1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Deadlifts while sore form squats?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by luke77, Aug 4, 2005.

1. luke77

luke77 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I am looking for some advice on my routine...I just finished a week off from lifting and am starting a new routine. It's a basic 3-day split, with legs/shoulders on monday, chest/triceps on wednesday, and back/biceps on friday. My previous routine was total crap, basically I was working only my upper body and neglecting my lower body because I was doing quite a bit of cardio and didn't want to overwork my legs. So on monday I did squats for the first time in months. On tuesday my legs felt good, but wednesday and today (thursday) I was so sore it's an effort to walk. I'm not worried, in fact I like the feeling that I had a really great workout, but I'm guessing that my legs will still be pretty sore tomorrow. My problem is, I'm working my back tomorrow and my most important exercise of the day is deadlifts. If my legs are as sore as they are now I'm sure that I won't be able to do my deads very well because deads use the legs just as much as the back. So if you were me, would you put off the leg day until saturday (or even sunday if I'm still sore) or would you lift on friday and just do your best to struggle through the deads? Or would you go ahead and do the regular workout on friday, minus the deads? Sorry if I'm being too anal about this, but this is the first real "bulk" that I've ever done and I don't want to screw up.

Also, one more related question. To focus on adding muscle I have cut out all "planned" cardio...instead, I'm pretty much going to do it when I feel like it (on off days) and adjust my diet accordingly for the extra calories. My question is, if I go do some moderate intensity running, say, the day after leg day, will this in any way inhibit my gains in the legs? I know that it's not good to work the legs more than once a week (unless you are doing hst or whatever, and I'm doing much too many sets for that), and so I'm kind of concerned that by "working" my legs the day after leg day, it will somehow screw up muscle gain.

Thanks very much for any advice or opinions.
    Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Luke

#1 luke77, Aug 4, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Eat a lot more protein today and make sure you get a good 8-10 hours of sleep. Do your deadlifts like normal tomorrow. Hopefully the extra protein and a good night's rest will encourage your body to get some quality recovery.

3. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I guess I can't figure out why deadlifts are the most important exercise on back day... I do deadlifts to work my hamstrings. (I do not deny that deads work the lower back, but they would have to be considered seconday to the upper leg)

I say move the deads to leg day and choose several from: low rows, pull downs, DB rows, pull ups, or hyperextensions on back day. (Hyperextensions hit lower back)

Of course, thats just my $0.02,
    :gl:

4. luke77

luke77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. So do you do both deads and squats on leg day? I meant that it was my most important exercise because it's my "heaviest" exercise - ie the one that takes the most energy out of me and works the greatest number of muscles. I guess that is one alternative, to do deads and squats both on leg day, I guess I'm a little bit wary of that because both exercises are so intense. Thanks again.

Luke

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

If you are doing deads for hamstrings, use dumbells, after you finish squatting. If you're using dealifts for back development ( with an olympic bar pulling from the floor) do these on back day. For additional recovery benefits, I would schedule squats and deadlifts on alternating weeks. In other words, I would not squat and deadlift in the same week.

6. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

If you are doing deads correctly, they are a massive leg and lower body exercise. I do squats and deads in the same week, separated by 72 hours, but my recovery is probably better than yours (since you're just starting back out). I say take it easy this week, and go light. If you're going to do deads on a different day, I suggest an upper/lower, 4-day split.

7. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I do both squats and deads on the same day... My leg day is murder.
    Many would argue that two intense exercises like these should be done on different days. I can't say that I disagree with that, but, I prefer hitting the major muscle groups once a week. I don't think that it would be optimal for me to do legs twice a week. However, everyone works out in their own way. Find whatever works best for you... but I would not recommend doing deadlifts with sore hamstrings. Unless you do some MAJOR warming up and stretching.

Nothing will put you out of commission like a pulled hamstring. I pulled one playing basketball wwwaaaayyyy back in high school, and it took nearly a year before it felt "normal."

Better safe than sorry...

8. chris mason

chris mason Well-Known Member
    Official Sponsor

Interesting question.

There are many variables involved.

There are essentially 2 kinds of deadlifters. There are "back" deadlifters and "leg" deadlifters. In other words, there are individuals whose deadlift almost resembles a stiff-legged deadlift (me) and then there are those who use much more leg drive. Those that are naturally good squatters will also tend to be "leg" deadlifters.

I know I am simplifying matters quite a bit but I think it is ok in this case.

Now, if you are a "back" deadlifter you might actually find that deadlifting while still recovering from your leg day can be of great benefit in terms of recovery for your legs. It essentially becomes a form of active recovery.

If you are a "leg" deadlifter then I would recommend you give yourself a bit more recovery time between squatting and deadlift sessions.

It is also fine to do both on the same day if you are amenable to it.