1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

December 2011 TSM: NCNBilly

Discussion in 'Transformation Spotlights' started by John Stone, Dec 1, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

For the December 2011 Transformation Spotlight I've selected long-time forum member "NCNBilly" (Billy). Billy has been an active member of the JSF Forums since the very first week of their inception (January 21, 2004). Some people prefer to undergo a relatively fast and dramatic transformation, while others make changes that are gradually incorporated into their lives over a longer period of time. Neither approach is wrong, it really boils down to which method works best for you and your lifestyle. Billy is in the later camp, and a fantastic example of the long-term success one can achieve using the slow and steady strategy. The differences in Billy's current physique, overall health, strength and even his personality are like night and day compared to the person who joined the JSF forums almost eight years ago.

BEFORE (205 pounds / ~20% body fat / 36"waist):
    Front02012004.JPG

CURRENT (172 pounds / ~8% body fat / 30" waist):
    front1.jpg side.jpg

back1.jpg

Why did you decide to make a transformation?
    Since I was a teenager, I'd always wanted to be able to take my shirt off in public. I was always tall for my age, but I ate terribly growing up and as a result was textbook 'skinny fat'. I was very non-athletic, choosing instead to sit in my room and program on the computer or play guitar. I went along like this for years, until I met the love of my life and we both decided that we wanted to be in shape for our wedding. Little did I know then the path that I was headed down.

What sort of planning did you do before you started?
    Unfortunately, very little. I basically continued to eat like crap, but added cardio and haphazard weight training. I made some gains, and it only fueled the fire to begin learning more and more about my body and how it worked. I absolutely refused to even try protein powder - that stuff is for muscle heads, right?

What were your initial goals?
    Looking good (and fitting into my Grandfathers tux) were really the only goals I had. I didn't have a target weight or body fat percentage in mind, but since I could barely bench press a standard Olympic bar that seemed like a good first goal. It was the accomplishment of these goals that lead to me hiring Chris Janusz (Swolecat) and get a proper training regimen to get shredded.

What was your diet and supplement intake like?
    Initially, my diet was definitely not optimal and I took no supplements outside of a multi-vitamin. Through the years I've tried numerous things but have made quality protein, fish oil, and BCAA powder a staple. For me, nothing else is worth the money. Since my love of coffee is probably pretty well known, I should probably list that as well.

What was your training like?
    I typically workout 3 times a week, sometimes I'll get a 4th in depending on the goals and if I feel recovered. I've tried numerous programs and find that a split routine works well for me and allows maximum recovery between workouts.

I detest cardio, so I do as little as possible. I heat my home in the winter almost entirely with wood, so cutting, splitting, stacking, and hauling firewood pretty much fills this requirement.

What obstacles did you encounter, and how did you overcome them?
    Other people's jealousy is probably the hardest to deal with, especially from close friends that you'd never expect. When I am in strict diet-mode, I tend to avoid social situations where I might be tempted to indulge.

The biggest obstacle honestly was myself. Changing my own habits was incredibly difficult. The mental and physical aspects especially while cutting was something that I wasn't really prepared for. Staying focused on my goals and taking things one meal and one workout at a time helped a lot as did setting both short term and long term goals.

How has your life changed?
    I've always been a quiet, shy, computer nerd kind of guy. I would tend to hide in the corner in social situations, and I HATED meeting new people. When I started hitting my goals everything changed. I felt empowered and my self-confidence skyrocketed (my wife would possibly say too much at times). I love going out and meeting people, and I finally feel good in my own skin.

How did John Stone Fitness and/or the JSF Forums help you?
    TREMENDOUSLY. It's no doubt that I wouldn't have met my goals without JSF. I've been a member for many, many years and have been inspired by so many people. Not only by their successes, but also by their defeats and how people have bounced back from some seriously huge obstacles. It really gives perspective and motivation on those days where you need it most – those are the times that make or break you.

What advice would you offer to others?
    Set your goals, make a plan, stick to it, reevaluate in a few weeks. Just about every program will work to some degree, but it's up to you to follow it. Don't change too often when you are starting out, it takes 6-12 weeks before you can really tell whether something is working. Be diligent in your measurements and don't focus on scale weight – watch the mirror, check your body fat %, and measure key areas (waist, legs, arms) to see what's happening.

What are your future plans?
    Keep on keepin' on. Fitness, once engrained into your daily life, is a never ending journey. As you progress, your goals will change. I'm focusing on rebuilding strength at the moment, having just come off a pretty effective cut. I have a few lagging body parts that will be my focus until Spring when I cut again for the Summer.

Any closing thoughts?
    Each workout is an opportunity to prove to yourself that you CAN achieve your goals. Go in with 100% focus and do your best each and every time. Always try to do more, go heavier, move quicker, and push the boundaries. You may fail, but the only real failure is not getting back up.

Congratulations on all of your many successes, Billy! You've done a fantastic job.

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Congralutions! :jumping:

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

CONGRATS, BILLY!

4. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Nice going.

5. user786

user786 Active Member

Well Done :)

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congratulations!

7. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I could never have made it this far without the support of the people here, especially John and Mastover. Their advice and inspiration has been invaluable in my ongoing transformation.

I've made some great friends here, many of whom I've never even met face to face. I am also very lucky to have a spouse who put up with the years of meticulous diet plans and workout schedules in our very hectic lives.

This has been and continues to be one of the best experiences in my life.

8. T-1 Sella

T-1 Sella Active Member

FAntastic Job!!!!:tucool:

9. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Great job Billy! Those of us here know the hard work and discipline it takes to get where you are. I look forward to seeing your continued progress in the months to come.

10. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

A most-stellar transformation. Kudos!

11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Nice job! :tucool:

12. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

yah buddy!!! ur hard work has definitely paid off. :cool::cool:

inspiring!

13. BJ

BJ Active Member

14. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Way to go Billy! Excellent work.

15. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy to have met you in person... we need to hang again in 2012!

16. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

congratulations, that's a great transformation. you look like a different person.

17. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

I think the band will be playing at the Winter Classic on the 1st, or a bar close by to it. We've hooked up with the Claddagh Charities based in Philly, so we'll be down there a lot more. :)

18. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Keep me postered.