essentially just peppers and adds alot of flavor so that i dont get tired of eggs everyday.

**go to work
    -eat 1/2C cottage cheese
    -eat banana

**workout MWF
    -have protein shake (everyday)

**continue working
    -have banana & sanwich (2 pieces of bread.. 6 slices of turkey)

**continue working
    -snack on 2oz peanuts
    -1/2C cottage cheese just before i leave for the day

**go home
    -run errands.. have 1 veggie burger w/steak seasoning to add flavor.. ontop of 1 toasted piece of whole grain.

my appetite is actually very surpressed w/this diet which is something i really like about it.

after 2-3 weeks when i can accurately gauge what my weight loss/wk is.. i will tweak it appropriately.

20. BJ

BJ Active Member

absolutely agree